So...Greta Thunberg is being manipulated?

1 Like

“People do not suffer from autism, they suffer from other people.” --Dr. Tony Attwood

2 Likes

Is he the Asperger’s expert who didn’t realise his son was Asperger’s?

So you’re criticizing his honesty in admitting that, when many others would have tried to hide it? His point was to show how personal biases can skew our perceptions.

He’s not the best example. Autistic people protest at his lectures. Supposedly he mocks them.

If you’re interested in what Autistic people do or do not accept about THEMSELVES, you may like to search for the #actuallyAutistic hashtag.

Most “truths” out there about autism come from others – parents, etc. – who have rarely taken the trouble to even consider looking at autism from a non-pathological perspective.

I would not criticize anyone for not recognizing autism in any particular individual, since people are by and large so quick to simply dismiss. “He’s weird.” “She’s a bitch”. Easily dismissed, and there’s always another “perfectly good reason” not to hire them/hang out with them/look beneath the surface. Particularly in women and girls, the underdiagnosis rate is enormous because autism doesn’t present as it (often) does in males. Anyone looking for “classic” autism will find nothing else. And when you look at “classic” autism with non-pathological eyes, and provide appropriate communication tools, you will find that even people labeled the most “low-functioning” have a lot to say that was never listened to before. (“Functioning” labels are another thing that the #actuallyAutistic dislike, as they don’t really adequately describe what’s going on.)

But by all means, keep up with the slick one-dimensional slagging off. Conventional wisdom: she’s Autistic, she must be stupid, ill-informed, manipulated and know nothing about any given topic. Typical lack of focus and discernment seen among the allistic. LOL

3 Likes

Christ on a bike, I was defending autistic people.

Unless you support Tony Attwood? Enjoy his impersonations?

Not particularly. Many people in the community don’t particularly like the Temple Grandin Show either.

But he’s correct about the fact that the majority of “suffering” that comes about for Autistic people is due to ignorance or lack of acceptance from society at large, not from the “disorder”. Autism and/or mental illness are about the only things it’s still okay to discriminate against openly because, you know, obviously they don’t have to behave in that way we don’t quite like.

If Greta Thunberg is Autistic, it’s likely climate change was a special interest, and there are few people who end up knowing more about a topic than an Autistic person with a special interest.

5 Likes

Some of us were willing to mention it in passing and move on to other funny political pictures. But then somebody decided to start this thread, so here we are.

Yeah. I started it, instead of pushing that topic into offtopic territory, I created a new one. The only thing that picture had was her and mentioning of her autism. Is the punchline her Autism? Is that the funny thing? So now we’re laughing at Autistic people?

1 Like

Did you just accuse me of following someone else’s lead?

I’ll plea bargain with you: I do relish a good fight when one comes my way.

This. So much this. The fact that people think this way makes the forums less welcoming and keeps people hiding aspects of themselves. If this is how people think, then mentioning having Autism would be like mentioning being black in a forum full of white supremacists. The minute someone finds out if you’re autistic or not means that your arguments, good or not will be immediately dismissed because in one second, all goodwill built up to the point of finding out that the person is autistic has been erased.

This is sad. Remember, unless you have your full deck of cards, your argument means nothing.

2 Likes

The punchline is she’s the mouthpiece for global warming, instead of someone more sane. Her various symptoms of lunacy are just the setup for the joke.

Really. Are you so fixated on this that you miss the actual joke? I’ll say it again: you have to have a heart of stone not to laugh.

Autists are just the designated victim group du jour. In a year or two they’ll all have moved on some other bright shiny thing. Maybe it will be verboten to question or criticize people with dandruff or something. But in the meantime, perhaps this discussion would be more appropriate on the This Is An Outrage thread?

(Me, I’m still waiting for hillbillies to get their fifteen minutes of victimhood. `Coz I’m tired of hearing about white privilege.)

She’s stupid whether she’s autistic or not. I don’t honor the victim card.

And has at a young age accomplished more to help other people than you have or ever will.

She is worthy of respect. What are you doing with your time exactly? Mocking autistic girls under a fake name in an online forum and living in a make believe world where science doesn’t exist.

3 Likes

In a pig’s eye.

But… it’s a GOOD life.

No we’re not! I’M AUTISTIC! The ones without Autism, society, have forced victimhood upon us. We just want to live our lives without discrimination, positive and negative! We don’t want the sympathy. We want to be accepted. But when you say euphemisms like ‘missing deck of cards’, it perpetuates the MYTH that we’re not 100% there. It’s not so hard to understand that people with High-functioning Autism think differently.

People here on the forums, including myself complain when Taiwanese try to mother us, no matter how well-integrated we are into their country. We walk into a restaurant and immediately shoved an English menu like a tourist. We’re automatically a victim of having waiguoren disease, walking everywhere with people treating us like we’re unable to learn their Chinese language and understand/adopt East Asian customs. Even people born, raised here and speak Chinese perfectly get the treatment if they so happen to be Not-Asian, except we, Autistic people get to deal with two types of people who force victimhood on us. The ones who think we’re idiots and dismiss what we say, and the others that think we’re idiots and try to sympathise with alleged suffering…that we apparently go through.

This goes back to the beginning of the topic. No, she’s not being manipulated, she can think for herself. Thank you.
I run a bloody business in the middle of a country where I don’t speak natively, I don’t have family and I take care of EVERYTHING about it. This would be daunting to ANYONE. And I take care of myself just fine.

2 Likes

Everyone’s a victim for fifteen minutes. Enjoy it while it lasts.

I’m not a victim. I take care of my own shit and am fiercely independent. Thank you.

3 Likes

I think it’s clear this poster is intentionally trying to offend people. He just described it as ‘gravy’ he got the pleasure or mocking an autistic girl when all he did was set out to deny science.

If only there were some guidelines or rules about this.

3 Likes