Snobbishness

You’re sitting in a meeting with some executive, and the cleaning lady knocks on the door. She respectfully requests that the executive allow her to empty the garbage can, apologizing profusely for the interruption (the service is contracted to be there only at that time, and cannot avoid the interrupted).

The executive grabs the trash can, swings open the door, and wordlessly hands it to the cleaning lady, who is still apologizing. The executive swings the door shut in her face.

The trash is emptied, and another knock comes at the door. “Sorry, but what shall I do with your garbage can?” The terse reply: “Place it on the floor outside the door.”

You see this sort of shit in restaurants, in taxis, in hotels, etc., all of the time.

Even if this cleaning lady had commited some sort of affront that I hadn’t witnessed, the way she was treated still makes me sick.

Am I just getting soft and liberal in my old age?

Where was this? In the US? Taiwan? People who drive beemers and suchlike don’t really recognize cleaning staff as human. You want class discrimination, try the home counties of England. :laughing:

“You can tell a lot about a person by the way they treat the help.”

A truism I learned at a very early age. Whether its the cleaning staff at an office or a wait-person/server in a restaurant, if someone is rude or snobbish to these people it shows a flaw in that persons character.
“Be nice to the people you meet going up because you very well may meet them on your trip back down.”

You see the true nature of people in the manner in which they treat persons less fortunate (or on a lowers social scale, or whom they have nothing to gain from) than themselves. How they treat “equals” or persons of a higher social status is hardly ever a true reflection of character…

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]“You can tell a lot about a person by the way they treat the help.”

A truism I learned at a very early age. Whether its the cleaning staff at an office or a wait-person/server in a restaurant, if someone is rude or snobbish to these people it shows a flaw in that persons character.
“Be nice to the people you meet going up because you very well may meet them on your trip back down.”[/quote]

Dammit! You beat me to the punch… :fume:

Try being a westerner running a pub/restaurnt here. Although I’ve met loads of great folk, and made friends, I have also witnessed quite a bit of this with staff being treated poorly. I don’t see the customer is always right in this scenario and have cheerfully tossed a few assholes out for being wankers.
As a GM, I could never respond to finger clicking, whistling, ‘Oi’, 'Hey boy’etc to get attention, and never really saw why staff had to put up with it either.

I think that it shows a poor level of respect, and a lack of social education.

But… but… you’re Australian. How else are we superior fellows supposed to get you to flunkey for us?
Tsk, tsk. Well REALLY! Those damed colonials just get more and more uppity with every day that passes.

Yes, but the incoherent condition you’re usually in requires some other non verbal form of communication, so you are forgiven.!

Scenario: Oh Gosh, Sandy’s dribbling and waving his arm, that means he wants another drink.

Oh my God yes, and let’s not even get started on the Canadians :smiling_imp:

One of my best friends claps for service. I find it humiliating.

[quote=“Tomas”]You’re sitting in a meeting with some executive, and the cleaning lady knocks on the door. She respectfully requests that the executive allow her to empty the garbage can, apologizing profusely for the interruption (the service is contracted to be there only at that time, and cannot avoid the interrupted).

The executive grabs the trash can, swings open the door, and wordlessly hands it to the cleaning lady, who is still apologizing. The executive swings the door shut in her face.

The trash is emptied, and another knock comes at the door. “Sorry, but what shall I do with your garbage can?” The terse reply: “Place it on the floor outside the door.”

You see this sort of shit in restaurants, in taxis, in hotels, etc., all of the time.

Even if this cleaning lady had commited some sort of affront that I hadn’t witnessed, the way she was treated still makes me sick.

Am I just getting soft and liberal in my old age?[/quote]
Maybe you’re misreading the situation. Maybe office dude doesn’t like his closed door meetings to be interrupted - by anyone - which is why he has a door, and which is why it’s closed.

I have a similar pet peeve with waiters who interrupt conversations, especially focused conversations, whether they be romantic, intimate dinners, or serious lunch meetings. Waiters, good ones at least, know how to make themselves visible at the periphery and should not appear until they are wanted.

