Slugger O'Toole - Notes on Northern Ireland Politics and Cul

[quote]#

Some of us are sick and tired of all the childish attacks on Bush and America on the BBC. We are forced on pain of fine or imprisonment to pay for the BBC - the BBC is required by Royal Charter to be politically neutral. But the BBC channels and its website are full of blatant bias. Sucking up to our real enemies - hell, the BBC can’t even call a terrorist a terrorist - and slagging off our most significant ally. And Gerry Robinson is just a shallow gabby fool. Grossly overpaid.

Here are a couple of antidotes to this endless a-historical BBC spin :

realclearpolitics.com/articl … erica.html

weeklystandard.com/Content/P … 4fhqwe.asp

conservativehome.blogs.com/platf … merie.html
Posted by dumbcisco on Jul 05, 2006 @ 08:47 PM[/quote]

What’s all this about?

Slugger O’Toole - Notes on Northern Ireland Politics and Culture

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]

What’s all this about?

Slugger O’Toole - Notes on Northern Ireland Politics and Culture[/quote]

Balanced news about Norn Iron? Sure who would want to read that?

[quote=“TainanCowboy”][quote]#

Some of us are sick and tired of all the childish attacks on Bush and America on the BBC. We are forced on pain of fine or imprisonment to pay for the BBC - the BBC is required by Royal Charter to be politically neutral. But the BBC channels and its website are full of blatant bias. Sucking up to our real enemies - hell, the BBC can’t even call a terrorist a terrorist - and slagging off our most significant ally. And Gerry Robinson is just a shallow gabby fool. Grossly overpaid.

Here are a couple of antidotes to this endless a-historical BBC spin :

realclearpolitics.com/articl … erica.html

weeklystandard.com/Content/P … 4fhqwe.asp

conservativehome.blogs.com/platf … merie.html
Posted by dumbcisco on Jul 05, 2006 @ 08:47 PM[/quote]

What’s all this about?

Slugger O’Toole - Notes on Northern Ireland Politics and Culture[/quote]

yes, the BBC has come in for some fierce criticism ever since they (under the former director) pointed out the lies and deception surrounding the runup to the Imperial style invasion and occupation of Iraq which has cost countless lives and has emptied the American treasury; Calling the BBC “anti-American” is comical… I realize that Anderson’s anti-Bush comments recently were childish! But most Yanks with a bit of intellect will know that the BBC is no Fox “News”. And most Yanks with a bit of intellect realize that criticising criminal behaviour in the Cheney administration is not the same thing as criticising the US.

A bit of perspective may help: the British press does not aproach news stories with the same methods that American media outlets traditionally have: In British cases, the journalist is allowed to make a judgement call in the article or news piece. In America, the journalist has traditionally tried to present all sides of an issue in a news piece without making a judgement call. “Just the facts”. Opinion pieces of course are a different beast…or misinformation planted by the Neo-Jacobin filth in the executive branch… :laughing:

http://www.alternet.org/story/32378

It goes without saying that bias exists in some journals…say “The Weekly Standard” where the freaks live on Kristol Myth. :loco:

So: there is a fundamental difference in the way news is presented.

BTW:Slugger O’Toole’s blog site is very good… a decent collection of authors so it seems…

serious fun -
gee…thanks for pointing out the obvious to us crtically impaired who deign to share your world.

And as far as that “Imperial style invasion” crap goes…if the USA was indeed “Imperialistic” in our world plan of conquest we’d invade your little shit-box of a country and improve your dental services.
Plus make you drive on the correct side of the road.
[i]And[/i] correct your weird spelling, introduce you all to the joys of pick-up trucks, George Jones, fried chicken, buttermilk biscuits (real biscuits not them damn stale crackers of yours) with flour gravy.
So git off your imperious high-horse.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]serious fun -
gee…thanks for pointing out the obvious to us crtically impaired who deign to share your world.

And as far as that “Imperial style invasion” crap goes…if the USA was indeed “Imperialistic” in our world plan of conquest we’d invade your little shit-box of a country and improve your dental services.
[i]And[/i] correct your weird spelling, introduce you all to the joys of pick-up trucks, George Jones, fried chicken, buttermilk biscuits (real biscuits not them damn stale crackers of yours) with flour gravy.
So git off your imperious high-horse.[/quote]

Invade our country? We’re fecking Irish! Without us you wouldn’t have a country, pickup trucks, country music, flapjacks, apple pie, marshmallows, and that wonderful mixture of rabid teetotalitarianism and rampant drunkenness. I hardly think we deserve to be invaded. Again. Anyway, you can’t invade us. We invaded you first.

[quote=“Lord Lucan”][quote=“TainanCowboy”]serious fun -

So git off your imperious high-horse.[/quote]Invade our country? We’re fecking Irish! Without us you wouldn’t have a country, pickup trucks, country music, flapjacks, apple pie, marshmallows, and that wonderful mixture of rabid teetotalitarianism and rampant drunkenness. I hardly think we deserve to be invaded. Again. Anyway, you can’t invade us. We invaded you first.[/quote]Well yeah…you’re quite right on those points…basis of civilization and all that…OK…we’ll just buy you out and you can all be props for all inclusive vacation plans…walk around in sweaters and smoke pipes…say ‘Irishy things’ to the tourists…but damn well keep downstairs with you…and do be careful when you’re “mucking about”…whatever the hell that is…and wear those rubber boots…goes with the image thing…

“The Cheney administration.” I like that. Takes an outsider to see the situation clearly.

I’ve been calling it the “Bush administration” since the day it was spawned but it’s really the Cheney administration.

Can I have your permission to borrow that designation freely in the future?

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]serious fun -
[/quote]

Actually, after rereading my post, it does seem to be a bit patronizing… I suppose I was uptight regarding (what I perceive to be) attacks on journalists…of course the BBC went overboard with the coverage of the scientist who killed himself…can’t remember his name.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]
Plus make you drive on the correct side of the road.[/quote]

That reminds me of a science teacher I had years ago! :slight_smile: Mr. McCann, at Colaiste An Sporiad Naimh in Cork! He told us that the reason that the US has so many tornadoes was because they drive on the right-hand side of the road! :laughing: I howled with laughter at his comment…and was hit by the teacher for that bit of rebellion. aaaah yes…the motivating cane.

But, you see: I have a history of standing up for the American people in the face of ignorance! :sunglasses: