So "Fuck you" is now okay in certain forums?

Seems that way. Heimoshu recently launched into this assault on me:

[quote]Sure MM apologized but his apology is as full of shit as him and FM… Do you think that MM’s apology should stand. I think it is typical bigoted BS like that that gets to me…Now some pompous prick on a forum wants to score some points pointing that out and then offer a halfhearted apology. Fuck off.

“Fuck you and you dumbass opinions about South Africans and people who claim to be Taiwanese”.[/quote]

And Bizmark, the mod, leaves it sit and apparently even tags it with a like (he eventually cut the original post but still has left the content on his quote and has even defended the post).

Super80 and I both complain and we get this:

[quote]Well, he insulted the man’s country, and his countrymen directly, and him indirectly. What the hell do you expect? Saffas can get very defensive about these things. To be fair, I would have to suspend the both of them. But I’m not keen on that sort of thing. I’m sure MM can defend himself well enough. He’s good with words. Better than me, better than most.
He said, “Fuck you and you dumbass opinions about South Africans and people who claim to be Taiwanese”. Where I come from originally, that isn’t considered a personal insult. Them’re just fighting words.

Don’t insult a man’s country, his countrymen et al, and you won’t get a “fuck you and your opinions” in return, yeah? We’re all grown ups here. We realise the result of our words.[/quote]

First off I said nothing that the Saffies don’t say all the time on this site, or that they haven’t been telling me for 15 years: they don’t go back because they have nothing to go back to.

I meant no insult by that and apologized if it came out the wrong way. That should have been it but Biz decides he didn’t like it and would just sit back and do nothing when HMS went far beyond what the rules allow.

I’m been banned for saying “fuck off with the excuses” to a poster who was bragging about breaking the law. How do the remarks made above not result in even a warning?

The uneven moderation of this site is really pushing this site further towards self-immolation. Could we perhaps not keep lighting more fires?

I was practically called a Nazi in the Che thread in the Teaching in English Forum. I’m glad the moderator left it in (kudos to Tempo Gain) because it just shows the complete stupidity of the poster in this instance (I usually have no problems with his posts).That’s what I love about free speech and allowing the free flow of information. In the end, it hurts the person crossing the line as it displays his/her stupidity to everyone. That’s better than splitting something, temping it or removing it IMHO.

Jesus. What is it with you guys? Nobody’s perfect. It’s easy to sit in the stands and scream and shout.

Crying about bismarck? That guy’s a fucking stalwart. He’s been giving selflessly of his time for years now to make this site a better place. Shame on you.

Of course you can do a better job. Here: send Goose Egg a message applying for a moderator position. memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=352

It’s well-paid and the gratitude from the community is heart-warming. :bow:

Rail against the INJUSTICE of it all! Do not go gentle unto that good night.

and to think i got sent off for two weeks once for puttin on a youtube clip bout a japanese girl with big boobies wearing her bikini and another time for another japanese girl youtube clip (also with big booties)…the shame. :laughing:

As one who was very recently also told to “fuck off”, I can attest to it not even penetrating the epidermis.

[color=#FF4040]GTFU[/color] and deal with it… :laughing:

I was told to fuck off yesterday while playing hockey. I crosschecked a guy in the kidneys and he had the nerve to get angry. How rude. He then slashed me on my calf. This morning my leg is black and blue. Can I complain to a mod about it? Can a mod suspend him from playing hockey for two weeks?

I see it as inconsistent modding. When Person A is suddenly and without warning suspended for telling a troll who richly deserves it to “f off”, while Person B is left untouched after telling a legitimate poster the same thing, I see that as a problem.

First off I said nothing that the Saffies don’t say all the time on this site, or that they haven’t been telling me for 15 years: they don’t go back because they have nothing to go back to.[/quote]
I must say, it reminds me of when my ex-gf would complain about what an asshole her father was (and he was). But when I dared to mention to her that I thought he was an asshole, I got an earful from her.

People often criticize things that are their own, but don’t take kindly to outsiders leveling the same criticisms. Odd human phenomenon, but there you have it.

I see it as evolving moderation. This issue is being discussed behind the curtain. BUT< mods have lives and I think it’s disappointing that some people demand instant response to their feedback. Any thoughts of partisanship motivated moderating are absolutely mistaken. Observing these guys at work over the last few months makes me proud to represent them and most of you in the marketplace. Hell, I am proud to rep all of you, and I mean ALL of you. Everyone is free to contribute their thoughts and debate positions within what appears to be pretty clear guidelines. Step outside these lines and then the mods have to make decisions. I believe each mod appreciates feedback no end, if presented in a constructive manner. Use the report function, use the ignore function, use your scroll wheel, do whatever you need to to contribute positively to whatever discussion you wish to partake of. Don’t give the mods anything to do and we’ll see a much more fruitful discourse take place.

