Sneaking suspicion I've been had

According to them, if the they can’t fix it within 7 days, then the 7-day rule applies. … You haven’t seem a post like this in a while? It’s probably because I used to be very active about 15 years ago.

I was told by multiple stores (most recently at a shop in Nova) that this rule only applies to online purchases.

Hi @pipagao, have you checked the logs?

Unfortunately not. I was so busy and had to go after work. I’m also not very tech savvy.

Interesting… I remember when this rule first came out and as far as I know, it applied to all stores that sold durable goods.
I’ve used it to force a stationary store to take unopened items. But, yes they were unopened. It only took a mild tantrum.
Frankly, because I have a family and not much time I limit my shopping to stores that have 7 day return deal as part of normal policy like Sunfair (Ask about exceptions before you buy).
Costco gives us 30 days for somethings and 90 days electronics.
One legal eagle will give us the printout of the law, I’m sure…

Update: After having the service centre have a look at the computer, they agreed that they could not repair the laptop. When I went back to the store, I asked if I could get a refund. I was told that it wasn’t possible and that I could get a new one instead. Later, I spoke to another salesperson who told me that I could get a refund, but that I would lose out on the software that had already been installed. So, I opted to get a replacement. Getting the software reinstalled was another long story. Just as I was about to start enjoying my new laptop, I noticed two things:

1. the sound is exactly the same. This time I did a screen capture and will find a way of uploading it later.
  2. When you click on certain links, they don’t work, esp. PowerPoint. When you restart, it says that the problem was picked up and that the program can be started in “safe mode,” which is possible, but obviously not what you would expect from a new computer.

Whatever happens, I would advise people to use their earphones and test the sound of a new computer, esp. system sounds.

To me, it seems that they must be aware of some issue, but won’t be proactive about it. I met a girl at the repair shop who had the same issue, so the plot thickens.

The Customer Protection Agency is on break this week but please drop by.

1 Like

pipago have you been on this board for a while. Maybe I’m confusing you with an another person whose name ends in -aggo Are you new here in Taiwan? Sorry, my Naive Waiguoren Succer Shopper senses are tingling.
As you are dealing with these people, I see a lot of red flags. You need a local ally to go with you and deal with these people.
A wife, a girlfriend with the righteous retribution of an anime heroine would work.
First the cute smile, then the fangs and then a punch as the prup disappears into a little star in the sky.
Seriosly. You need a local computer tech friend to come with you and argue and get your refund.
Do you think the software you get from a computer dealer here is legal? It isn’t.
If it were legal, you’d pay for the license. Most trusted small time installers copy a hard drive and install cracked versions of the software. If you want can handle the Chinese software, go for it. If not, just go to SunFa and buy the Student/Teacher/Home version. It’s multi lingual and works great. And it’s yours.
I’ve been here more than 20 years and have allied myself with a few decent computer/ shop people. For desktops, they give me great deals because he gets good prices for the parts from his dealer. For laptops and all in one, my friend referred me to the big boys like Sunfa or even Costco because they have the great deals. He even let’s me use his personal discount.
What I’m saying is run. If you want to buy something, you need local independent representation. Otherwise… you are in trouble…
I was too when I first came here. Now, I know I can’t haggle for myself.
I really hope you laptop works out.
You are supposed to be enjoying at least a three year bliss period with an option to buy and extended warranty. And go for the warranty. My products always explode just after the usual warranty is up and I end up getting new logic boards for free… Yay. Good luck

If you mean Poagao, he’s lived in Taiwan for quite a while. I’m guessing pipagao is a different person.

Edited to add:

I don’t know Chinese, but I think these two webpages (both in Chinese) may discuss the issue of seven-day return rights:

https://law.moeasmea.gov.tw/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=22825

http://mld.judicial.gov.tw/UserFiles/1031201-2.pdf

Maybe one or more of these searches, or something like them, could be helpful to someone: site:gov.tw 七天退貨 ; site:gov.tw 七天退貨權利 ; site:gov.tw 七天解約退貨

That is talking on 消費者保護法第十九條第一項, Article 19 of Consumer Protection Act.

http://law.moj.gov.tw/MOBILE/lawEng.aspx?pcode=J0170001
Article 19
Consumers of distance sales or door-to-door sales may return the goods or rescind the contract in writing within 7 days upon receipt of goods or services without stating the reasons or be responsible for any expenses or costs, except in the case of distance sales with reasonable matters.
Reasonable matters prescribed in the previous paragraph shall be proclaimed by the Executive Yuan.
When traders do not provide consumers with information prescribed in the third subparagraph of the first paragraph of previous Article on matters related for consumer to rescind contracts upon receipt of goods or services, the 7 days period set forth in the first paragraph shall not be counted until the date the information is provided. The right to rescind would be deprived if the 7 days period set forth in the first paragraph has lapsed for 4 months.
The contract would be deemed rescinded when the consumers have delivered or issue in writing within the period set prescribed in the first and third paragraph.
Any agreement made in distance sales or door-to-door sales in violations of provisions prescribed in this Article shall be null and void.

1 Like

Maybe I posted the wrong documents, and if so, I apologize. However, I think that tonight I read somewhere that online sales are treated the same way as postal or mail sales (maybe it was postal or mail–I don’t know what the Chinese term was; I was using Google Translate) with regard to the seven-day return right. And I think that the reason given for this similar treatment was that online sales are similar to postal sales, in that the prospective customer cannot examine the item before purchasing it.

1 Like

Oh. No. Yes. The articles say on that. I just wanted to add the specific law related to the seven-day return right.

1 Like

I’m not disputing with you; I just want to show what I was talking about:

https://law.moeasmea.gov.tw/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=22825#22825

The person who wrote the above excerpts, 鄧湘全, has 律師 after his name. I’ll take his word for it.

Whatever your rights are or whatever you’re entitled too I believe the original poster is being had and he did not get new product.
Usually with the right show of “force” or mafioso diplomacy you should be able to negiate a solution. A tech. Friend could easily spot the item as nor being new. You could threaten to expose him. Or you could let it be sent to the factory for repair and maybe get a practically new thing back.
You do need local help.

:eek:

That interpretation of the Consumer Protection Act is probably correct, but there are definitely lüshis out there who write vast quantities of shameless nonsense.

Well, I’m hoping they know more than I do. :slight_smile:

So…
What happened to your lemon laptop. Did you get it repaired with full warranty or did you get let out of the deal and get your money back.

I’m sorry for not reporting back, but I was so disheartened by my final visit, that I lost all hope. I think the fact that nothing like this has ever happened to me in Taiwan in such a long time made it difficult to accept. I haven’t read all your post, but what it boils down to is that after taking back the second laptop, i insisted on a refund, but I was not refunded the entire sum. They got me on the fact that I only had got one receipt for both the laptop and the software. When I bought the laptop, I was told that the software would be NT$300, but on the day I went back to get my refund, I was told that it was NT$4500. Total dishonesty, but I can’t prove my case because it’s my word against all of them. Moral of the story: Get separate receipts. Fortunately one of my school’s computer teachers has ordered a better laptop for me at a lower price. The only thing is that it takes a month to get it that way.

I’ll post some video on the quality of the second laptop I was given. It had the very same defect. After doing a search, I discovered that other people were complaining about the very same problem with that model.

I think my initial assessment was wrong, because when I went back to get the second laptop, the salesperson took the laptop again, but this time I watched him and all he did was to plug it in and turn it on. However, I think they must be aware that there is a problem with that specific model.