Snake on Campus

Hey,
about two weeks ago I nearly stepped on a snake while walking on a rather small path (in the middle of short-cut grass) on school campus (NTU). I saw it just when I was about to take the step and just managed to jump over it. The moment I saw it it already had that threatening pose, seeming quite ready to attack.

It was rather small and brownish.

What kind of snake might that have been? Should I even inform the school? After all, there are thousands of students walking around there from morning to night.

They probably know. This was the first picture I took when I came to my school campus (NCCU).

IMG 0316 by EddieG.se, on Flickr

Check out: http://www.snakesoftaiwan.com/Start_Page_EN.htm

[quote=“EddieG”]They probably know. This was the first picture I took when I came to my school campus (NCCU).

IMG 0316 by EddieG.se, on Flickr[/quote]

I was about to say so. :smiley:

OP, please go back and take a picture of the offending serpent so it can be determined if it is dangerous or not. Kids and dogs and students focused on next week’s finals and not where they are walking on are heavily at risk.

Well, finals are over now, and the snake surely won’t be sitting in the same spot for two weeks. But next time I’ll surely do this.

Well, finals are over now, and the snake surely won’t be sitting in the same spot for two weeks. But next time I’ll surely do this.[/quote]

Just kidding. Better not take its picture, it might give it time to get closer to you for a bite!
However, if you can remember and give a description/have a look at Antarticbeach’s link and recognize it, it would be better to know if it is a little, normal dweller or a big deal.
Actually, I am surprised there are snakes, as they cleared a lot of fields for the new fancy developments and ponds. They now have lots of geese and ducks and egrets and turtles and fish and stuff.

Well I wouldn’t try and take a close-up :stuck_out_tongue: but it was just… brownish. I didn’t recognize an obvious pattern. I’ve been looking through the pictures, but there are many different kinds that might or might not have been it. It was small, but not as tiny as many of the small brown ones there (those that wind around fingers on the pictures).

Also I can imagine loads of snakes in NCCU since it’s on the mountain, but NTU? In the middle of the city…