Sling Media Slingbox: Anyone used one for UK TV here?

Seems the only problem would be the ridiculous bandwith restrictions UK ISPs put on their ADSL services.

UNLIMITED! in the UK means “LIMITED!”

I estimate at least 300kbps up would be necessary. In the UK they don’t even advertise their upload speeds. No, it’s not SDSL. That’s still basically a leased line and costs £250 a month (although BT have the neck to talk to you about 1:10 contention ratios on what is effectively an SDSL connection but at leased line prices. Rip Off Britain again.)

So. How do I watch UK telly using this thing without falling foul of ISPs “fair use” policies? I accept the thing will need an ADSL connection all of its own… I mean I am happy to pay £20 a month to watch UK TV - even if it’s terrestrial TV only.

They have TV there? I thought they exported it all to the US :slight_smile:

We have it running on regular cable net in canada, and they have similar if more relaxed limits to there “unlimited” access. And it is fine.

Any decent always on net should work good.

Will you also need to pay a UK license fee?

[quote=“Edgar Allen”]Will you also need to pay a UK license fee?[/quote]You only need one per household, so as long as someone at that address has one you shouldn’t need another one.

[quote=“Chicken”]They have TV there? I thought they exported it all to the US :slight_smile:

We have it running on regular cable net in canada, and they have similar if more relaxed limits to there “unlimited” access. And it is fine.

Any decent always on net should work good.[/quote]

And so you just watch it on your computer here in Taiwan? Is it really any good. I just want to watch the Ten O’Clock News with Reginald Beaujolais and Anna Ford. Kinda miss that.

This seems so hard for people to believe. It is good and it works.

Its not great, your not getting full size or HDTV. But its better than utube , google vidio or them online vidio sights. Now I can watch anything that is on in B.C. Canada (at night) as it is -12 hrs to here :frowning:

If you have a PVR here or there that works too.