Small town

If you want to visit, stay or live in the small town, what are the things or information you want to know? I ask the question because I and my group members want to do our senior project. We will set a website about Hu-Kou, a small town in Hsinchu country, in English version. Have you ever seen a well design guideline? So, could you tell me your thoughts or opinions about the small town? Thank you for your kindness.

My opinion is that you’re making it very difficult for yourselves by choosing a town that really has very little happening in it, according to the other posters.

Let me ask you a question: Why have you chosen Hukou as the subject of your study/website?

Your website will need to have content, so you should really choose a town that has some points of interest that you can feature on your website. Hukou does not seem to have any points of interest, so what will you put on your website?

Try Ying Ge. :sunglasses:

We hapn’n.

[quote=“sandman”]My opinion is that you’re making it very difficult for yourselves by choosing a town that really has very little happening in it, according to the other posters.

Let me ask you a question: Why have you chosen Hukou as the subject of your study/website?

Your website will need to have content, so you should really choose a town that has some points of interest that you can feature on your website. Hukou does not seem to have any points of interest, so what will you put on your website?[/quote]

In fact, I study in hu-kou. And the topic is recommended by our teacher. On the other hand, we can not find the website about hu-kou in English version. We study in English, so We hope we can set this kind of website for visitors, especially for not Chiness. We know Hu-kou is not famous place like tamsui, the town of Taipei. But hu-kou has already been thriving. Maybe we can do something for our project. Before we do it, we need some friends who are not Chiness give us recommendation. Thank you for your questions.

Right then.
Are there any museums in Hukou? What of agriculture do they do there? Is it a Hakka town? Are there any good Hakka restaurants there? Mr. He mentioned an “old street.” What kind of things do they sell there? How about annual festivals? It must be right in the middle of the Tung flower area. Are there any activities for the Tung flower season? What about the area around Hukou? Is it near the mountains? Are there any interesting temples? What kind of festivals do the temples organize?

I assume she is talking about the Hukou in Hsinchu County and not Yunlin. Here’s some pics of the old street. Looks good:

lomography.com/homesDeLuxe/w … &id=492598

If you are going to do a website then we need maps of the area, especially getting to the interesting spots from the train or bus station. If you are selling the history give us lots of details. Give us colorful or funny stories. Explain architectural features with good pictures. Explain the gods in the temples.

Pictures. Lots. And large ones. Most websites in taiwan have tiny pictures. I hate that.

Food: where can people eat, what kind of food, how is it made?

Local guides? Are there any that can speak English and give tours?

Make the website clean and simple. Do NOT have a flash animation open the site so that it takes a minute before I can move on. Do get a native English speaker to edit the site and to advise you on content. A

Do not get a Taiwanese person to write a description of the town. Ask a native speaker so that it sounds natural, and is written in a way that appeals to the things we like to see, not things Taiwanese like to see.

In essence, you want the site to help a foreigner enjoy your town. I would like to see everything on the site available in printable form. I want to be able to go visit the old street with my map and papers in hand and know exactly what I am looking at.

If there are restaurants to try, translate the menu (keep English and Chinese together on the page) so that we can print it out and bring it with us and point to what we want.

Places to stay: can the people speak English? If not, how can I book the room? Can we have a bilingual booking form? Let’s have big pictures of the rooms.

If I stay in a small town I want to know what activities I can do. Make tea, or some craft, watch opera or a puppet show, hike, swim, eat?

More later.

[quote=“Muzha Man”]If you are going to do a website then we need maps of the area, especially getting to the interesting spots from the train or bus station. If you are selling the history give us lots of details. Give us colorful or funny stories. Explain architectural features with good pictures. Explain the gods in the temples.

Pictures. Lots. And large ones. Most websites in Taiwan have tiny pictures. I hate that.

Food: where can people eat, what kind of food, how is it made?

Local guides? Are there any that can speak English and give tours?

Make the website clean and simple. Do NOT have a flash animation open the site so that it takes a minute before I can move on. Do get a native English speaker to edit the site and to advise you on content. A

Do not get a Taiwanese person to write a description of the town. Ask a native speaker so that it sounds natural, and is written in a way that appeals to the things we like to see, not things Taiwanese like to see.

In essence, you want the site to help a foreigner enjoy your town. I would like to see everything on the site available in printable form. I want to be able to go visit the old street with my map and papers in hand and know exactly what I am looking at.

If there are restaurants to try, translate the menu (keep English and Chinese together on the page) so that we can print it out and bring it with us and point to what we want.

Places to stay: can the people speak English? If not, how can I book the room? Can we have a bilingual booking form? Let’s have big pictures of the rooms.

If I stay in a small town I want to know what activities I can do. Make tea, or some craft, watch opera or a puppet show, hike, swim, eat?

More later.[/quote]

These are all excellent suggestions. I know Muchaman has waded through dozens of websites in the name of duty.

Flash animations annoy me, but seem to be de rigueur.

Pictures that come up small but which you can click on to enlarge are nice.

Keeping the site updated is also crucial. Restaurants go bust, or at least change their menus. Phone numbers change. New attractions appear.

I am so glad that you give me a lot of recommandations. These are wonderful. Thank you very much. I will refer to these opinions in my projet. If you have another opinions, could you tell me? Thank you…

Don’t use a lot of pastel colors.
Keep it simple and fast loading.
Pets, childrens, peoples faces and people doing their work are always attention getters.