Small plastic parts often found on beaches - what is this?

Another seller

1 Like

Thanks a lot for this crowdsourced awesome quick answer!

2 Likes

Indeed. Last Saturday I visited a fishing spot in the NE coast and I couldn’t help it and had to pick up a sack of plastic bottles and other crap. The wife of one of the fishermen around felt like she had to said something about it, something along the lines “yes I also clean sometimes but this garbage comes from somewhere else, the sea brings it”. It’s always OTHER people, never them. It’s always the sea, never the people around. Really interesting. I guess that all the lunchboxes, drink bottles, and packages of fishing stuff like bait and shit is from other people, they never bring and leave their shit there… despite that there was like a ton of this crap around them.

Fucking disgusting.

2 Likes

They are absolutely disgusting it’s true , I often visit harbours and it’s a common sight they they trash where they fish.

1 Like

from 2010 …I wonder if China is better now ?

One year survey came to same conclusion recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEN6Z4tFPg0

3 Likes

For anyone who doesn’t have five minutes to spend on it: the number one source of marine plastic pollution in Taiwan is discarded fishing gear.

This is where Taiwan has worse than a third world mentality. Cos they (the govt ) have lots of money and educated people but they don’t give a shit about cleaning the place up and dealing with the root of the problem .

And then locals just walk past the piles of trash and nobody will call out the coastal fishermen for dumping their crap everywhere.

Well, those fishermen can be difficult… especially in Kenting! :no_mouth:

(Apologies to bona fide fishers out there.)

4 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE3A5mDk-jU

2 Likes

they are for bacteria to grow on. They are used in sewage treatment plants and johkasou (onsite sewage treatment systems) alongside an aeration blower. The bacteria grow on these things which then feed on incoming waste water.

1 Like