Snakes!

I heard a bamboo (green?) viper killed somebody in Taidong recently. Rare but it happens.

Is that the beach behind Jinshan town, amazing beach that is often overlooked (second thoughts maybe it isn’t).

No, this is Baishawan beach area and LinShan Point.

Here’s the route I walked today. This is also a good route to look for snakes at night. In fact, I’ve seen three cobras during the day over the past 20+ years.

BTW, the Beach behind Jinshan is named,wait for it…“JinShan Beach”. Seriously.

1 Like

Government land surveyor was bitten on the ear by a Bamboo Viper two weeks ago. It was in a tree hanging down as he was beating the bush, as the theory goes. He didn’t know he had been bitten. Went to the hospital and was misdiagnosed as having heat stroke, etc. Chabaduo. Anyway, he didn’t make it.

Yeah. Untreated venomous snake bites aren’t good.

2 Likes

Yes.

TBH the links you posted here didn’t work very well on my phone. I almost got crazy trying to use them… I was already having a very bad day yesterday so I just parked in the middle of that route and did this:

I saw the snake laying on the grass on the side of the road. As I said, not easy to see, I’m proud of myself!

Some drizzle but not too much. I finished a bit late, so I didn’t visit that part of the coast even though I played with the idea for a bit.

Bet none of you have ever seen this beaut!

2 Likes

yes to which one, that they meow or cats eat them?

OK, most of the times yes.

Here is a reference.

The common name, Kelung cat snake, refers to its type, locality, in northern Taiwan.

Cat Snake (Boiga Kraepelini)

You’re right. Never seen one. What is it and where did you see it. Gorgeous snake! How about a reference?

Yeah the links posted here don’t seem to work. PM me and we can figure out a better way to get you the waypoints.

I know exactly where you were. Yep. Totally my neck of the farmlands.

It’s a rare, possibly very rare , Asian Tiger Snake, Taiwan subspecies (I’m guessing it could even be a species due to geographic isolation ), only found above 1500m elevation in the central mountains. Most serious herpies in Taiwan have never seen it either .
If you look closely you can see why its called Asian Tiger Snake.
It’s also possibly unique worldwide in that not only is it venomous it’s flesh is also poisonous (it stores toxins in glands that are concentrated from its diet of poisonous toads).

1 Like

That’s why

That’s why what ? You mean snake folks are lazy ?

That’s why you don’t see that one in the farms. Plus iirc it’s a rare one.

I just said that. Fortunately I saw it :grin: (Pissing off 99% of serious snake people lol).

1 Like

3 Likes

I have :slight_smile: about 2800m.

1 Like

Not a real snake, but pretty amazing.