Smangus/ Taikang Accomodation

[quote=“Michael J Botti”]there is a primitave looking sign hanging over the road with a spooky looking dirt-track going off to the left and down…The track looks horrible and it is, but it is the ONLY way into Smagus…From here, it’s about an hour by dirt-track semi-paved, loose rock, steep switchbacked and generally shitty road to Smagus itself.

Caution, the dirt-track into Smagus is narrow and dangerous…I would say don’t take a scooter or passenger car down here…You’ll need some ground clearance, good brakes and enough power to negotiate the steep switchbacks…BE CAREFUL![/quote]
Nice detailed directions Michael, thanks. I hope to go up there sometime.

This dirt road thing though… how was it on your bike? You were on the RZX, right? Although that’s a light bike it has road-going tyres - surely it’s very tricky if it’s a true dirt road? In Thailand my brother let me use the Honda Baja dirt dike and he took the CB400 as we went up the dirt road to the Mae Surin waterfall;
mcttw.tripod.com/dirt_road.jpg
I had a great time but it was very slow going for Robin and although he’s an experienced road rider, he nearly dropped the bike a couple of times.

In answer to your question.

The RZX is very upright and can be thrown around like a dirt bike (within limits of course). I also am pretty good on dirt as it’s the origins of my motorcycling roots. The RZR is the sportier street version of this bike…I have both models. The RZX is very light and a good all-around performer, despite leaning more towards street use in it’s original design.

The best part for me was blowing by all the big sport bikes that had buzzed me on purpose earlier on in the paved sections…

Any bike set up to weight the front end (sport bikes) will have lots of trouble on this road. Actually, a good old Sanyang will serve better than most with it’s decent ground clearance, light weight and low gearing. For any of you lucky enough to have a still functioning DT, you’ll tear this place up! I paired up with a Taiwanese guy riding an old Honda 250cc 4-stroke enduro for the dirt section. We paired together pretty well, and were able to outpace everything we saw, including a couple of 150cc Hartfords. Fun, fun, fun !!!

Joesax, you HAVE to do this one!

PS: Bring a mask…Any car going the other way will have you choking for a mile!