Small 125 recommendations?

Here’s one you guys might not have heard before.

I’m looking for a small 125.

I don’t have a scooter, and if I can help it things will stay that way: a mountain bike does me well around town and I’ve had too many accidents. When my girlfriend and I need to go somewhere, we use her 50, but it’s in rapid decline and should be replaced. The thing is, she needs to be able to use it on a daily basis, and she’s tiny even by Taiwanese standards… maybe 90 lbs/ 40 kg soaking wet, so anything too large is out of the question. To make things more difficult, I’m a good size, 6’ 1"/ 6’ 2", so we don’t want anything ridiculously small. Definitely no modified Dios or anything like that. Something straight from the dealer, no worries, reliable.

Any recommendations? Saw a 125 “bubu” this evening that looked to fill the bill… save for being pretty ugly. It was NT $40,000, which is alright.

thanks.

[quote=“Jaboney”]Here’s one you guys might not have heard before.
I’m looking for a small 125.[/quote]

Kymco makes a nice compact 125 scooter; but you don’t want a scooter? Scooters are very functional, with floorboards for groceries, and room under the seat. Nothing wrong with functional, dude. That word just means that reasonable needs are being met. Practical is a good thing.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Kymco makes a nice compact 125 scooter; but you don’t want a scooter? Scooters are very functional, with floorboards for groceries, and room under the seat. Nothing wrong with functional, dude. That word just means that reasonable needs are being met. Practical is a good thing.[/quote] Yeah, I know. They’re functional, and far too fun to drive. I went through three of them (two already on the edge of the scrap heap, and one modified Duke) during my first couple of years. The problem is me, not the bike. I get on them, and I ride like a bat out of hell. Mordeth’s stories are enough… you don’t me adding to them. And while scooters have been very forgiving when it comes to accidents, I don’t want to end my life passing through the windshield of an on-coming taxi. Maybe in a year, after I’ve re-adjusted to life in Taiwan. Until then, the mountain bike gives me at least some exercise.

Do have know the name of the Kymco compact?

Kymco 2005 125cc line-up
kymco.com.tw/tw/lineup/index_125.asp

The Sym R1 is pretty small, and it is quite zippy for a 100.
tw.f3.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auct … iew=search

If you are 6/1, why don’t you get something that fits you properly? You’d look silly with your legs sticking out of a little bike designed with females in mind. The Yamaha Breeze comes to mind. The cheapest I’ve seen, though, is the Suzuki 125. I’ve seen them advertised new for 39,800.

Because he will be sharing it with his girlfriend who is tiny. I’m 6 foot and I don’t mind riding on a 50cc…my roommate is 6’1 and he rides a 50cc in the city.

Mine’s a V-link; see the first few in the lineup that TC provided above. It’s small for a 125, but is significantly bigger and heavier than a 50, so if your GF is tiny and is used to a 50, she might find it cumbersome to park. Have you considered a 90 instead? A 90 will get you around town, and will even get both of you up Yangmingshan for the first 5 years of the bike’s life.

I recommend you try some of the bikes out; have your GF try moving and parking one, and riding it solo; then add yourself on back (or vice versa) and see if it’s big enough for your frame. My GF and I are both 5’5.5" and I have short legs, and I’m quite comfy on this or a smaller bike, so it should be ok for the avg TWN GF’s daily use.

I like my V-link for its larger under-seat storage than my old 50, and it certainly has all the power I or your GF would need. It also has better brakes than my old 50. It’s not too high (like some 150’s) so my tiny GF can still climb onto the back, behind me.

I’m 6’1’’ and ride a tiny 50cc. Can’t say I’m proud of it though! Got it for 3K off a friend when I got here, and haven’t got round to getting anything better since.

I thought riding in a knees-apart fashion was normal. You mean there is another way? :slight_smile: