Smellys vehicle dilemma

[quote=“smellybumlove”][quote=“Ducked”][quote=“smellybumlove”]
So now im trying to size up a turbo to fit the little 1.2tsi im getting.
Instead of going for a remap, i will just jump straight to stage 3 and aftermarket turbo, problem is the turbo is built into the manifold… :ponder:
Thats a different thread altogether though. :popcorn:[/quote]

So this means that, under the Alas Poor Yeti Plan you are in fact buying a NEW car, which comes with a built-in turbo (presumably optimised for low-end torque, as befits a small-engined real world driver), which you drove and liked with its built-in turbo, and you are considering immediately buggering it about by fitting an aftermarket turbo, presumably to increase top end power?

Apologies. I misunderstood. I thought you were proposing doing something slightly silly. :whistle:[/quote]

Well you are on the right track…

I am buying a new car with a factory fitted turbo which is designed for low end torque and fuel economy, i will then proceed to bugger it up by installing a slightly larger turbo to boost more high end power without sacrificing much low down.
The car has 7 gears with crazy short ratios, so a little bit of lag isnt a problem as it has plenty of ratios to choose from :laughing:

Anyway that will be a while yet, I’ll be pretty broke come october what with 2 holidays, 1 new car, my wifes birthday and xmas following closely after… :noway:[/quote]

but a turbo likes long gears where you can build load, no?

Well its a family car not a drag car!.
VW built it this way so…

[quote=“smellybumlove”]Well its a family car not a drag car!.
VW built it this way so…[/quote]
… maybe you should leave it this way?

[quote=“redwagon”][quote=“smellybumlove”]Well its a family car not a drag car!.
VW built it this way so…[/quote]
… maybe you should leave it this way?[/quote]

Its a turbo car, no different than your scooby, the engine is designed for high boost and the box can take well over 250ft-lbs of torque all day everyday.
Im not going extreme, just thinking of giving it a little bit more than it has to make it more fun.
The 1.4tsi’s go all the way from 140bhp-200bhp depending on the map and can hit 250bhp with a hybrid turbo.
So im aiming for 150-180bhp, not exactly hard from a turbo car.

Heck if a new map comes out it might even be possible with the stock turbo and a free flowing pipe.
The car has a 4 year warranty, if something went wrong i wouldn’t care to be honest as its covered (obviously ill swap the OEM parts back).

Smelly and me are long lost brothers.

[quote=“smellybumlove”]
Its a turbo car, no different than your scooby, [/quote]

I know I’ve been biting my tongue for a while now, but “woooa boy” with the Subaru comparison. Thats like comparing a leather bound blender, purchased from Argos to having Gordon Ramsay in your kitchen cupboard.

[quote=“sulavaca”][quote=“smellybumlove”]

I know I’ve been biting my tongue for a while now, but “woooa boy” with the Subaru comparison. Thats like comparing a leather bound blender, purchased from Argos to having Gordon Ramsay in your kitchen cupboard.[/quote]

I can see how that can be taken out of context…

I meant in that its an engine thats built to be boosted like the subarus.
Obviously the yeti isnt a rally car nor is it japanese, but they do have 4wd on the higher models.

[quote=“smellybumlove”][quote=“sulavaca”][quote=“smellybumlove”]

I know I’ve been biting my tongue for a while now, but “woooa boy” with the Subaru comparison. Thats like comparing a leather bound blender, purchased from Argos to having Gordon Ramsay in your kitchen cupboard.[/quote]

I can see how that can be taken out of context…

I meant in that its an engine thats built to be boosted like the subarus.
Obviously the yeti isnt a rally car nor is it japanese, but they do have 4wd on the higher models.[/quote]

And shopping trolley has four wheels and is made of metal and can carry up to three people in it, but it still isn’t a Subaru.

You did have to strike the Subaru nerve didn’t you?! You’re the kind of person who would walk into church with a box of burning bibles.

Please don’t compare Subarus with Skoda Yettis. Yes, they are both cars, but one was built by engineers and another by a marketing department.
I’m not altogether against a Yeti, but it is what it is and it isn’t anything like a Subaru. :wink:

That VW DSG box is an amazing piece of engineering, it’s light years ahead of anything that Subaru has to offer. And come to think of it, a shopping trolley is better looking than the latest STI design.

DSG is an AT so it doesn’t qualify for an argument. In most markets, Subaru cars are mostly sold with MTs alongside AT as an option. Subaru’s 6spd MT with DCCD is an excellent tranny by all respects. Just how much does the cheapest Audi with DSG and Quattro cost in Taiwan?..Don’t bother posting that because you know what I’m getting at. Does VW even sell any AWD cars in Taiwan?

