So... how do you do it? (read: taiwanese girlfriends? really?)

I feel I’m going to regret this, but… someone define “quality” :? :slight_smile:

Hope nobody thought I was referring to something like “must be good in bed” when I mentioned quality, I will try to explain:

“Quality” is for me a combination of several things, roughly divided (equally) into 3 main categories. In no particular order: looks, character and intelligence. A person which fulfills all the requirements in all the categories would be the perfect mate, a potential life-time partner and as such “quality” (to me).
Of course ‘looks’ for example is very subjective, based on personal preference. It does not mean someone needs to look like a model though.
As well my expectations (or requirements) for “quality” can differ very much from anyone’s else, so “my quality” might not be equal to Omni’s, he might have different requirements or a different defintion even.

Carefully put the majority of Taiwanese girls doesn’t meet my personal (subjective) expectations of looks, hence my statement that there is a shortage of quality.
That does not mean there aren’t any good looking girls around though, and certainly there are Taiwanese girls who would meet all ‘my requirements’ but I just think in comparision to e.g. Malaysia and Thailand there are too few of them. Perhaps I am a bit biased because I stayed there for too long. :wink:

I sincerely hope no one, in particular Taiwanese or those married to Taiwanese, have taken any offense - it was/is not my intention to judge them, I just stated my personal view/preference.

In a nutshell: Good to look at, good to be with (in all situations), and good to converse with. In other words, physically attractive, good-natured, thoughtful, affectionate, intelligent, open-minded, and well-informed or eager to become well-informed. I don’t think that differs much or at all from Rascal’s specifications. If she scores an average of 80% on each of those heads, then certainly she has quality enough for me.

Let me simplify it to the bare bones basics:

Someone you want to be with both in and out of bed.

It’s easy to find someone who meets half of the criteria, but someone who fulfills both halves, those are hard to find.

Mod, I like your last post! Such a romantic! So tell me this, guys… how do we foreign gals living in Taiwan compare to the Taiwanese ladies?

Combining 2 culture chocks will often have problems working out in the long run.

I once ran into a foreign girl in a bar - she spent 2 hours telling me how horrible the local girls were.

Now, do you think I felt like leaving any kind of contact information with her even if a had been on the “market”?

Foreign girls will always have an advantage, when it comes to common cultural background etc. However they are thin on the ground, and most I have run into here suffer from a culture chock.

Aw - classy replies, guys. I notice ‘is irresistibly attracted to me’ didn’t seem to come into it though - or don’t you usually have a problem with that bit? :wink: I would think that’s an attractive attribute, ‘quality’ or not…

Measurements, we need the 3 measurements :smiling_imp:

How about NEAT, SWEET, and PETITE.

Join a group or a club. First think of your hobbies. Find a group with the same hobbies. Hang out with them. I know lots of martial arts groups in Taipei for example. Some of the classes have as many as 40 students; 20 of which are girls! As a foreigner, there are always serveral people, even girls who will offer their expert assistance in translation until they learn that I already speak the language.

I read something about the meat market from somebody else. You should not hope to find meat in the bakery. You need to GO to where the product you want is being sold.

Yep, sounds spot on. :slight_smile:

We take that for granted, don’t we? And if she wasn’t thus smitten, I doubt she’d have much chance of passing the intelligence test. :wink:

Try coffee bars, especially around the universities. Loads of cute xiaojies, some studying English so you can offer them assistance.

In one branch of Starbucks where I was a regular one of the staff asked me for a date.

Don’t just nod hello to the mothers picking up kids at the kindergarten or buxiban, talk to them!

OK, I’m just kidding about that last post. A very, very bad idea, major recipe for trouble, even if…well, anyone reasonably attractive foreign male who’s ever worked as an English teacher knows, the ‘desparately lonely housewife trapped in a typical Taiwanese loveless marriage irresistably attracted to me’ market is always out there…

ever noticed the correlation between wealth and looks? I used to live in taiwan, just came back to los angeles…in all honesty I have seen far more attractive taiwanese women in los angeles than in taiwan! I have heard a theory from abcs (I am white mind you) that people cant judge looks in a separate ethnic group, I totally buy into this. I grew up in a vast majority asian area (about 70% asian) which gave me some sense of judging and by LA standards, the average girl in many nightclubs (for instance, roxy jr., b1, but excluding vibe/partyroom/room 18 which have some hotties) is fucking butt ugly, honestly 1 in maybe 50 girls at the university I went to in taiwan were attractive, where as maybe 1 in 4 of the chinese girls in los angeles are damn good looking. Do they not make as much effort to look good in taiwan? whats the deal? I think any taiwanese with money dont actually live in taiwan. I almost never saw kids in their 20’s driving around in brand new mercedes etc wearing designer clothes whereas you see that shit all the time in LA, vancouver, etc.

It has more to do with diet than genetics. People of Chinese origin living in NA have access to better and healthier food. Milk does a body good.

Huh; All the pretty Taiwanese girls married American G.I.s back in the fifties, sixties, and seventies so they could go to the land of the big BX. Taiwan was pretty grim back then. You younguns have no idea! Anyway, our kids are just better looking.

Taiwan is nothing compared to the Philippines in that area. I’ve seen the statistic that nearly half of all the G.I.'s stationed over there came back home with Filipina brides. I’d wager that nearly every immigrant from the Philippines in the U.S. of A. came over that way - marry off your sister to an American and then you’ve got a loophole to sneak the rest of your family in.

I think it might be the diet thing. Honestly, most of the taiwanese women at my university I had met prior to my trip were quite striking, i was in shock at the bombardment of mingers I encountered in their homeland. I dont think women should be the main point of a trip, but for the young and restless like myself its a pretty important aspect.