Slow train tickets

Hmm. Suppose this fits here

How or where can you buy slow train tickets.
HSR has a good English sight.

I can’t even find the normal rail

Would be traveling from linkous to tainan Monday the 4th.
Myself my wife and 2&4yr old daughter’s. Do small children pay? Or a half date or something?
Any advice is welcome

By slow do you mean the local trains? They don’t have pre-assigned seats.

For express, semi-express etc. try here: http://railway.hinet.net/Foreign/US/index.html

1 Like

thanks!
and… peoples personal experiences on the express trains?
my chinese friends disuaded me to travel on trains with my little girls as they say they tend to be dirty and crouded.
that has never been my experience in taiwan, but i never used a train to travel from taipei to the south.
used bus and HSR.
comments?

tks!

Buses are dirtier. The newer express trains are clean.

haha. i remember the busses back in 2008 being super tech and with huge plush neon leather seats
tks for the tip
found this
http://163.29.3.92/twrail/EN_QuickSearch.aspx
easier to read the stations, as you can do by area.
do you know how to pick express vs other trains?
i know i may need to go to a different station.
im going to google map it… but i assume the NCKU station in Tainan is Tainan station?

The local train tends to be crowded with factory workers from Southeast Asia on weekends. A lot of them travel via train and meet friends at the train stations to hang out.

Best take the express or semi-express train where you have assigned seats. You don’t want to be stuck on the local/slow train for that many hours without a seat with your girls. That could be a nightmare.

Bus cleanliness varies between different bus companies. I wouldn’t say all of them are dirty, but a majority of them are.

I find with the bus, some companies busses smell like mold in the AC… in fact quite often they have this smell. I’m starting to use the train more because of that

thanks guys. lookin at takin the 111, which is apparently an express, takes 2hr45min from Taoyuan to Tainan and costs 671 NTD x person. so, half of what the HRS would.
well, it says “Puyuma”
not sure what this is, but it is coded sky blue and is an hour faster than the “limited express” red trains.
askin for passport numbers to reserve, so i will prob do it tmrw.
tks guys

and if nayone knows whay Puyuma could be… curious.

https://www.railway.gov.tw/tw/ will give you a complete schedule of every train

Puyuma is a state-of-the-art express train. Pre-purchased tickets only, no standing passengers.

awesome, sounds like our ticket!
thanks!

so… i cant figure out how to order tix for kids…
but also, only one table of four is left. so maybe gonna do that. i remember from back in the day in europe, the table seats where the best.
it is however, saying that i have 2 days to pick up my tickets.
suggestions? is there no E-Ticket option? or is it always pay online with car/pickup at window?

You can pickup at 7-11/Family Mart.

yeah… i dont arrive in TW until june 1st is the thing… and need tix for the 4th… and right now all solo tix are sold out, and only one table of four seems to be available.from what i can gather. im gonna try to have my friend in Taoyuan get them for me(spendin the wknd w him n his fam)
tks for theheads up

Puyuma tickets are super hard to purchase. They get sniped by everyone as soon as they go on sale.