Smoky hallway

[quote=“Homey”]I douse it the second I get home. This worked fine in my last apartment building. The neighbors got the message after a few times and I never saw them burning in the hall again. Wish these new neighbors were as smart. I might have to be a little more belligerent about it and start using a bucket. Maybe if all their shoes were getting soaked every time they shared all the nasty carcinogenic smoke they would think twice before lighting another one.

On the other hand, a part of me almost bought them an electric mosquito zapper.A little peace offering hoping to shame them into doing the right thing. It might be an effective, long term solution to the problem. I’m not a big fan of having enemies next door and this just might work.

Then I go back to rational thinking and don’t give a hoot. They are clearly rude arrogant pricks that are in the wrong, why should I have to buy them a damn zapper. They might just continue the burning even if I were to do so. The kind of people who only care about themselves, aren’t likely to suddenly change.

I go back and forth between the two extremes…

I like your theory yyy, it sounds spot on. Asshole logic.[/quote]

Actually, I second the thought of buying the electric zapper or maybe one of those plug ins -which is what I use at home. Both as a peace offering and also a neighborly gesture -you care about neighborhood issues.

Maybe someone can suggest a better option in the fight against mosquitoes? Please remember them nasty bugs are smart and take the elevator. And Taiwan has really serious problems with dengue.

Citronella is not advisable in places with pets. Very poisonous to them.

Most people here are unaware of the dangers of mosquito coils. Not because they are ignorant but because they think that if it is for sale and everyone uses it, how could it be dangerous?

If anyone has the information about the toxicity of coils in Chinese, maybe send it to Homey to print out and put in the community ad board -gongpulan?

Talking about danger, you could also donate a CO2 alarm to the building -and one for yourself if you haven’t got one at home yet. Saves you and the neighbors. Especially because damn gas climbs up, and if someone has a leak on the 3rd floor and you live on the 8th, you can still wake up to Heavenly Trumpets and Saint Peter’s welcome.

I thought we were talking about a heavy duty zapper with a UV light to attract them, the kind they hang in restaurants. The family probably already has the other kind. I mean, doesn’t everyone?[/quote]

Ah, that’s actually a good idea. Stick one out in the hallway. I got the impression he was going to knock on their door and give them a bug zapper bat. The main problem with the UV lamps, I’ve noticed, is that the cheaper ones just don’t work …

kungfufen: I use those mosquito coils myself, but apparently the OP doesn’t like them. And they are a bit stinky.

Still, if he thinks he has problems, where I live in the Philippines people won’t spend 5 pesos on a mosquito coil. Instead, they spend half an hour (15 pesos at current labour rates) heaping up a vast amount of greenery (worth another 15 pesos as biomass), and then they set fire to it. The only thing you can ever smell there is smoke.

I get that guy driving round once a week. I think he sells windows and suchlike.

[quote=“monkey”]
I think the OP is referring to mosquito coils. Who knows what nasties that mainland Chinese factory used during the manufacturing process?

They could contain literally anything - respiratory irritants, allergens, carcinogens, even heavy metals.

And all the smoke ends up in some poor sucker’s apartment - probably the guy on the windward side who left a window cracked for ventilation.[/quote]

We burn coils in my apartment complex, otherwise you’re literally swarmed with mosquitos because we have the audacity to have windows. In Ausland we use coils or citronella, such as in candles. I appreciate the fear of respiratory damage from their usage, but I personally would rather the smoke to the mosquitos.

Maybe OP can invest in some of those instead of being a trouble-making vandal. Or do the really neighbourly thing and get a bugzapper, like you said.

My apartment has these weird mesh things inside the window frames which allow me to open the windows for airflow yet keep insects from coming in. I think they call them “screens”.

My apartment has these weird mesh things inside the window frames which allow me to open the windows for airflow yet keep insects from coming in. I think they call them “screens”.[/quote]
:bravo:

My apartment has these weird mesh things inside the window frames which allow me to open the windows for airflow yet keep insects from coming in. I think they call them “screens”.[/quote]

Stand in front of a screen at night with the light on. Watch as insects worm their way through the gaps in the netting. They do it in Ausland, too. And god forbid a Taiwanese builder installed your windows, because there’s going to be gaps between the components or unsealed crevices that the insects can use for entry.

Stand in front of a screen at night with the light on. Watch as insects worm their way through the gaps in the netting. They do it in Ausland, too. And god forbid a Taiwanese builder installed your windows, because there’s going to be gaps between the components or unsealed crevices that the insects can use for entry.[/quote]

The Taiwanese builder had smelled already so much of this ghost, money, incense and mosquito poison that he should be retarded to a certain degree.
The same could be said about the person watching the mosquitos make their way in through the gaps and refuses to do something about it.
Yeah! It’s all that poison why you can’t see what’s wrong with your arguments.

And when I half way recovered from all that Buddha fire I was exposed to today, I’ll come back and check my grammar.

Sorry but I am really sick and pissed right now, and coincidently landed on this post.

[quote=“kungfuken”]
Stand in front of a screen at night with the light on. Watch as insects worm their way through the gaps in the netting. They do it in Ausland, too. And god forbid a Taiwanese builder installed your windows, because there’s going to be gaps between the components or unsealed crevices that the insects can use for entry.[/quote]

Jeez, do you live in The Ten Commandments or something??? :astonished:

[quote=“Rocket”][quote=“kungfuken”]

Jeez, do you live in The Ten Commandments or something??? :astonished:[/quote]

All I’m saying is that mosquitos can and will get in, so unlike what a certain smartass implied you probably have to take greater measures than “get a flyscreen”.

Didn’t mean to hurt your feelings. Release the kungfu(ken) grip on that anger! :bow:

i’ve got fly screens on every window, all plug holes covered and still a roach infiltrated my apartment yesterday. are they walking through walls or what? i’ve even covered the hobbs now too.

In my apartment the mosquito can get in through the sliding door tracks, whoever built this apartment doesn’t know what they are doing. So i bought a little tent looking thing to put over my bed, and most of the time its ok they dont usually come after me during the day time.