Slugs in my cauliflower

Occasionally I find little green worms in my organic cauliflower but this time there were fat slugs in it. My first instinct is to wash them away and cook thoroughly. My second is yucky yuck. What says you? Shall I complain to the store?

Sounds like solid proof itā€™s organic!

1 Like

No, theyā€™re organic after all.

I would steam and try to enjoy the extra protein as much as possible. (Seriously, though, this is how cauliflower was in the days before modern bug stuff, and people seem to have thrived anyway)

Guys but arenā€™t slugs like deadly? Full of bacteria that rot your brain?

Not enough safety in steam, gonna boil that until it becomes cream.

Keep in mind basic physics: boiling water will never exceed 100C, no matter how much heat is applied. The extra energy will be seen in the temperature of the steam, which can easily exceed 100C and go way, way beyond.

Bon appetit!

2 Likes

A quick look look shows that could possibly be an issue, but it could always be. Just because you donā€™t see a slug doesnā€™t mean thereā€™s never been a slug on it. They recommend washing your produce. Cooking it would help too I imagine!

1 Like

Yuck, I wouldnā€™t eat the slugs. But it proves it a real food so Iā€™d just wash it. Honestly, I might cut off the part with the slug on it. How many slugs??? Usually we find a caterpillar or a worm but not a herd of them. Made cauliflower ā€œpizzaā€ last night and now wondering if I inspected it closely enoughā€¦

Well, as said, one was fat and bigā€¦And walked away. I left in on the sink to get a picture in proper lighting. Alas, this morning it was gone. As long as it did not become cat or dog snack, all is fine.

Now with extra proteins

1 Like

I didnā€™t think slugs were that fast. It must be very good cauliflower. I guess thatā€™s better than finding a dead slug.

Damn things are fast. At least they are not poisonous like the ones back home.

nature

Seriously, you remind me of this sensationalist TV show in which they showed how some people were selling vegetables on the side of the road (without a business license)ā€¦ the ā€œjournalistā€ pointed out to the old man that ā€œbut those potatoes are laying over the ground!ā€ and the old man replied ā€œbutā€¦ where do you think they came from?ā€

Just FYI, there are some chemical products for washing the vegetables. And yes, it is normal to find bugs in the crops and in the nature. Even in the city. Nothing to worry about.

1 Like

I need that old man in my life!!!

Slugs can contain bacteria and parasites dangerous for humans. Avoid touching them and wash produce properly.

e.g.

1 Like

Find any slugs in that grave dig? :sweat_smile:

Iā€™ve read about that disease today and found this thread. I am well aware how old a thread is.

People complain when someone makes a new thread instead of using the search function. Can not please the whole crowd.

Gravedigging is replying to old topics when you have nothing substantial to add, or just to ā€œbumpā€ the topic back up to the top of the forum.

Replying to an old thread in not automatically grave digging.

3 Likes

That reminds me: recently I found a medium sized snail with a perfectly round shell. Very pretty specimen, golden color. Pity it was at the bottom of my wash. And still alive.

Disinfected the washing machine and did the whole laundry againā€¦with bleach. :nauseated_face:

1 Like

I need one of those. With all the critters in my home. Thatā€™s what I get for buying plants.