Slow internet

I am living in a flat in Kaohsiung and get a 2 megabit download rate, and often I have difficulty even opening web pages. I am using a P874 VDSL2 router connected to a TOTOLINK N150RT wifi extender. The landlord (who provided the internet) said he cannot help.

Has anyone got any advice? I can post more information if necessary.

What is the download rate vs. server response time? 2 mbs should be enough to load webpages.

If you have slow server response time, thereā€™s hope. Try using a 3rd party DNS. Many ISPs use their own DNS to try to make money off of ā€œsite not foundā€ advertisements. Eliminating this can help. (When you have a sloooow connection, every bit helps) OpenDNS, Google DNS, and cloudflare are all options.

But if itā€™s low download rate, thereā€™s not much you can do.

1 Like

Just to clarify, I am getting about 200ms but this is spiking (or maybe just dropping entirely?) frequently, during which nothing loads.

Is there absolutely nothing I can do about the download rate? Would I be better off finding an unlimited data plan for my mobile and using my it as a hot spot? I donā€™t need it for anything to intensive, mainly streaming television shows.

Close all browser tabs and anything else running that you can and go here:

Try at different times and see what speed you get. You may need a faster computer. It sounds like youā€™re not sharing a connection with other renters in the same building, but if thereā€™s a lot of activity in the area it can still affect your connection.

Getting latency test error at the moment. I will try to remember to try it again in the morning. And no, Iā€™m not sharing the connection. My laptop is an xps13 so I doubt itā€™s the laptopā€™s fault.

I thought it might be something to do with the P874 VDSL2 being connected to the TOTOLINK N150RT? My landlord insists that I cannot connect to the P874 without the TOTOLINK, but I can see a signal for p874? I do not know the password, and my laptop doesnā€™t have an ethernet cable port so I canā€™t check by directly connecting to the P874.

I had a look online. You should be able to connect to a P874 VDSL2 wirelessly. You can also try a USB ethernet port, which will slow things down. I have a different model from CHT without wireless, and I have one computer connected to it by ethernet. It is faster than using a router, but it really shouldnā€™t make a big difference for normal use. Iā€™d try a new router. Theyā€™re not that expensive, not if you can afford that laptop.

I once had a similar situation here in Taiwan. The password was ā€œadmin.ā€ It was a shared connection set up by the landlord and I ended up getting faster internet than my flamates :wink:

Try a combination of admin, dev, devdev, user, pass, userpass, etc.

Google search the model and see if anyone has posted the default password online.

If you can find the address of the P874 modem to load itā€™s admin page, CHT used to use the login ā€˜chtā€™ with password ā€˜chtsvdslā€™ or something like that, if you can get in to the admin area then you can reset the wifi password.

Yes, the admin page will likely be http://192.168.1.1

If not, check your IP.
One Windows: Windows Key + R > type ā€œcmdā€ > type ā€œipconfigā€
On Mac: Terminal > ifconfig

Replace the last number with 1.

Thanks for the replies. Iā€™ll look into getting a new router, and will just have to use my phone as a hot spot for the time being.