Small electronic repair shop

I have a small controller for my laser that I bought from China. Looks like this

I can return it to the store I bought it from for repair or possibly have to buy a new one, but that will take probably 2 weeks or more depending on how shipping is with the virus.

Anyone have any recommendations of repair places in Taipei or Banqiao? I’m assuming some place in Guanghua Digital Plaza will be able to do it, but was wondering if anyone had a preference or anywhere else to go?

Not sure exactly what’s wrong with it either, as it just doesn’t turn on, and yes I already checked to make sure it was receiving power.

Have you contacted the Taobao seller about this? They’ll help you out, if not issue a partial refund.

Also have you tried visiting lightobject.com? The parts are identical. They have a forum where you can ask questions.

I didn’t buy from Taobao. I bought it directly from the company. I couldn’t figure out how to work Taobao and one of the shipping services said they won’t ship electronics. This was before you made your post about offering to buy things from Taobao, otherwise I would have contacted you for a quote first.

I think I might have broke it somehow when trying to wire in a solenoid for automatic air turn on and off. I contacted the company and they said I can return it to them and they will attempt to repair it, send me a new one if they can’t figure it out, or if they can’t fix it and it is my fault then I would have to buy a new one.

So, I figured I would see if there is a small electronics repair shop that might be able to fix it. I think it is just a capacitor or something simple that broke. I don’t know anything abut circuit board to attempt to fix it. All I know is the correct power is going to it, but it doesn’t power on now.

Someone actually mentioned this to me on the Facebook group I’m in. They said lightobject’s controller is better. I looked into it buying it, but the shipping is putting me off from ordering it.

Lightobject imports stuff from China and rebrands it. It is 100% the same thing.

I wanted to find a solenoid to turn air on and off for my laser too but I don’t know the right stuff to use. Plus I am still stuck with the moshi board. Do I need to replace the entire motion control package to do this? You know, new steppers, stepper driver, etc.? The moshi board didn’t have a driver. I don’t have a way to turn the air on or off, was hoping to find something on the laser power supply or the moshi board that would turn the air on the same time the laser is turned on.

But I have no idea what solenoid to use… and can’t figure out the Chinese for it.

You can buy electronics from Taobao but it must be sent by sea.

When you tried to turn the controller on did magic smoke come out? Or was there sizzle noise?

I broke a bunch of magnetic contactor in my milling machine because I tried to repair the selector switch and wired it wrong. I heard a sizzle and tripped the breaker.

I’m not sure how you would wire that up for a moshi board. From what I understand though with a Ruida the way you do it depends on the air source. A traditional air compressor you just use a use the solenoid to turn block the air path. With an aquarium air pump (or the ones you see at a night market filling balloons) it’s a little different. From what I read you can’t block the air from them and have to turn them on and off.

You might need to. I know there are kits online for going from k40 to Ruida. Probably costs around 8k-10k NTD.

For a Ruida at least, I know cloudray sells a kit that works for the aquarium air pump. With a regular air compressor you just need 2 solenoids like this (I bought mine on shopee, came from China though) and a flow restrictor. If you need the link for shopee I can send it to you later when I get home. There’s also a store on the hardware street in Taipei that might have solenoids, but the lady there was trying to charge me 800NTD for one. I think it’s like 150NTD on Shopee.

No I didn’t see any smoke or or hear anything when I flipped the switch. It just didn’t turn on, so I redid all of my wiring and moved my electronics to another case. I was checking power on the 24v power supply and accidentally touched the tip of the multimeter to the case of the power supply. That gave off some pretty sparks. Which, I guess could also be one of the causes to my controller failing.

I’m using shop air. I’m sick of aquarium air pumps. In fact I will try to sell it to someone who has an actual aquarium…

Thing is loud and vibrates like crazy and it made me uncomfortable. Also the air isn’t strong enough and when cutting wood I get a lot of charring no matter the power or speed setting on my laser. So I decided to use shop air. I just need a way to block the airflow until the laser is firing so that I don’t have to go and manually disconnect the air.

So why replace the stepper motor? Is the stock one not any good? I already have to spend 10,000 on the controller itself. The lightobject kit they used to sell had the entire motion control package replaced, including stepper motor. I remember that kit was around 600US.

I don’t think you have to replace the motors as long as they work decently and you can connect them to a new stepper driver like a DM542. If you can’t connect them then you would need new ones. I don’t even think you really need a kit. Just controller, stepper drivers, and a power supply. Although in the kits that I see, all of them have a new leaser head. I’m not quite sure why you would have to replace that, but you might.

Mine already has a 24v power supply so I don’t see why I need to do anything to that. I have no idea what stepper driver to use. I saw some on ruten for 200nt each.

I mean I’m pretty sure it has the same number of wires…

I think the biggest difference between stepper drivers might be quality and features. Dm542 has a feature to provide half or full current when the motor is no moving. (At least that’s what I think it does).

With your current 24v power supply just double check that it can supply all the amps. I think it’s recommended to have the controller and stepper drivers on different power supplies, but I know a lot of people who didn’t do that.

I wish I have lots of money to play with. I’m forced to work with substandard equipment because I can’t afford stuff.