So is Taiwan a Developed country or not?

Yah Dutch are awesome in biotechnology and biological sciences no argument there. Their countryside is very boring though. The nanny state is my number one hate about the UK by a long way.
UK is also an amazing country as far as science goes. If you take the size of the UK into the equation then the UK is probably the most successful country for scientific achievement in the world. However many underate Taiwan’s scientific human resource. There are some very creative people here but probably not the muppets most people teach English to everyday lol :thumbsup:

I’m sure there are some very creative people over there in Europe, but probably not the muppets who come here to teach English everyday lol :wink:

No to the contrary they are doing something more unusual with their lives (well in the old days for sure). Most English teachers I have come across in Taiwan have been very creative even the grammar nazis are more creative than the average student. So your logic does not follow and is not creative :roflmao:

Huh? ALL our household bills are paid direct via standing order, from electricity to cellphone. Have been for years.

Well, I guess debating endlessly about why “Taiwan UP” is the biggest mistake ever made in history is also a sign of creativity for you. In that case, I’d agree with you. :smiley:

Huh? ALL our household bills are paid direct via standing order, from electricity to cellphone. Have been for years.[/quote]

Good Heavens, I’ve had my stuff paid automatically -bank account- for years. Otherwise, I’d forget all the time.

Or 7-11. Example: Cable sent me a bill for one month only. I called them and told them I want to pay for one year. They give me a number, I go to 7-11 E-Bon machine, print a form or pay directly, no biggie.

[quote=“fenlander”][quote=“GC Rider”][quote]
There are some very creative people here but probably not the muppets most people teach English to everyday lol
[/quote]

I’m sure there are some very creative people over there in Europe, but probably not the muppets who come here to teach English everyday lol :wink:[/quote]

No to the contrary they are doing something more unusual with their lives (well in the old days for sure). Most English teachers I have come across in Taiwan have been very creative even the grammar nazis are more creative than the average student. So your logic does not follow and is not creative :roflmao:[/quote]

I agree – many of the people who come here to teach English are among the most creative people I’ve ever met.

This is a daft Q! Can’t believe it’s still going on.

My personal feelings are that the UK is a much easier and nicer place to live in many ways (which is why I live here), especially for a Brit, but Taiwan has lots of cool stuff that I miss a lot and is also a good place to live.

Now I’m back, loads of things are better and loads of things are worse. You can’t objectively say which is more X because there are so many factors that different eoplefind important or not important.

Taiwan has few citizens under the poverty line
Taiwan has a first-world level economy
Taiwan has very low unemployment
Taiwan has low crime rates
Taiwan has a full police, fire and ambulance service
Taiwan has universal healthcare with modern, efficient medical facilities
Taiwan has all basic human requirements such as clean water, access to food and shelter

Why are we even having this horseshit conversation?

Because it’s missing a lot of other stuff?

Political transparency and a commitment to a sustainable, environmental would help a lot.

But as I said before; few places have everything.

Why compare Taiwan to countries like the US/UK/EU? they’re not the same

Taiwan is slowly coming around to the other areas the last poster mentioned, but while economies and even infrastructure can develop almost overnight, people take longer to change and when we just came out of a martial law there’s always going to be a period where people are afraid of too much law and some people will indeed try to take advantage of that.

How about try comparing Taiwan to countries like Thailand (which Americans often get it mixed up), Cambodia, Ethiopia, Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia (which has first world infrastructure but third world human right/government), Egypt, etc?

I must mention though that many of the above mentioned countries don’t even have running water to most households, and certainly not electricity that works 24/7

Why compare anywhere or anything? People need to validate their choices in order to avoid cognitive dissonance. Nothing to ‘debate’, shurely?

Whenever I hear the words sustainable and environment in one sentence I wanna barf.

Take a shower instead.

why?

Changes in the horizon are closer than they appear:

EDIT:

Also leaving thsi here for reference:

1 Like

I heard a news blurb that Taiwan is now a developed country. So waiting for more information to hit the streets.

I bet that term “country” really angers China. Wonder how they’re going to try and get the WTO to change what’s a universally known and used term for many years.

That’s a strategic move. WTO doesn’t classify countries as developed or developing, the countries announce it themselves. Korea, Singapore, Israel and Taiwan call ourselves developing to take advantages of the benefits. It makes no sense to call Italy and Spain developed and the four I just mentioned developing.

1 Like

And it doesn’t classify Tainan as a country either.

2 Likes

Well sure, since when is Tainan a country?

1 Like