So how bad are the Typhoons / Monsoons in Taipei?

My first post… as I am really here to research finding an apartment and employment in Taipei. I’ll make a proper intro of myself in another thread shortly.

I was in Taipei for a month in May… yes it rained and was hot… but didn’t get the chance to experience an Monsoon or wait… is it Typhoon? I forget the difference.

So can you share your experience with this storm… especially if you are in Taipei.

I am a bit nervous about being exposed to this type of rare storm… as I dont know how good the sewage/ draining systems they have in place in Taipei. I dont speak mandarin, so how will I be informed if one is on its way?
I have visions of water up to my waist if I get caught in one.
Does internet access and all other things grind to a halt?

Thanks in advance.

[quote=“Andrew72”]My first post… as I am really here to research finding an apartment and employment in Taipei. I’ll make a proper intro of myself in another thread shortly.

I was in Taipei for a month in May… yes it rained and was hot… but didn’t get the chance to experience an Monsoon or wait… is it Typhoon? I forget the difference.

So can you share your experience with this storm… especially if you are in Taipei.

I am a bit nervous about being exposed to this type of rare storm… as I dont know how good the sewage/ draining systems they have in place in Taipei. I dont speak mandarin, so how will I be informed if one is on its way?
I have visions of water up to my waist if I get caught in one.
Does internet access and all other things grind to a halt?

Thanks in advance.[/quote]
In Taipei? A bit of wind and rain. Possibly a day off. Nothing to worry about. There were a couple that resulted in very heavy flooding several years ago, but it prompted some very serious river improvements that ended that problem.

Monsoon’s the regularly scheduled downpour that soaks you for a couple hours every afternoon. Bucket loads of rain, but nothing to worry about.

Typhoon’s a hurricane by another name. If you’re not foolish enough to ride a scooter in those winds, or unlucky enough to have a sign blow down on you… or have your balcony flood and spillover into your apartment, it’s a just a day or two off work.

The drains/sewage may not look that much, but the river control measures are up to speed. They have had a couple of incidents in teh past but they act quickly if things go out of hand.

This year the storms might be a bit stronger than usual, but as said, because of Taipei’s position, meaning unless you live up in the mountains, the greater risk of landslides and flooding is averted. Check with us which area you have chosen to live, in any case.

Please check the thread about preparations for typhoon -which is written with the worse case scenario in mind- and do heed the precautions offered: don’t go out unnecessarily, period. And the shopping list: medications, food, water, entertainment.

Internet and electricity normally do not fail. May flicker a bit, due to everyone holed up downloading stuff to entertain themselves, but that’s another story.

Monsoon’s the regularly scheduled downpour that soaks you for a couple hours every afternoon. Bucket loads of rain, but nothing to worry about.

Typhoon’s a hurricane by another name. If you’re not foolish enough to ride a scooter in those winds, or unlucky enough to have a sign blow down on you… or have your balcony flood and spillover into your apartment, it’s a just a day or two off work.[/quote]

Or dumb enough to head out to the coast to get video, in which case you’ll probably get to experience Darwinism in action…

Thanks all, I am glad I didn’t get flamed for not searching… as I just came across a few very well written threads about preparing for Typhoon.

I am coming from South Carolina, so I been prepared for another Hugo or Katrina hurricane ever since.

I have an entire section in my kitchen dedicated to atleast 3 days of hell if my house was to get destroyed and I had to run for my life.

But I am not the greatest swimmer and thanks to the internet and seeing some seriously horrible flooding in foreign countries with buses and cars floating for a long swim down a river under bridges, etc. I was curious just how bad it could get in Taipei. I already bookmarked the hurricane websites, I thank you for those.

Great Forum. Hope I can contribute in the future… after my many questions are answered.

[quote=“Andrew72”]I am coming from South Carolina, so I been prepared for another Hugo or Katrina hurricane ever since.

I have an entire section in my kitchen dedicated to atleast 3 days of hell if my house was to get destroyed and I had to run for my life.[/quote]
A very good idea. I have a ‘holy shit’ sack packed and ready to grab in case of another major earthquake.

oh, and welcome aboard.

[quote=“Andrew72”]Thanks all, I am glad I didn’t get flamed for not searching… as I just came across a few very well written threads about preparing for Typhoon.

I am coming from South Carolina, so I been prepared for another Hugo or Katrina hurricane ever since.

I have an entire section in my kitchen dedicated to atleast 3 days of hell if my house was to get destroyed and I had to run for my life.

But I am not the greatest swimmer and thanks to the internet and seeing some seriously horrible flooding in foreign countries with buses and cars floating for a long swim down a river under bridges, etc. I was curious just how bad it could get in Taipei. I already bookmarked the hurricane websites, I thank you for those.

Great Forum. Hope I can contribute in the future… after my many questions are answered.[/quote]

We are ready here, too. :thumbsup:

I live next to the National Center for Disasters… lots of satellite news vans is as bad as it gets. :smiley: But it fuels the local snack and packed lunch/dinner industry…

You will see the boats parked outside the fire stations. Do not be frightened: it is part of their training -and they have little storage room-, and they usually assist the communities that may be affected deep into the mountains far away, where, by the way, normally people evacuate into schools/temples days ahead.

The news stations will give ample coverage of the typhoon’s path and scope, with plenty of maps you can understand generally without much Chinese. Just be careful NOT to become the subject of their “atoga does something silly” segment.

Plus, the surf can really go off during typhoons.

Then Taipei will be probably get hit by another Nari this year…that would be ironic. I’m going to freak you out now by mentioning Shimen Reservoir dam, look it up :slight_smile:

All I can say is don’t live in Songshan or Shijr if you are so worried…things have improved a lot though.

They were better in The Old Days. We haven’t had a decent typhoon for years. Kids these days don’t know what a real typhoon is. When I were a lad…

:laughing:

Find out whether the neighborhood you’re considering moving to has ever flooded in a typhoon, and whether levy work has been done to prevent recurrence. Avoid living on the 1st floor, anywhere. Prepare for the worst, but generally don’t expect much other than a day off and a bit of boredom. Homes here are steel-reinforced concrete and are built to withstand these storms. The main danger is bits of corrugated roofing or signs that fly about during the worst of the winds (so you don’t want to be out during that), and flooding in some rural, mountainous and low-lying areas, plus landslides. Most people in city apartments don’t face these dangers. It’s mostly inconvenience (including things like clogged balcony drains resulting in a minor flood in your living room). Have your food, water etc. all ready as per the preparedness thread, and also stuff to do (including stuff to do if the power goes out for a day).

[quote=“headhonchoII”]Then Taipei will be probably get hit by another Nari this year…that would be ironic. I’m going to freak you out now by mentioning Shimen Reservoir dam, look it up :slight_smile:

All I can say is don’t live in Songshan or Xizhi if you are so worried…things have improved a lot though.[/quote]

OK, if we have to be brutally honest and we are naming names… Xindian mountains have had a bit of problems, with roads washed away partially. Fixed quieckly, though.

This year, Xinlong Road houses close to teh hills also had some minos landslides. This is close to Jinmei area, south of teh city.

I don’t have a shit pack packed for emergencies, but the time after theChinese earthquake followed by the one in Japan, I was considering it - seriously. OP we have earthquakes here too. Double jeopardy!