Snakes!

Beautiful creatures, those bamboo vipers

1 Like

Well… these are like machines triggered by proximity sensors… will bite anything that gets too close.

1 Like

Actually my iPhone 6s+ and I was right up in his/her/thems face. No problem. They aren’t terribly dangerous. You won’t see me do that with a cobra or a krait, though.

No, me either.

1 Like

Cat Snake Rescue (大頭蛇)!

So, the same neighbor who had the Bamboo Viper earlier today, gives me a call at 16:00 and says that she’s got another snake in her yard! Shit you not! I asked what color it was and I was hoping for a cobra this time, but nope, she said that it was brown with spots. Snake hook in tow and off I went to rescue another beautiful specimen. The Cat Snake was wedged between her security bars on her sliding glass door and her irrigation water tank. Same iPhone 6s+ for these pictures and the video as well. If I had a good camera, I could take much better pictures. Lighting sucked bad. Sorry about that.

Special thanks to @mad_masala for proper identification.

Cat Snake - Courtesy of Snakes of Taiwan

3 Likes

Amazing how thin the neck is compared to the head

1 Like

Where do you release them when you find them? The one I saw was in a ditch, so I just left it be, but I’ve heard rustling before off to the side of a path I walk. Is there even an animal control for snakes, or is it all deal with it yourself?

Alright, that’s not a Habu. That’s a cat snake. I understand the mistake but you can really tell them apart by looking at body shape, pattern and head.

No offense, but reading you what you said about the viper and wrongly identifying a couple of snakes I would say that you are overconfident. If you like your fingers and hands, trust me, don’t trust them.

One of the things that tells you that that’s a cat snake. That and the eyes. These are very slender boigas!

Damn, I’m jealous… I haven’t seen a snake in months :frowning:

Nice. I was thrown off by the dark color. I thought that the Cat Snake was much lighter in color. However, the head, eyes and body tell the truth.

Thanks for the education. I’ll edit my post.

They vary in colour and I don’t know what the rule is. Another thing that is very boiga is the body section: it’s a bit kinda high and slim, making something like a triangle. These have venom but my understanding is that it’s a bit mild one and the fangs are in the back. I’m not sure about this but I kinda remember they’re a bit bitey.

And please also edit the video’s title, for keeping these things well documented and avoiding confusion.

:beers:

1 Like

No they won’t. I know because I’ve photographed them up close. If they sense you are too close they’ll run away. They’ll only attack if they have no where to run to.

1 Like

I live on a farm in the countryside. I take the snakes I catch and release them into the forest adjacent to my property.

In the past, we could call the local fire department and they would come and capture the snakes and take them away, hopefully to be released, but probably ended up in wine or soup. Now, the fire department doesn’t deal with snakes any more and a contractor does it. But, the nearest contractor is 30 minutes away and never arrives sooner than 2 hours, so it’s just easier to take care of it myself. Plus, I get to take some nice pics and enjoy the beauty of the snakes.

2 Likes

I treat every single snake that I encounter as if they were the most dangerous and venomous snakes in the world. It could be a Taiwan Beauty Snake and I won’t actually handle it. I just help save them from a certain death from my farmer neighbors who used to kill all snakes and also my dogs should the unlucky snake be found by them!

1 Like

It quickly becomes an unlucky dog if they encounter the wrong snake of course.

I’ve taken closeup pictures too. The fact is that you can’t trust them, plenty of people get bitten by them. Lots of videos of them biting on youtube.

Just an example:

1 Like

Can’t trust snakes, can’t trust women. Who can you trust?

Some snakes, and some women.

Avoid women with snake, if you can.

3 Likes

No one can resist a woman with a snake…

1 Like