So how DO I make friends in Taiwan?

Yea man, I been wanting to go to Forumosa happy hour but it always occurs at a bad time (fridays or Saturdays) where I have to work… I don’t know if Wednesday is a good time for anyone but if so maybe we can organize a happy hour for that?

Go the other places of Taiwan,you will find it is not that bad as you think.

Not only in the bars or clubs you can make friends.

Go the other places of Taiwan,you will find it is not that bad as you think.

Not only in the bars or clubs you can make friends.[/quote]

So where is the place for most people to socialize?

What I find works for me is to find one or two nice cafes and go there frequently. Get to know the owners (find ones with owners near your age) and make friends with them. They will introduce you to all their friends too.

I’d say don’t knock making friends who are older than you. For example I’ve met Sandman a few times and he’s older than Methuselah… he smells a bit, but he has a heart of gold.

But in all seriousness, you’ll find the older people have had the same problems as you and probably worse. Think about it this way, at least you are in Taiwan looking for friends in 2007. Imagine how difficult it must have been in the late 80’s/ early 90’s with no intarweb.

[quote=“Funk500”]I’d say don’t knock making friends who are older than you. For example I’ve met Sandman a few times and he’s older than Methuselah… he smells a bit, but he has a heart of gold.

But in all seriousness, you’ll find the older people have had the same problems as you and probably worse. Think about it this way, at least you are in Taiwan looking for friends in 2007. Imagine how difficult it must have been in the late 80’s/ early 90’s with no intarweb.[/quote]

I kinda think that the web often makes it harder to find real friends. Because there is so much more superficiality. Whereas before we ONLY had the “real world” people seemed more interested to “make things happen, right now”. Whereas today, one can get back into the net world and surf with no attachment and little investment.

Todays cafes in Berkeley (hopefully Taipeis not like that) has a lot of people in them. Often each person having their own computer and communicating via the net with people that are NOT THERE in person. And there is zilch interaction among the people actually at the cafe (besides those who you brought with you).

The net has made social interaction more distant .

actually Tommy I was refering to the idea of looking for people/places to go to.

But yes, I take your point about the net making interaction more distant.

Hey I’m “new” here too. I’ve just started working here in Taipei. I used to go out with my roommate for shopping etc but she went home already to Canada. She introduced me to some of her friends but of course I want to expand my network a bit. if you guys want to meet up for a coffee, I’d be glad to get to know you too. :slight_smile: Just PM me.

I have a Taiwanese friend.
He never talks to me.
But he gave me a bottle of whiskey and a few bottles of wine recently.
That’s enough for me.

In a way, that’s a much better friend than I ever had back home. No borrowing money, no needing my car or a ride… deliver the alc and here I go… he he he

But it did make me wish he would ask to meet me.

Why the angry smiley if it was a joke?

I have offered friendship to whom ever wants it multiple times. If you refuse then you have no room to complain.

edit: to fix grammar.

Are you good?

[quote=“Frost”]I have offered friendship to whom ever wants it multiple time. If you refuse then you have no room to complain.[/quote]I’m happy to be your friend, but I don’t want it multiple time, I’m not that sort of friend.

I’m good. Fluffy, you know you loved it. I’ll edit my post to add that “s” for you.

Not easy in Japan not easy in Taiwan but probably easier in Taiwan

3 Likes

Pretty funny :grin:

In Soviet Russia, graves dig YOU!!!