Snakesoftaiwan.com finally online!

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Well done on bringing all this together. A labour of love, and much needed.
Straight into my favourites.

[quote=“Okami”]Cobras aren’t extinct in Taiwan? I’m kind of happy and shocked.[/quote]Oh yeah! They are out here in my yard from time to time. I see at least an average of five cobras per year in the San-Zhi area. However, this past year was a bit lean and I only saw three. I mostly get the green tree vipers and the banded kraits as well as a lot of other non-venomous snakes in my yard. The most common appears to be the false viper.

[quote=“itakitez”]since Ive had a look now, can I add that a warning triangle tot he poisonous snakes or something on the left margin would be good, since theyre the snakes Im most interested in - or an option to ‘rank by danger’
[/quote]

I’ve been working on Hans to add something like this, as most casual browsers of the site (particularly those who might not even live in Taiwan) are immediately interested in the venomous species of the island. I think we should be able to add that without totally gutting the current “field manual” design whereby the snakes are arranged by skin pattern/design similarities so that when you come across a snake in the wild you can scan the thumbs and narrow down the possibilities with greater ease.

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions - we put this thing together as a resource for YOU and we’ll try to make it as user-friendly as possible!

Cobras extinct? Why? Sure. people still put them in the soup in spite of their protected status, but especially in the South there’s more than you can shake a snake hook at…

Thanks very much, all y’all, for all the nice laurels and suggestions! It was indeed a labor of love, and it’s quite the adrenaline/panic rush to see the baby finally leave the womb…And yes, we’ll keep working on it :slight_smile:

[quote=“Okami”]Great Site!

Cobras aren’t extinct in Taiwan? I’m kind of happy and shocked.[/quote]

I caught one in a betel nut stand… :smiley:

TELL US!! Please!

[quote=“MJB”][quote=“Okami”]Great Site!

I caught one in a betel nut stand… :smiley:[/quote]

:popcorn:

:waitsfordetails:

A very informative and utile site.
:bravo:

[quote=“onionsack”][quote=“itakitez”]since Ive had a look now, can I add that a warning triangle tot he poisonous snakes or something on the left margin would be good, since theyre the snakes Im most interested in - or an option to ‘rank by danger’
[/quote]

I’ve been working on Hans to add something like this, as most casual browsers of the site (particularly those who might not even live in Taiwan) are immediately interested in the venomous species of the island. I think we should be able to add that without totally gutting the current “field manual” design whereby the snakes are arranged by skin pattern/design similarities so that when you come across a snake in the wild you can scan the thumbs and narrow down the possibilities with greater ease.

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions - we put this thing together as a resource for YOU and we’ll try to make it as user-friendly as possible![/quote]

cool

have already posted it around FB since its great - congrats again

Thank you! What’s FB?

Thank you! What’s FB?[/quote]

Facebook? Luddites, indeed. Sheesh. :unamused:

A thoroughly splendiferous site!

I’ve sent the link to some Australian herpetologist friends. Much appreciated work.

[quote=“MJB”][quote=“Okami”]Great Site!

I caught one in a betel nut stand… :smiley:[/quote]

I saw one in the middle of the street fighting with a cat in Muzha.

Oh, and great site. I’m going to be doing a box text on snakes in the next Lonely Planet and will include a link and also the story of Volvics friend Lief who was bitten last year. That should keep the tourists away from taiwan. :laughing:

SPLENDIFEROUS! Thanks, and thanks for the new word! :slight_smile:

Mucha Man,

thanks for the nice words. I’ve never heard about Lief. What’s his story? Whatever it is, please do not mention it in LP, even if it would make good copy. I have a bad feeling about this (©George Lucas). Snakes in Taiwan are not a danger for tourists, and by telling the ignorant public - and ignorant is what most people are about snakes - bite stories would be to distort reality and spread panic. You know how many people are bitten by snakes every year here on the island? Two dozen, tops, almost all of them bare-handed/barefoot farmers. This is not Sri Lanka or South India, where snakes are really dangerous because they’re very numerous, and because people sleep in the open near their rat-infested houses and roll onto cobras and vipers in their sleep. Don’t feed people’s phobias, please. I have visions of idiot Western city kids tromping the woods with hiking poles, mashing every legless critter insight. It’s bad enough that most of the locals are ignorant.

That said, if you still insist on that box text, I wouldn’t mind proofreading it :slight_smile:

No, I have no intention of feeding hysteria. In fact, I wish to dispell it. Mentioning Lief’s story in the context if how few people are bitten, and how he was treated successfully, would be reassuring I think.

Fact is, there are lots of snakes, and little info. People get scared. I was for years until I learned to appreciate these beautiful creatures. But I read new travellers blogs about Taiwan and people really worry about snakes.

I’ll be writing about how to deal with stray dogs, too. And bad bosses. And crazy girlfriends, and drivers who demand coffee, and drivers who pass 6 cars on blind corners, and crazies who attack foreigners in bars, and sulphur in candy, and lead in rice, and pm10 in the air…

I most respectfully disagree. I introduce snakes to schoolkids and their teachers on a regular basis, and you wouldn’t believe the phobias. Leif’s story would make people go “what if I’m not so lucky?” But of course, that’s just my gut feeling. You might actually be right :slight_smile: And I applaud your concern!

Hilarious. Seriously, last year I spent at least 100 nights and almost as many days looking for the little bastards. Almost went broke on the gas money for all those all-night cruises, and screwed up my knee hiking too much. I saw an average of one snake per 40 minutes on a good day. So what’s to be afraid of if you keep your eyes open?

You’re jesting, right?

Yes. :laughing: Well, not about dogs. I also want to clear up the misconception that tossing rocks at them is a good idea.

I actually quite fancy the notion of tossing rocks at tourists :slight_smile:

What’s the story about the coffee-demanding drivers?

I actually quite fancy the notion of tossing rocks at tourists :slight_smile:

What’s the story about the coffee-demanding drivers?[/quote]

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=86255

Lovely :slight_smile: Thanks!