Stew

Kudos aside, thanks, I hadn’t noticed the thread was in the English forum :blush: I’ve now split, temped and removed various parts of it :slight_smile:

I’ve been insulted, given insults and told people to fuck off here…all without any warnings being issued to anyone.

I have also received one warning, for telling someone they were “acting toolish”.

Different forums with different mods. Depends on the mod and probably depends on what the mod had for breakfast, if s/he got any nookie recently, or more likely how busy the mod was that day.

F.com is free. Getting too mad over it is like getting all irate over facebook changing its layout every few months.

That’s a classic newbie assumption but it’s not true. It’s not free. There are rules and regulations regarding behavior and these apply across all forums. All mods are expected to enforce the rules. Inconsistency in the enforcement of rules has been a sire spot with the community for a decade but has gotten near out of control in recent months.

In any case, people are frequently suspended and even banned for life for being disruptive. But this is usually not made public so your other point is also inaccurate.

That’s a classic newbie assumption but it’s not true. It’s not free. There are rules and regulations regarding behavior and these apply across all forums and. All mods are expected to enforce the rules.

People are frequently suspended and even banned for life for being disruptive. But this is usually not made public.[/quote]

I didn’t mean free like in “home of the free” I meant free of charge (i.e. you don’t gotto pay no money for nuttin).

Which it is, unless this is just a newbie assumption and soon I am going to receive a large bill in the mail?

Maoman was stricter . A “fuck you” would likely have resulted in a suspension. I was warned once for saying someone was being foolish.

Maybe instead of saying Fuck You, say **** you. The point will have been taken, or use (blank) you ! Again , point taken.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]Seems that way. Heimoshu recently launched into this assault on me:

[quote]Sure MM apologized but his apology is as full of shit as him and FM… Do you think that MM’s apology should stand. I think it is typical bigoted BS like that that gets to me…Now some pompous prick on a forum wants to score some points pointing that out and then offer a halfhearted apology. Fuck off.

“Fuck you and you dumbass opinions about South Africans and people who claim to be Taiwanese”.[/quote]

And Bizmark, the mod, leaves it sit and apparently even tags it with a like (he eventually cut the original post but still has left the content on his quote and has even defended the post).[/quote]
I should have done something about that, and it was my mistake to let it sit. Perhaps I also took your post that initiated that personally, and as a mod, I guess I shouldn’t have. I have to work on weekends, and that thread was driving me up the bloody wall, not to mention consuming time I would rather have spent doing other things.
I’ve asked and been granted leave from LiT, mostly because of time constraints, but also because I often take insults against SA and Taiwan very personally and find that forum very difficult to mod.

/explanation

Apologies that I didn’t nip it in the bud. The fault is mine, although a pm or reporting the post would definitely have prompted a sterner reaction from me.

[quote=“Chris”]I must say, it reminds me of when my ex-gf would complain about what an asshole her father was (and he was). But when I dared to mention to her that I thought he was an asshole, I got an earful from her.

People often criticize things that are their own, but don’t take kindly to outsiders leveling the same criticisms. Odd human phenomenon, but there you have it.[/quote]
Chris, on this you are very correct. Saffas are an odd lot that way. We joke and complain about a lot of things, including race that would probably offend most, if not all, North Americans, Europeans and maybe even Aussies. But we don’t take kindly to outsiders doing the same, much the same as your example above.

Anyway, apologies all round for not handling this better.

Very gracious of you, Biz. Just to let you know, I would have sent a pm in most cases, but seeing that you had “approved” of the comment, and also on the next page mentioned that you never suspended anyone, I thought there was no point.

Again, I do apologize for any misconceptions about my comment regarding South Africans leaving their homeland. It was not meant in any way to insult, but was simply a statement of why it seems a number of your countrymen have taken up citizenship here. In retrospect yes I can see why you and others got annoyed at the statement (for reasons Chris mentioned), even if it is a point you often make yourselves.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]Very gracious of you, Biz. Just to let you know, I would have sent a pm in most cases, but seeing that you had “approved” of the comment, and also on the next page mentioned that you never suspended anyone, I thought there was no point.

Again, I do apologize for any misconceptions about my comment regarding South Africans leaving their homeland. It was not meant in any way to insult, but was simply a statement of why it seems a number of your countrymen have taken up citizenship here. In retrospect yes I can see why you and others got annoyed at the statement (for reasons Chris mentioned), even if it is a point you often make yourselves.[/quote]
No worries, mate. I was having a kak day. :bow: