Snobbishness

I had a friend who did that too (western, mind you), and one time she brought a whistle to the pub so that she could get faster service. I had a few words with her about that and told her I would leave if she didn’t put it away. She was always like that about service…demanding, and very rude to service people. Eventually I stopped hanging out with her entirely because it was so embarassing![/quote]

:astonished: Does this shit work?

I think I get better and faster service by being nice and making the staff like me.

Did this chick have a boyfriend? No offense to your friend, but if I went out with a girl who brought a whistle to a pub, I wouldn’t want to know what kind of wife/mother she would make.

Nothing to do with soft and liberal, Tomas. I am “hard and conservative” and have always hated that type of snobbishness. There is no reason to treat another human being in such a manner. Folks who behave that way, IMO, are attempting to impress upon others their own sense of importance by belittling others. Doesn’t impress me in the way that they hope it does.

I had a friend who did that too (western, mind you), and one time she brought a whistle to the pub so that she could get faster service. I had a few words with her about that and told her I would leave if she didn’t put it away. She was always like that about service…demanding, and very rude to service people. Eventually I stopped hanging out with her entirely because it was so embarassing![/quote]

:astonished: Does this shit work?

I think I get better and faster service by being nice and making the staff like me.

Did this chick have a boyfriend? No offense to your friend, but if I went out with a girl who brought a whistle to a pub, I wouldn’t want to know what kind of wife/mother she would make.[/quote]

It actually worked at this particular pub, because she was often there and the staff were scared shitless of her. She was an older, single South African woman. That was the last straw really…as cool and fun as she was to hang out with, her obnoxious behavior when dealing with service staff lost her a lot of friends. No one wanted to be associated with her.

And yes, I agree with you…being nice to staff definitely works better! My friend was just such a domineering personality that she intimidated staff and always complained to the owner (who lived out of the country) when she didn’t get top service. Then , the staff would get in trouble. She really had the upper hand at that place. :astonished:

[quote=“Loretta”][quote=“Maoman”]Maybe you’re misreading the situation. Maybe office dude doesn’t like his closed door meetings to be interrupted - by anyone - which is why he has a door, and which is why it’s closed.

I have a similar pet peeve with waiters who interrupt conversations, especially focused conversations, whether they be romantic, intimate dinners, or serious lunch meetings. Waiters, good ones at least, know how to make themselves visible at the periphery and should not appear until they are wanted.[/quote]

I think they’re very different situations. One is contracted to do a job at a certain time of the day, and the other is paid to wait. One takes out the trash, the other is supposed to do customer service.

And even if someone is being out of line, it’s up to you to treat them civilly.

“Here you go. I’m in a meeting, please just leave it outside the door. Thank you.”

“Excuse me, but I’m fine. I’ll call when I need something. Thank you.”

[/quote]

Bingo. The cleaning people are required to perform the service of cleaning the office at that particular time. They run the risk of being reprimanded for not taking out the trash if they don’t ask.

This executive’s attitude is very much like a parent who screams at a child who asks if she can help with something around the house.