[quote=“sulavaca”]

Please don’t compare Subarus with Skoda Yettis. Yes, they are both cars, but one was built by engineers and another by a marketing department.[/quote]But you compared Audis and Skodas. :hand: :no-no: I agree with your above analogy. Audis are also built by engineers. :hand:

Might want to do a quick Google there to see who builds Skodas as of 1991.

[quote=“RobinTaiwan”][quote=“sulavaca”]

Please don’t compare Subarus with Skoda Yettis. Yes, they are both cars, but one was built by engineers and another by a marketing department.[/quote]But you compared Audis and Skodas. :hand: :no-no: I agree with your above analogy. Audis are also built by engineers. :hand:[/quote]

Yes, they do a remarkable job of grafting badges and LEDs onto VWs. :wink:

VWs aside, yes of course Audi do engineer a few products. They just don’t do them to anyway near the degree of Fuji. I haven’t paid much thought to this fact before, but unless anyone can prove me wrong, I’m betting that Fuji possibly produce more components for their own cars than any other popular mass production manufacturer anywhere that I at least am aware of. Anyone care to think of another contender?

I’m pretty sure that Daewoo borrow engines and suspension from their washing machines.

Yeti looks nice and if it doesnt fall apart, it would be a good car for TAiwan, especially the 4x4. Kinda looks like a CRV, which wont hurt sales in Taiwan as the CRV is popular.

The CRVs looks don’t have as much to do with its popularity as its reliability, size and low cost running, which both add to its minimal depreciation.

The CRVs looks don’t have as much to do with its popularity as its reliability, size and low cost running, which both add to its minimal depreciation.[/quote]

thats what i meant ! :slight_smile:

Is the Yeti like a Mk1 Fiat Panda 4X4 for the 21st century?

I’d quite like one of those, but of course there aren’t any here, and they’ll be getting rare/pricy back in the UK. The MkII is supposed to be OK but lacks the “utility” design, plus I think the ground clearance is lower.

[quote=“Ducked”]Is the Yeti like a Mk1 Fiat Panda 4X4 for the 21st century?

I’d quite like one of those, but of course there aren’t any here, and they’ll be getting rare/pricy back in the UK. The MkII is supposed to be OK but lacks the “utility” design, plus I think the ground clearance is lower.[/quote]

The Panda 4x4 was a great car in the U.K. and in many other parts of the world as it offered low cost purchase, low cost running and of course basic 4x4 capability which was good for slightly muddy tracks and slippery snow and ice. Again Taiwan doesn’t generally require such a vehicle and the low cost running doesn’t generally translate to this environment.

I think some people like the idea of four wheel drive far more than they actually require it. In addition, there is a distinct difference between having a four wheel drive sticker on ones car and having offroad or high performance capability. For the most part, the majority of four wheel drives in Taiwan generally offer disadvantages as few 4x4s are ever needed, designed or used appropriately.

[quote=“sulavaca”][quote=“Ducked”]Is the Yeti like a Mk1 Fiat Panda 4X4 for the 21st century?

I’d quite like one of those, but of course there aren’t any here, and they’ll be getting rare/pricy back in the UK. The MkII is supposed to be OK but lacks the “utility” design, plus I think the ground clearance is lower.[/quote]

The Panda 4x4 was a great car in the U.K. and in many other parts of the world as it offered low cost purchase, low cost running and of course basic 4x4 capability which was good for slightly muddy tracks and slippery snow and ice. Again Taiwan doesn’t generally require such a vehicle and the low cost running doesn’t generally translate to this environment.

I think some people like the idea of four wheel drive far more than they actually require it. In addition, there is a distinct difference between having a four wheel drive sticker on ones car and having offroad or high performance capability. For the most part, the majority of four wheel drives in Taiwan generally offer disadvantages as few 4x4s are ever needed, designed or used appropriately.[/quote]

Yeh, I suppose thats what I liked about the Panda, limited capability at limited cost. Still probably self-deception re need, but not quite so ridiculous. I could’nt justify a fullsize 4X4 unless I was regularly towing a boat, in the SAS (when it’d be a company car anyway) or similar.

As you say, here there’s no snow or ice, but the capability might be useful if one regularly ventured on rough/loose tracks to the beach or in the mountains, which I’d like to do, but don’t.

I’ve seen youtube vids of the old Panda crossing some apparently quite rough terrain.