Snakes in Taiwan

Hi, im coming to Taiwan on holiday from New Zealand in February. I will be spending most of my time in the cities (mainly kaohsiung and taipei) however I have a general phobia of snakes, luckily we don’t have them here in New Zealand. Is it dangerous for snakes there and is it likely i will see any over there?

Are there snakes in Taiwan? Yes.
Are you likely to see one in the city? No.
Are you likely to see one if you go hiking? Yes, but it’s rare, at least in my experience.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

ok great, thanks. Now my mind is at rest :slight_smile:

But be sure to shake out your boots before you put them on, and check inside your pillowcase before going to sleep. Also, they sometimes drop down from the ceiling.

In big cities, you won’t see any snakes. but there are snakes. if you like to hike, or live near by farm lands or grassy areas, then there could be snakes. i’ve seen snakes, but in general they are way more scared of us, and tends to run away, even fall off a cliff if they had to, to avoid us.

I’ve seen a lot of already dead ones. I’ve seen most of the others slithering away from me, the few that haven’t moved away or the one that came towards me aren’t with us on the planet anymore. I mess around in the woods more than average folks. Don’t worry, the place ain’t dripping with snakes. We’ve seem to have more Canadians than snakes.

LOL… touché

I’m surprised they have no snakes in New Zealand, when Australia has 7 of the 10 deadliest animals in the world (like most venomous snake in the world, etc.)

You need to accept geological time and evolution for that little snippet to make sense.

St Patrick was from new zealand, a little island off the coast of Wales. He got around a lot.

See the “Snakes - 2012” thread. Some good information there. Here is a sample from the thread authored by Onionsack (clearly someone who knows a thing or two about snakes).

Most venomous snakes in Taiwan are nocturnal, and bites occur when someone inadvertently steps on one at night (hence the “snake attacks” you read about in the papers are actually defensive strikes by snakes after they’ve been attacked by a human). But I should emphasize the fact that encounters with snakes are very rare, and bites far rarer still. It’s not like these things are falling out of the trees like leaves, or you’re in danger of tripping over one with every third step you take down a mountain path. We spend a LOT of time at night intentionally trying to find these snakes and they’re damned hard to find. They don’t WANT to be found, and they’re extremely good at avoiding discovery. You should feel extremely lucky if you ever come across one, and appreciate what beautiful and extraordinary highly-evolved animals they are, as well as their crucial role in the ecosystem. If you see one, just stand still or back away slowly and enjoy the spectacle…you’re not part of its diet and no snake wants to waste its precious venom on something that isn’t a threat or isn’t edible. The snake will go on its merry way paying no concern whatsoever towards you. If you have the extremely unlikely misfortune to be bitten, it’s not that big a deal, provided you get to a hospital as quickly as you can. All hospitals carry antivenom for all the major venomous snakes in Taiwan, and as long as you get to one quickly, they’ll sort you out. You’re not going to die in 15 seconds. Or a hundred paces. Or even an hour. But you do need to get to a hospital as quickly as you can to prevent tissue damage (in the case of viper bites) or muscle paralysis (in the case of the elapids) and if you were able to identify what species it was that bit you, all the better. (Although do NOT try to kill the snake that bit you and bring it to the hospital…you’re only likely to incur further bites)…

yeah, I had a snake just outside my front door, wrapped around a tree, about a meter long. At first a couple of neighbors were suggesting it was poisonous, but after calling a friend who had a net and equipment to take it away, we were assured it was of the non poisonous variety.

I did try taking a few pics with this thread in mind, but very low quality and hard to make anything out. End result snake moved away from where we live. Apparently quite a few get sighted in my neighborhood.

As for them falling out of trees, while out with a walk with the wife, a bird dropped one about the same size meters from where we were walking, alas, the poor thing was already dead and had no head.

snakesoftaiwan.com/

In English and Chinese.

In Kaoh be careful when hiking monkey montain (in NSYSU) and the outskirts of the city… usually being noisy scares them off and sends them for hiding