Smellys vehicle dilemma

So my Skoda Yeti is 50/50 right now… why?.

Well it takes 2 months+ for the factory to get the car built,shipped and through Taiwan’s ‘amazing’ customs, i cannot wait longer than October as its driving me and the wife insane, since its already mid/end august and i just heard that the factory was flooded 2 weeks ago causing further delays (in the uk some customers build dates went from 1 month to 6 months!)… its not looking hopeful :frowning:

In the mean time i have been given permission to buy myself a large bike, right now its looking like a hayabusa (I’m fat and white so i guess i fit the stereotype perfectly) but that doesnt solve the problem of getting my 2 kids and bicycles around.
If i do this that means my 880,000nt for the Yeti isnt 880,000 anymore :unamused:

So im thinking of going on a budget and doing something rather naughty.
I recently saw a mint Nissan super march with a clean SR20DET transplant, it was the single coolest thing i have ever seen!.
It was a bit extreme (100kmh-200kmh in under 9 seconds) but the age old ‘big engine small car’ bug bit me once again!.

So a mint March costs about 200k
a SR20DE-VVL engine is about 25,000nt or the SR20DET engine is about 40,000nt (but i think the turbo version is overkill so im thinking the former)
upgrade the suspension,brakes etc as needed.

See where im going with this?.

All i need is someone to swap it and find a 4AT slushbox to fit.
The idea is to build the ultimate Taiwan grocery getter :laughing:
I think its doable for 350k-ish

Oh i know alot of you are anti-tuners, to be fair this aint tuning, this is OEM swapping… or as i like to say, how they should of built it the first time around!
All i have to do is find a 4AT gearbox that fits

Thoughts? :ponder:

[quote=“smellybumlove”]Thoughts? :ponder:[/quote]You’re crazy.
The right kind of crazy. :laughing:

[quote=“Marty”][quote=“smellybumlove”]Thoughts? :ponder:[/quote]You’re crazy.
[/quote]Uncanny. :laughing: I wanted to post these exact words. :laughing:

I saw another Lexus LX400 the other day. Not bad condition. Good potential.

The March’s suspension is not as simple an upgrade as swapping dampers and springs. It has a non independent rear suspension with Panard beam. It has weak front bottom arms too and all will flop about all over the place uncontrollably with a more powerful engine and heavier set up.

It would need its chassis gutting and starting from scratch with a full on independent suspension, with all round stiffer mounts and arms. It could be done, yes. But it would need a lot of time and patience.

I have seen this done however to a few cars, and it makes a big difference. There were a group in Chungho who were building racing Marches from the ground up a while back when I lived there.

[quote=“sulavaca”]
The March’s suspension is not as simple an upgrade as swapping dampers and springs. It has a non independent rear suspension with Panard beam. It has weak front bottom arms too and all will flop about all over the place uncontrollably with a more powerful engine and heavier set up.
It would need its chassis gutting and starting from scratch with a full on independent suspension, with all round stiffer mounts and arms. It could be done, yes. But it would need a lot of time and patience.
I have seen this done however to a few cars, and it makes a big difference. There were a group in Zhonghe who were building racing Marches from the ground up a while back when I lived there.[/quote]

I was led the believe the SR20 is about the same weight as the CG engine.

Just been introduced to the more common QR25 engines, which reside in nearly everything from nissan at the moment, its 20% lighter than the SR engine and also way more torquey.
Combine that with easy sourcing for engines and gearboxs makes for a likely candidate.

Problem is if i go to the famed march engine swapper with a QR instead of a SR… he might self implode in confusion as thats how they are around here :noway:

I think you just like to cause yourself trouble smellybumlove. :wink:

No such setup ever quite goes according to plan. Not unless you have learned the multitudes of problems and experienced all the mistakes which go into building such a thing.

Wiring looms, computers, drive shafts, steering angles, suspension arms, mounts, roll bars, brakes, master cylinder, exhaust, bulk-head, radiators…blah, blah, blah…on and on and on…etc…

I’d rather restore a decent Subaru for the same budget, than go in the opposite direction with a March any day.

