Snakes!

I don’t know if you wanted to reply him or me, but in my experience and according to what I have read, cobras aren’t mean… not the ones here.

What is that? a green mamba?

Maybe. But the only snake I’ve ever had rear up at me was a cobra in Hsinchu.

Maybe. A cobra “attacked” us when we were riding a motorcycle in some beach suburbs (!) next to Hualien city. She kinda jumped on us! but I believe that this is not very normal…

We were walking and talking, so the snake knew we were coming. It was on the dry leaves, so we saw it and heard it move. The noise was quite noticeable. I took the pictures to show others how well it blends and what to be aware of. I don’t encourage people seeking them out for laughs and kicks.

boomslang aka tree snake

I thought it could be some sort of boiga bcause of the dewlap but it’s not very pronounced.

Today has been an awesome day. I’ve done some nice hiking, I’ve swum in a river, then I’ve gone to the beach where I’ve seen TWO sting rays, but above all I have had a nice encounter:

It was LARGE.

3 Likes

That rat is going the wrong way I’d say

1 Like

Is there an active herp group in tw?

If I see @onionsack I’ll ask him, or maybe he’ll see this message.

My idea of a “nice encounter” with a snake.

1 Like

That got a laugh out of me. You can change your name back now :smile:

I wasn’t asking for me though. If it isn’t my cute corn snake, then it’s a nope.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/587284938091074/

1 Like

Wow! All that time i have been/go to Taiwan i havent seen any snake sneaking around my hikings~ Beautiful animals. I hope to spot one day one. But as i havent any knowelge about snakes what so ever , i would like to have one in my hands without being bitten. :smiley: Nice photos~

This wasn’t in Taiwan, but I thought I’d share. I was raised with pet snakes so I don’t fear them at all. Well, I do fear venomous snakes, mostly because I don’t know enough to identify them. This story gives me pause. You’d think you would be safe from snakes while in a boat, but the damn thing fell from a tree!

http://www.wlox.com/story/38240484/kayaker-in-critical-condition-after-rattlesnake-falls-out-of-tree-and-bites-him-on-edisto-river

I wonder how his buddy captured the snake, IN A KAYAK!

If you hike by yourself you will see them. Hike in groups they skedaddle before you can see them.

Update:

Members of the group initially told authorities a rattlesnake dropped from the tree and plopped into the kayak with the 28-year-old man, Michael Adams.

The snake bit the man on the hand twice, Colleton County Fire Chief Barry McRoy told the Columbia (S.C.) State. But this story was met with skepticism by an expert on snakes. And on Tuesday a man claiming to be the victim’s cousin offered a different account of what happened.

Kyle Colquitt told ABC News 4 that his cousin was the victim, and that he had picked up the snake from the water.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/animalia/wp/2018/05/22/he-was-kayaking-in-a-paddlers-paradise-then-a-rattlesnake-fell-from-a-tree-into-his-boat/?utm_term=.6c24399c39e0

That makes sense. I mean, it doesn’t and it does at the same time.