Slavery and religion

What is your denomination ?

Seventh-Day Adventist.

1 Like

Mormon ?

NO! Seventh-Day Adventist.
Look it up adventist.org

Ok i checked on Wiki. Apologies for the confusion.

None of the above.

Most people in the US in those days were Christian.
A lot of Christians also supported slavery, and could quote scripture to back it up. Southern Baptists, for instance, who split with the Baptist church because of the southern support of slavery.

Yes, a schism actually occurred in US Christianity over slavery and abolition.

1 Like

I am reading a thick history book these days, currently learning about the 4th Crusade and the invasion of Europe by the Mongolians.

For about a thousand years after Jesus and Paul slavery remained very common in the Middle East and Europe. Slaves were just another commodity used for trade. It fell out of favor later on, not for morality reasons, but because more convenient commodities were traded. Humans are not practical as goods I guess.

Interestingly the Vikings were into slavery big time during their excursions to the East. The term slavery actually goes back to those times when Slavs were the victims of Viking raids.

It’s hard for us modern keyboard warriors to fathom how much cruelty was out there in those days. Slavery was just part of life and certainly not the most pressing matter on the minds of the church. If you read about the Crusades you’ll find that what motivated the Crusaders more than their faith was the chance of striking it rich in places like Constantinople, Jerusalem, and Egypt. The atrocities committed have been off the charts, all in the name of Christianity.

I also think there was always a clear distinction between Christians and the infidels when it came to treating others. So enslaving Christians might have been frowned upon while every one else was fair game.

That was pretty typical.