So how do you market your website...?

well, I’ve been working on about 4 different websites, really over the last few months. Some are more mature than others… but all of them are looking up…!

I’ve had successful websites before, but I was wondering

what are some of the ways to get your website out in front of people?

1. good content is one

can anyone add to my list?

2…

get other sites to link to them. can you create a community, even of knowledge?

[quote=“KenTaiwan98”]well, I’ve been working on about 4 different websites, really over the last few months. Some are more mature than others… but all of them are looking up…!

I’ve had successful websites before, but I was wondering

what are some of the ways to get your website out in front of people?

1. good content is one

can anyone add to my list?

2…[/quote]

It depends what you mean by in front of people, I am presuming you are meaning traffic.

A good start is getting others to link to you, you should also take the time to submit to DMOZ.org, it will take time to get listed but there is value in the listing. Don’t waste your time submitting to the 1,000 of sites out there they generally will not bring you any traffic.

With links from other sites you should fine search engines will find you and within a few months you will get listed. Optimizing pages so that you will rank high for your key phrases will help bring the right traffic, but that is a whole other topic in itself. Doing just the basics will make a massive difference.

Simple stuff like adding a link & info in your sig will also help to promote your site as well as provide valueable backward links.

If you are providing a service relevant to only a specific location then word of mouth is a powerful tool. However this only really works well if your user base has a desire or need and you fulfil that… ala Forumosa… a flyer can help or even purchasing ad space in an email newsletter that is sent to your target market.

The toughest part is building up critical mass, if you have a huge budget then you can advertise on a high profile site. With a smaller budget some would suggest Google Adwords or Overture paid inclusion, however these can often cost a lot without great results, it really depends on the product/service.

Something that often helps is offering something of value (even percieved value) for free, prizes for posting, joining as a member, etc. can coax people to contribute…

If your sites are content driven sites and you are creating a lot of original content you could even consider offering free syndicated content feeds, this helps get your message out as well as increasing the number of quality links back to your site.

Something I had shared in the past with a client:

There are paid efforts and organic efforts to generate traffic - paid generally involves purchasing ads in a number of different media.

Paid Web Site Market

Paid Web site marketing has the advantage of driving traffic immediately to your Web site. This is great for launching a site, or for a special promotion.

Paid options include (but are not limited to):

the web is still young. look at the people really thinking ahead like John Doerr.