I must have looked at 20+ of these before giving up. Love this car, but never found one without dodgy issues.

Are you feeling quite yourself?

I’m not a doctor but I think perhaps a review of your medication is indicated.

I must have looked at 20+ of these before giving up. Love this car, but never found one without dodgy issues.[/quote]

I agree. Not too many have been properly looked after. Its the same for most older Lesus as the parts don’t get any cheaper the older they get. They can often end up as abused hand-me-downs by folks that want the badge, or the power, but can’t afford a new one and can’t really afford to look after them as they get older either.

Dude…a Hayabusa?..really…that’s the worst bike choice for Taiwan. Get a new Yamaha XJ6 or FZ1…You’ll be faster on a smaller bike than a highway top speed monster…there just isn’t anything sensible about getting a 'busa here…but hey…to each their own.

As far as cars…I don’t see how a March is a good family grocery getter…where are you going to put the groceries? Here’s my suggestion for a grocery getter…buy a Subaru Impreza RX 5…which is an impreza wagon (GC8) with all the trim from the Impreza GT5…except the RX has the pissy 1.8 NA engine and 4EAT tranny…swap in a turbo powertrain and MT…say, an EJ207 with STi Spec C heads and a 5spd MT. Sort the brakes, wheels and suspension out with later model Subaru parts (for the OEM look) and you’d have the power, the space and the handling to boot. You’d have to refrain from going gangsta on the exterior by not succumbing to retarded ground effect body kits and agressive wings…

You could do the same with a used Impreza LS wagon…you’d get even more stealth out of that…or even more extreme you could do this to an Impreza Casablanca Edition :smiley:

Here’s a basic run down of prices…

• Second-hand Impreza RX5 90K~110K…Used Impreza LS wagon 60K~120K…Used Casablanca: not many on used lots but I’d say around the same as an RX5
  • EJ207 Spec C swap + turbo + intercooler…90k
  • 5spd MT…45k
  • suspension…20k
  • brakes…15k
  • wheels…10k
  • tires…15k

at most…around 300k

if you bargain on the car purchase price…you could be below the 300k mark.

This would leave you with 500k to buy whatever bike you want…a good used Hayabusa (if you’re adamant about getting one) sells in the 300~320k range…heck, you’d probably end up with extra cash in your pockets after all of this…would make the missus happy.

Well the hayabusa and silly car are both out the window…

Skoda called me today and said the car has been built and awaiting shipment for the end of this month :smiley:
Which means i have to give a substantial deposit soon which throws the hayabusa out the window.

I agree that the 'busa is overkill but its the most reasonably priced used red plate… dont ask me why, maybe the little guys have trouble handling them :laughing:
Check this minter out, thats the actual price BTW:
tw.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction … oolbank168

So now im trying to size up a turbo to fit the little 1.2tsi im getting.
Instead of going for a remap, i will just jump straight to stage 3 and aftermarket turbo, problem is the turbo is built into the manifold… :ponder:
Thats a different thread altogether though. :popcorn:

Are you feeling quite yourself?

I’m not a doctor but I think perhaps a review of your medication is indicated.[/quote]

Just a glitch. Back to abnormal(ly aspirated) again.

The SR20VE (VVL) motor is great and cheap. I built a buddy’s B13 SE-R with one of these before. It did high 12s after tuning with just good intake header exhaust and some weight reduction. That was such a cheap project. I think all told it was maybe less than $10,000US including the car, motor from Japan, a decent AD (Ground Control)-based race suspension, wheels and race tires for something that was a blast to kick around the track and on the street.

The thing that is the major PITA with the VVL motor is the wiring. What we did was simply use most of the SR20DE wiring, and computer, made it programmable, then made an external switcher for the VVL. It’s dual variable cam (separate intake and exhaust), so you will need two RPM-variable switches that can drive a solenoid. I had a bag-of-tricks circuit and proggy I liked to use for shift lights and such already made out of a PIC and some discretes, so we used that.

