Slavery alive and well in the UK

Something to think about when bemoaning the Taiwan buxiban industry. These people are all legally entitled to work in the UK. The Poles don’t need work permits, and the Filipina nurses have work permits. So thank God you’re not a foreigner working for a low wage in the UK. (I suspect however the difference will be that there are umpteen agencies who will jump on this and that the public will give a shit - unlike the Taiwanese public.)

guardian.co.uk/Refugees_in_B … 64,00.html

[quote]The house the Poles had been taken to, in an anonymously respectable cul-de-sac in a quiet Exeter suburb that forms part of the Labour minister Ben Bradshaw’s constituency, was unremarkable outside. Inside there was no furniture, just mountains of rubbish, piles of syringes, soiled mattresses on the floor, and a terrible smell. They slept on the bare mattresses that night and were taken by the minivan to their 2-10pm shift the next day.

Twenty Poles were in the house the night the Guardian visited, 10 of whom were sleeping there, three and four to a small room, with the other 10 in another small house nearby. It was after 11pm and they had just been driven back from their late shift putting Sainsbury’s chicken portions on plastic trays at the state-of-the-art Lloyd Maunder meat factory near Tiverton.

Even a cursory glance showed that there was something seriously wrong with their national insurance numbers - several of them had the same one. They were having tax deducted at the high emergency rate, though the tax office said it had not yet received payments for them.

“I came to this free country as a free man wanting to work hard. I feel robbed, robbed of my rights. How can this happen?” he said.

In February this year 30 nurses from the Philippines, employed in the south Glasgow University Hospitals NHS trust, were found to be receiving just

i read this too, but it was a different Meat packaging company, but the immgirants were Chinese. not Poles or Flips

[quote=“hexuan”]Something to think about when bemoaning the Taiwan buxiban industry. These people are all legally entitled to work in the UK. The Poles don’t need work permits, and the Filipina nurses have work permits. So thank God you’re not a foreigner working for a low wage in the UK. (I suspect however the difference will be that there are umpteen agencies who will jump on this and that the public will give a shit - unlike the Taiwanese public.)

[quote]The house the Poles had been taken to, in an anonymously respectable cul-de-sac in a quiet Exeter suburb that forms part of the Labour minister Ben Bradshaw’s constituency, was unremarkable outside. Inside there was no furniture, just mountains of rubbish, piles of syringes, soiled mattresses on the floor, and a terrible smell. They slept on the bare mattresses that night and were taken by the minivan to their 2-10pm shift the next day.

Twenty Poles were in the house the night the Guardian visited, 10 of whom were sleeping there, three and four to a small room, with the other 10 in another small house nearby. It was after 11pm and they had just been driven back from their late shift putting Sainsbury’s chicken portions on plastic trays at the state-of-the-art Lloyd Maunder meat factory near Tiverton.

Even a cursory glance showed that there was something seriously wrong with their national insurance numbers - several of them had the same one. They were having tax deducted at the high emergency rate, though the tax office said it had not yet received payments for them.

“I came to this free country as a free man wanting to work hard. I feel robbed, robbed of my rights. How can this happen?” he said.

In February this year 30 nurses from the Philippines, employed in the south Glasgow University Hospitals NHS trust, were found to be receiving just

[quote=“hexuan”]Something to think about when bemoaning the Taiwan buxiban industry. These people are all legally entitled to work in the UK. The Poles don’t need work permits, and the Filipina nurses have work permits. So thank God you’re not a foreigner working for a low wage in the UK. (I suspect however the difference will be that there are umpteen agencies who will jump on this and that the public will give a shit - unlike the Taiwanese public.)

[quote]The body of Ling Guoguang, one of 23 Chinese cockle-pickers drowned at England’s Morecambe Bay in February, finally came home for burial in his hometown of Youyi village in rural Fujian province on 5th November…

The cockle pickers were out making the most of the annual shellfish harvest on a stretch of sand in the beach resort of Morcambe Bay, northwest England. The seaside town has a reputation in the UK for two things - as Victorian-era holiday destination, and for its galloping tides that sweep in across the flats at breakneck speed, outpacing even fast cars.

It was one of these incoming tides - accompanied by winds screaming by at 20 knots and waves two meters high - that caught a group of Chinese migrant workers picking cockles out on the sands. The worker charged with watching the tide had fallen asleep on his watch (the result of a late night gambling session the prior evening). The deaths highlighted the lack of labor protection and the exploitation of migrant workers in England…[/quote]Source

The problem is that many if not most of the agencies responsible for migrant workers are agencies from within the countries which the migrants are from. Many of the migrant workers are working illegally hence the fact that there is no protection - the government doesn’t know they exist.

There have been a few half hearted crackdowns on rogue agencies in the past few years but it reality little impact has been made.

Just a heads up, I don’t think you said that to be offensive, but that’s an ethnic slur word. I wouldn’t use it around Filipinos any more than I’d use “Japs” around Japanese. Just so you know.

Slavery is still alive and well even in America. Via Vis the sex industry and in some homes, where Africans are still being recuited over to work in the homes of their hirers.

The plight of the SE Asians has always been interesting to me when i had a growning interest in following HK news. I came to the bottom line.

Many of these people whom are working in these industries are coming from places where they already have no sense of value. While they are seeking to gain value by going abroad, their conditions are reinforcements of thier beliefs. When they begin to see themeselves as people who already have ‘value’ and their governments begin to see it also, then they will move outside this. By the way, this is from a spiritual point of view.

Point is, we either need to aid people with a sense of value or the people who view themselves need to learn it. Once we do, then we can be free of slavery in all it’s forms.

[quote=“Namahottie”]Slavery is still alive and well even in America. Via Vis the sex industry and in some homes, where Africans are still being recuited over to work in the homes of their hirers.

The plight of the SE Asians has always been interesting to me when I had a growning interest in following HK news. I came to the bottom line.

Many of these people whom are working in these industries are coming from places where they already have no sense of value. While they are seeking to gain value by going abroad, their conditions are reinforcements of thier beliefs. When they begin to see themeselves as people who already have ‘value’ and their governments begin to see it also, then they will move outside this. By the way, this is from a spiritual point of view.

Point is, we either need to aid people with a sense of value or the people who view themselves need to learn it. Once we do, then we can be free of slavery in all it’s forms.[/quote]
:bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

[quote]And the domestic employee slavery problem has been a constant problem with foreign Consular and UN personel employees from various African and south Asian countries. It seems they advertise for workers in their countries, bring them to the USA, confiscate their passports and visa papers, then hold these poor people in a slave position in their domeciles.
Of course when this is found out about, they loudly proclaim ‘Diplo Immunity’ and send their personal slaves packing back to bongo bongo land with nary a care for their well being. [/quote]
Arab diplomats in the UK are notorious for this. Some Saudi prince or other in London a few years back got off with murdering a slave he’d brought over from Saudi. Wasn’t even a diplomat.

I once dined at the same restaurant in London as a minor Saudi aristocrat. The royal was eating with his hands like a pig and making

[quote=“Chewycorns”]I once dined at the same restaurant in London as a minor Saudi aristocrat. The royal was eating with his hands like a pig and making

[quote=“Chewycorns”]I once dined at the same restaurant in London as a minor Saudi aristocrat. The royal was eating with his hands like a pig and making

Post that was part of this thread deleted for pc reasons:

Slavery in the US examples with a politically incorrect joke attached

Erm…they do. Just look at the majority of expats here who toe the line and try their best to fit in.

Erm…they do. Just look at the majority of expats here who toe the line and try their best to fit in.[/quote]

Maybe we expat types are the stupid ones for trying to follow the “When in Rome” rule? No doubt if we went the way of this Saudi aristocrat here in Taiwan, we’d be taken to task for being a royal twit?

Erm…they do. Just look at the majority of expats here who toe the line and try their best to fit in.[/quote]
Are you sure? I mean correcting older people, confronting individuals for their driving behavior (in their own country), telling children not to speak with their mouths full, is this toeing the line…I think not. (Not to mention, trying to start groups advocating animal rights, maids rights, etc…this isn’t toeing the line this is interfering in the natural progression of a culture).

I’d say members of the international community who get involved in a positive way are participating in the society and contributing to it.

I’d say members of the international community who get involved in a positive way are participating in the society and contributing to it.[/quote]
Of course you would…and I’d say they are sticking their big fat noses where they didn’t belong and weren’t welcome. Is it great to agree to disagree?
P.S.
Try that in the deep south where people own guns and use them. :wink:

I’d say members of the international community who get involved in a positive way are participating in the society and contributing to it.[/quote]
Of course you would…and I’d say they are sticking their big fat noses where they didn’t belong and weren’t welcome. Is it great to agree to disagree?[/quote]

What Vannyel??? That retort is a bit strange in my book…For example-When Maoman was talking to the mayor about the language on the MTR I don’t think he was sticking his big fat nose in it. I think he was trying to contribute something that was positive for both sides. That’s one example of many things people do here. I think that it’s natural for one no matter where they are to want to contribute something, its something that makes you feel apart of the whole, unless you don’t want to be apart of it.