[quote=“Maoman”]Maybe you’re misreading the situation. Maybe office dude doesn’t like his closed door meetings to be interrupted - by anyone - which is why he has a door, and which is why it’s closed.

I have a similar pet peeve with waiters who interrupt conversations, especially focused conversations, whether they be romantic, intimate dinners, or serious lunch meetings. Waiters, good ones at least, know how to make themselves visible at the periphery and should not appear until they are wanted.[/quote]

I think they’re very different situations. One is contracted to do a job at a certain time of the day, and the other is paid to wait. One takes out the trash, the other is supposed to do customer service.

And even if someone is being out of line, it’s up to you to treat them civilly.

“Here you go. I’m in a meeting, please just leave it outside the door. Thank you.”

“Excuse me, but I’m fine. I’ll call when I need something. Thank you.”

Poor behaviour by the staff is usually the result of the customer not making their expectations clear. If you don’t want the cleaner coming into a meeting room then leave instructions with your secretary that you don’t want to be disturbed. Until she knows what you want you can’t expect her to know that it’s OK to not do the job she’s being paid to do. And T’s executive did give her the bin, so he obviously recognised that the job had to be done.

She was doing what she was paid to do at the time she was paid to do it. A little respect goes a long way.

I think my attitude stems from taking a walk with my grandfather when I was about 7. We passed a guy sweeping the street, and my grandfather gave him a cheery “good morning” and went on to comment that the street looked very nice. As we carried on with our walk he told me that he liked to see someone taking care of the community, and that it was an important service worthy of recognition.

Years later when I started working for a living, someone pointed out to me that you don’t hire people to do nothing. If they’re collecting a wage they should be doing something useful for it. Why give someone a hard time for doing what you pay them to do? Madness.

It’s different with waiters because you’re paying them to piss off until you finish your bloody meal in peace and quiet.

At my old school there was a cleaning lady. I asked her to clean my house and then paid her 1000nt an hour…since I wouldn’t do it myself for less than that…I thought it was fair. She was very pleased…to say the least.

Only problem I have now is her phoning me asking if my house needs cleaning…every other week. :laughing:

I had a friend who did that too (western, mind you), and one time she brought a whistle to the pub so that she could get faster service. I had a few words with her about that and told her I would leave if she didn’t put it away. She was always like that about service…demanding, and very rude to service people. Eventually I stopped hanging out with her entirely because it was so embarassing!

[quote=“Tomas”]You’re sitting in a meeting with some executive, and the cleaning lady knocks on the door. She respectfully requests that the executive allow her to empty the garbage can, apologizing profusely for the interruption (the service is contracted to be there only at that time, and cannot avoid the interrupted).

Am I just getting soft and liberal in my old age?[/quote]

Well as the Hindus ruffly say, life is choas and its hard to get your head around certian actions of man. Asians are not raised with our sence of Roman virtue but good on you sticking up for the working man.

They say all the marxists have left North America and Europe anyway and the real pones live in Asia.

my opinion also…

To paraphrase Jane Austen: “The truest test of a person’s breeding is how they treat ‘the help’”…perhaps that sounds arrogant; I refer to “service workers”, such as the bartender and foodserver that I once was during my years at university…

My girlfriend (from Hong Kong) always tells me to stop being so nice to sales clerks and restaurant staff. I cannot understand that mentality. (no- I am not flirting)

[quote=“serious_fun”]I refer to “service workers”, such as the bartender and foodserver that I once was during my years at university…

My girlfriend (from Hong Kong) always tells me to stop being so nice to sales clerks and restaurant staff. I cannot understand that mentality. (no- I am not flirting)[/quote]

This is part of it too. Those who haven’t been there have little empathy. I did my share of waiting tables back in the school days and was a gas bar attendant in high school. I will not hesitate to tell a friend or colleague they are out of line for such obnoxious behavior.

That’s not snobbery, that’s rudeness and insecurity. Proper snobs wouldn’t lower themselves to talk to the cleaning lady and if it were unavoidable would adopt an air of superior detachment. It takes practice, but is a lot more seemly. You uneducated oafs probably don’t know what I’m talking about.

Lord Muck of Clabberhill

Which is why I won’t comment on this issue at all.