Slavery alive and well in the UK

I’d say members of the international community who get involved in a positive way are participating in the society and contributing to it.[/quote]
Of course you would…and I’d say they are sticking their big fat noses where they didn’t belong and weren’t welcome. Is it great to agree to disagree?[/quote]

What Vannyel??? That retort is a bit strange in my book…For example-When Maoman was talking to the mayor about the language on the MTR I don’t think he was sticking his big fat nose in it. I think he was trying to contribute something that was positive for both sides. That’s one example of many things people do here. I think that it’s natural for one no matter where they are to want to contribute something, its something that makes you feel apart of the whole, unless you don’t want to be apart of it.[/quote]
Contributing to a society is one thing, trying to mold it into the mirror image of your own is another. That’s all I am saying. Do I think Taiwan could have a better xxxxxx sure and I will tell you yyyyyy will make it better but I won’t say you’re wrong because you don’t have yyyyyy. Different strokes for different folks.
One exampel, Thirty years ago in the 9th grade I argued that manual street sweeping would give more people jobs. Well now I see it and I still agree with it.

Erm…they do. Just look at the majority of expats here who toe the line and try their best to fit in.[/quote]
Are you sure? I mean correcting older people, confronting individuals for their driving behavior (in their own country), telling children not to speak with their mouths full, is this toeing the line…I think not. (Not to mention, trying to start groups advocating animal rights, maids rights, etc…this isn’t toeing the line this is interfering in the natural progression of a culture).{emphasis mine}[/quote]

Define natural progression here.

Sounds too much like the Prime Directive.

??

Happens in my country. When I was 17 I got ranted at by an French businessman for parking my car on a bend. (I’d actually broken down and he helped me push it in the end). Locals confront drivers here. The occurence of bad driving in Taiwan just happens to be much higher. If I went to the States and someone cut me up or nearly killed me I’m damn sure I would get out and knock his head off. I dont here because I know its the norm.

I’m sorry, is this a western culture only? With all the parents and children I know this is the norm in Taiwan. Kids arentaught manners in Taiwan, too, by their parents.

And with all the millions of ethnically diverse people in my country forming their own organisations, schools, businesses, becoming members of parliament, receiving bemnefits, passports, their own radio and TV channels, rightsgroups, recognition groups- are they not somehow interfereing with the natural progression of British culture??

I could say the same for the US.

Are you assuming that talking while you are eating is bad manners in Taiwan?
Maybe it’s not. I really don’t know.

The key word here being passports…they went to the trouble of becoming citizens and not just migrant workers…but let’s not go there again.

It is my prime directive. And I like the prime directive. :wink:

[quote]Are you assuming that talking while you are eating is bad manners in Taiwan?
Maybe it’s not. I really don’t know. [/quote]

Actually what I meant is that parents do (at least I have witnessed) pull there kids up about speaking with their mouths full.

(Looking at my last post I can see I made a bollox - up with my typing)

[quote]The key word here being passports…they went to the trouble of becoming citizens and not just migrant workers…but let’s not go there again.
[/quote]

This is Taiwan. As YC stated, when in Rome…

Which sides are those? Has an expat been elected to represent me in Taipei? When? I seem to have missed the election.

Which sides are those? Has an expat been elected to represent me in Taipei? When? I seem to have missed the election.[/quote]
Demand a recall!!! Form an investigative committee, protest! But seriously, everyone knows…all Westerners in Taiwan are American, they all teach English and they are all upset about the lack of English being displayed in Taiwan (but then again, why would they move here if they wanted everything to be in English. I thought part of the ‘experience’ of living in another country was to be immersed in it).

Which sides are those? Has an expat been elected to represent me in Taipei? When? I seem to have missed the election.[/quote]
Demand a recall!!! Form an investigative committee, protest! But seriously, everyone knows…all Westerners in Taiwan are American, they all teach English and they are all upset about the lack of English being displayed in Taiwan (but then again, why would they move here if they wanted everything to be in English. I thought part of the ‘experience’ of living in another country was to be immersed in it).[/quote]

So how good are your speaking and reading skills in Mandarin, Vannyel?

Demand a recall!!! Form an investigative committee, protest! But seriously, everyone knows…all Westerners in Taiwan are American, they all teach English and they are all upset about the lack of English being displayed in Taiwan (but then again, why would they move here if they wanted everything to be in English. I thought part of the ‘experience’ of living in another country was to be immersed in it).[/quote]

So how good are your speaking and reading skills in Mandarin, Vannyel?[/quote]
Getting better every day, and yours? :wink:

Yes. Hear you loud and clear. Many years ago, an Irish seamstress migrated to Canada to escape the sweatshop labor in her homeland. She is Caucasian and Irish BTW.