Once you have that setup, you will need actual dyno time unless you have a really good data-logger. It took us about 10 pulls over an entire morning to get it done starting with just the basemap for fuel from the SR20 and no switching points. Finding rough switching points took 4 pulls, then fuel then timing then redoing the switching points. The thing made somewhere around 175 to the ground after that. You can get more if you Frankenstein the motor with a SR16VE head, because the ability to rev is capped on the SR20VE motor by the head. And as we know, the key to small-displacement NA power is to rev the snot out of it.

In many ways the SR20DE-T turbo motor is much easier. Also helped build one of these into B14 SE-R. All you need to make it run and run well is make the ECU programmable, put in the right injectors, put in a good electronic boost controller, and a wideband, and you can tune it on a deserted highway, even. These motors can take a beating and are cheap as shit. So it’s natural that people just crank them up with bigger parts externally (turbo, intercooler, injectors, exhaust, etc) until they blow up, since replacing is fast and cheap.

Now, if your really want to go nuts, you could run a variable valve timing SR20VE-T. :slight_smile:

OP has given up the SR20** March idea and is buying a Yeti. At least that is the plan this week.

I just thought this is one of those threads where I can show off with that trick that used car dealer pimp with the Rolex watch once told me. Put fresh coffee beans or the powder (out of real coffee beans) in a cup and keep in the car.

But OK, so I keep that to myself…

[quote=“redwagon”]At least that is the plan this week.[/quote] :roflmao:

Thinking about it, though (albeit reluctantly) the Mutant March Plan was relatively rational.

As stated, IF I understand it correctly, the Alas Poor Yeti Plan involves buying a NEW car, which doesn’t come with a TURBO, and which the OP test drove and liked, without a TURBO, and then immediately buggering it about fitting a TURBO to it?

Nah! Either I misunderstood or its a (deliberate this time) joke.

Surely?

The yeti has a turbo from the factory.
its a 1.2tsi, makes about 120bhp (they say 105 but its a lie) lots of torque, car weighs just under 1200kgs and has a double clutch 7 speed gearbox with VERY short ratios.
Anyway it was looking as if my order was going to be delayed for too long (past October) for me to bear.

So the idea was to make a little econo-rocket, which if you ask me makes sense.

Anyway the Yeti is coming (or so they say) before mid October so i am patiently twiddling my thumbs

[quote=“smellybumlove”]
Instead of going for a remap, i will just jump straight to stage 3 and aftermarket turbo, problem is the turbo is built into the manifold… :ponder:
Thats a different thread altogether though. :popcorn:[/quote]

So this means that, under the Alas Poor Yeti Plan you are in fact buying a NEW car, which comes with a built-in turbo (presumably optimised for low-end torque, as befits a small-engined real world driver), which you drove and liked with its built-in turbo, and you are considering immediately buggering it about by fitting an aftermarket turbo, presumably to increase top end power?

Apologies. I misunderstood. I thought you were proposing doing something slightly silly. :whistle:

[quote=“Ducked”][quote=“smellybumlove”]
Thats a different thread altogether though. :popcorn:[/quote]

So this means that, under the Alas Poor Yeti Plan you are in fact buying a NEW car, which comes with a built-in turbo (presumably optimised for low-end torque, as befits a small-engined real world driver), which you drove and liked with its built-in turbo, and you are considering immediately buggering it about by fitting an aftermarket turbo, presumably to increase top end power?

Apologies. I misunderstood. I thought you were proposing doing something slightly silly. :whistle:[/quote]

Well you are on the right track…

I am buying a new car with a factory fitted turbo which is designed for low end torque and fuel economy, i will then proceed to bugger it up by installing a slightly larger turbo to boost more high end power without sacrificing much low down.
The car has 7 gears with crazy short ratios, so a little bit of lag isnt a problem as it has plenty of ratios to choose from :laughing:

Anyway that will be a while yet, i’ll be pretty broke come october what with 2 holidays, 1 new car, my wifes birthday and xmas following closely after… :noway: