Smangus/ Taikang Accomodation

If you’re planning to do some hiking in the area around Smangus (

I would like to go to that place again. It is really an amazing, cool place, but not easy to access as you have to dirve a 4wd car.

Remove this. We can’t have too many people knowing about Villa Yun-Ting. It’ll be too hard for me to do last-minute bookings that way.

Yes it sounds interesting,

But is it crowded? I’ve done this too many times…This place or that place…only accessible by 4 wheel drive…Bang up some mountain road for hours (I don’t mind that part actually) expectations high and then? The damn place is overrrun!

Wouldn’t mind checking it out though. Sandman mentioned on another thread that he saw signs to Baling on the way up…So I would have to assume then that you go up from Neiwan or Chutung…is that correct?

Anyway, that whole area is amazing, so as long as the crowds are away, I’ll be taking the Bottimobile up to check it out in the next couple of weeks.

How did the area look for camping?

[quote=“Michael J Botti”]Yes it sounds interesting,

But is it crowded? I’ve done this too many times…This place or that place…only accessible by 4 wheel drive…Bang up some mountain road for hours (I don’t mind that part actually) expectations high and then? The damn place is overrrun!

Wouldn’t mind checking it out though. Sandman mentioned on another thread that he saw signs to Baling on the way up…So I would have to assume then that you go up from Neiwan or Chutung…is that correct?

Anyway, that whole area is amazing, so as long as the crowds are away, I’ll be taking the Bottimobile up to check it out in the next couple of weeks.

How did the area look for camping?[/quote]

The place is quite wild and not many people there. But if you go on weekends, you would see more people for sure. Still I think it can not be described as crowded. It will take at least 4 hours for return if you are good at climbing and your body is in a good condition. I took half days as I stop for so many amazing sights.
We went up from Neiwan and had a short stop there too. The area around Neiwan is more crowded, but not bad.
A friend asked me about the place today that made me very keen to go there again.

Takes about an hour from the road-end to Smangus up a pretty rough road. Timogan did it in his Mitsubishi Verruca, so its not really that bad (although the 'Ogan is HARDCORE when it comes to driving). I sure wouldn’t be happy taking my car up there. Once there, there’s a hike to the ancient trees at Smangus that takes about 90 min-2 hours. Not much else up there. The village is small and not that interesting, but the views are stupendous. We were there on double 10 and it was crawling with trippers. Be warned.
And yes, the route is via Neiwan.

Smangus is a little bit overrun on weekends. Views are good. The road there is horrible, but the hike is good. Are you looking for very tough hikes, then be warned. Maoman’s puppy was able to climb all the way up, so it’s hardly Daba Jianshan - I regretted that I did not bring my no 1 daughter. Chung claims that there are more strenious hikes in the area.

Don’t go, I hate crowded places.

Hmm…

Thought it over and…someday but only on the bike during the week.

To drive that far and deal with day trippers? No thanks.

Funny, hardly anybody uses the Neiwan-Baling route and now I know why…They all go to Smangus!

We’ll be camping somewhere along there this weekend…Have already found three new spots and didn’t see a soul…

Great weekend everyone!

I meant to post on this topic ages ago, but never got around to it. There are two good Taipei Times stories on the area. Click here and here.

The village of Smangus nestles amid lush foliage.

[b]According to Taiwan Forestry Bureau research, this is
the second-biggest Formosan cypress on the island. It
has a girth of 20.5m.

Photo: David Momphard, Taipei Times
[/b]

Here are some more photos of the Smangus area:
Photos of Cloudtop Villa (Villa Yunding): One, Two, Three and Four.

Forumosa’s Chung sitting outside an aboriginal church.

Maoman & Tree. In the tradition of great Canadian lumberjacks, I cut it down after I took this picture. :smiling_imp:

A nice stream/waterfall…

Forumosa’s Chung & Timogan drinking beer in the yard… A really nice view…

I plan to take my family to villa yunding come CNY 2004. Any other takers?

Photos from a trail in Jhengsibao - across the valley from Smangus.

That middle photo has been photoshopped by Chung – I DO NOT have a bald spot on the back of my head. Which of my two wives do you like the best?

That Chung made me look semi-bald and tired as well! Let’s sign a petition. Chung pics yes, photoshop no.

I think chung’s photoshop skills are excellent. He seems to have reduced the size of sandman’s bald area. Now, maoman, on the other hand, could stand for work on his photoshopping. His caption for the photo of chung and myself mentions beer. I certainly don’t see one in the picture (but I do remember a six-pack purchased in Nei wan).

The weather is getting better. Maybe it’s time to head up there again.

count me in.

And me.

Anyone fancy a bit of camping at Yuanyang Lake? Starting from Smangus, it’s a two day return hike over the old historical Atayal cross- island trail. The area around the lake is one of the last remaining enclaves of original rainforest. Oh, and a link to the new national trail website: http://trail.forest.gov.tw/Trail_Webpage_eng/Alpine.htm

Maybe, depending on my schedule.

I like hiking, can I bring the big one?

I’d be up for that a little later in the year, once I’ve got a little bit fitter. My only reservation is the camping part. How much space is there? Me and Timogan had a Chilai climb ruined because the limited camping area had been defiled by a bunch of Taiwanese staying in the huts and defecating on the tent area because they were to fucking lazy to go a few yards into the bushes. I have a suspicion that the situation will be similar at Yuanyang lake.