So, I'm not a white teacher!

I think my school is trying to cut down on my exposure in our public events. Comparing to all of the other foriegn teachers I work with, I have never been asked to host our shows or contests (where we parade our frightened english learners on stage for their parents), nor have I seen my picture in the reception area more than once (the others have had many), and I was the only FT who failed to appear in our bi-annual magazine! Coincedence? On top of that, I have kindly been told that I no longer need to work during our final round of the speech contest (the grand hupla where all the parents show up with their digital cameras).

My school likes having me work for them, they give me lots of hours, but why are they so damn worried about “what the parents might think”?

Anyone else out there feel like they’re being shafted? (Not that I’m out to change the english school business culture here)

Frankly, I’d be happy they were leaving me alone.

Isn’t the entire “business” based upon what the parent’s might think?

You should be thinking: Finally! Discrimination is working in my favor!

Supercurl,

You didn’t really say enough for me to understand why they are discriminating against you. In any case, unfairness is never pleasant and you seem to be on the receiving end of it this time. You have every reason to be questioning it and irritated by it.

But, the other posters probably gave more realistic solutions. Hope it improves.

Seeker4

May I ask if your school is a chain or a privately owned?

SuperCurl.

I don’t know if you’ve already seen this thread, but it contains some info about why this sort of thing happens…

[url]Are Asian-Americans at a disadvantage?

Of course, it sucks.

Unfortunately, the parents pay the bills. Everything is about “what the parents might think”.

Agreed! :laughing:

I don’t know how one could feel good about any sort of discrimination that occurs in any manner. Why should the OP feel relieved because the school doesn’t include them in the activities? The OP puts energy and time in making sure that lessons are planned and that the kids are happy, and not to be considered or treated as a person who does make a positive contribution(i.e. the parents are continuing to $) then that is an insult. And it also sends a strong and subtle message to the kids and other coworkers that this worker is not someone to be valued or treated with a level of respect that the OP’s coworkers are receiving. Might be trival to some because it can be troublesome to have to deal with those projects. But the OP didn’t travel over several thousand miles to work in such an atmosphere.

I thik that this is very ironic.

I mean Taiwanese parents/employers discriminating AGAINST people of East Asian decent. However… when money is the only thing you care about, that’s what happens.

[quote=“irishstu”]I thik that this is very ironic.

I mean Taiwanese parents/employers discriminating AGAINST people of East Asian decent. However… when money is the only thing you care about, that’s what happens.[/quote]

The OP never meantions their race :s

OK. I’m assuming, but it’s true nevertheless.

Interesting question: if your race nets you advantages, even though it’s clearly discrimination, do you get upset? For example, do any non-Chinese people get angry when the cops let them out of a traffic ticket because of their race?

The others advise you to see the silver lining. Racism in the Taiwanese is very obvious and nauseating to many Westerners, but the Taiwanese assume it is acceptable. I seriously doubt that they think they are doing you a favor, however. It is an insult, and although some people support ‘going with the flow,’ this pathetic form of accomodation only means it will happen again and again. I would inform them how I felt insulted and THEN enjoy the benefits of not coming in for parent night, etc. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t know how one could feel good about any sort of discrimination that occurs in any manner.[/quote]
#1- Everyone discriminates. The term discrimination has become an ugly word that connotes unfairness and ignorance. In most cases, racial discrimination is unfair and based on ignorance. But not all discrimination is based on gender, race, or sexual preference and sometimes it is quite fair and not at all ignorant.

You have to look at why the discrimination is happening and if the discrimination is based on legitimate criteria or due to a generalization. Take racial discrimination: Is it because a person is a certain race and an erroneous belief that one race is more capable than other (or perhaps a personal like or dislike of that race)? If so than this discrimination is bad whether it works in your favor or not. But then, is it because one race really is better suited for a particular purpose (such as appealing to other members of the same race)? If you are targetting the Latino demographic then featuring a Latino rather than another race makes sense. It is discriminatory, but it is a legitimate discrimination.

In this case, if the school believes there is a trend where people of a certain race would be less appealing to their customer base, I think there is a basis to claim that the discrimination is valid. The parents’ discrimination is out of ignorance and is unfair, but you can’t hold the school responsible for the shortcomings of their clients.

#2- My statement was mostly in gest, but there is a small point to it.

First, it’s a credit to the OP that he/she wants to be involved. And if the teacher wants to be in it for the “fame and glory”, well, fair enough.

But since they haven’t been asked to participate might as well look at it on the positive side: Yeah! I don’t have to work!

Anything wrong with looking at the bright side of things?

I don’t think it is intended as an insult at all. You don’t have to feel insulted, and how exactly does feeling insulted make the world a better place or even make your life any better?

Instead of being insulted all the time whether other intended it or not, why not be above letting it affect you? Let their ignorance and stupidity affect their happiness, not yours.

That doesn’t mean you have to go along with it, or that you can’t try to address the problem in a meaningful way. But why let it bother you when you can enjoy yourself?

Would be nice if that could do some good, but there’s no NAACP in Taiwan to make such a comment meaningful. You really need an organization like that to make a comment like “I felt discriminated against” resonate with the management-- due to fear of a civil suit.

Anyway, the school isn’t the problem. It’s the parents and Taiwanese culture in general. Perhaps there needs to be an effort made towards getting Taiwan media to portray non-white teachers as competent so that those of Asian descent or whatever the OP’s race is in this case can be welcomed by parents.

Best post so far on the thread.

And no, this is not a wise crack on her spelling.

(I am not an english teacher)

[quote=“puiwaihin”]

#1- Everyone discriminates. [/quote] Nope not I… I just have discriminating taste. :wink:

[quote]
You have to look at why the discrimination is happening and if the discrimination is based on legitimate criteria or due to a generalization. Take racial discrimination: Is it because a person is a certain race and an erroneous belief that one race is more capable than other (or perhaps a personal like or dislike of that race)? If so than this discrimination is bad whether it works in your favor or not. But then, is it because one race really is better suited for a particular purpose (such as appealing to other members of the same race)? If you are targetting the Latino demographic then featuring a Latino rather than another race makes sense. It is discriminatory, but it is a legitimate discrimination.

In this case, if the school believes there is a trend where people of a certain race would be less appealing to their customer base, I think there is a basis to claim that the discrimination is valid. The parents’ discrimination is out of ignorance and is unfair, but you can’t hold the school responsible for the shortcomings of their clients.
[/quote] Thank you for the informative -err information. You don’t get out much do you?

he also said:

[quote]
Would be nice if that could do some good, but there’s no NAACP in Taiwan to make such a comment meaningful. You really need an organization like that to make a comment like “I felt discriminated against” resonate with the management-- due to fear of a civil suit. [/quote] I think you mean to say there’s no EEOC here to deal with them…

Best post so far on the thread.

And no, this is not a wise crack on her spelling.

(I am not an English teacher)[/quote]

Ahhh the speeling thing, that’s why I’m not an Engulish teacher either :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for the input people. I’ve read all your responses, and agree with much of what you’re saying. As for the “be thankful for being relieved of these extra duties” part, I am, but I could have had that by choosing not to work that particular day.

This doesn’t relate. The business of english schools bases itself on having native english language speakers (discriminately from North America). Well, that’s where I’m from. The problem is, schools like my own are too afraid (for economic reasons) to reveal that North America is quite multicultural/racial, and the parents (who know North America is multicultural/racial) become too afraid to acknowledge it. It creates a misrepresentation, and an unfair bias.