So it's not gonna happen my way

I’ve been meditating on this for quite some time. I’ve always deeply desired to have one particular career, but it seems like that fear has kept me from doing it. As I attempted to figure out what direction/plans to make to make it happen, I couldn’t “see” how to do it.

Enter the plan to go to grad school and become a teacher. Becoming an offical teacher was something I desiped doing, and ‘felt’ was beneath me. Perhaps, it was a bit of rebellion on my part since both of my parents were in the profession. Neither one, impressed upon me that I had to become one. Yet neither one supported my ideal career. So be it. Now it’s clear to me that this is perhaps what was intended for my life. As things are opening up for me as I look in this direction.

I’m a tad disappointed. Since I’m a believer in God’s will, and doing His will, I’m a bit pissed off with him also :wink: (childish rant). Also, afraid that I am settling for something or will never have a chance to see my “real” dreams come true.

Anyone else have this situation? How did it turn out for you?
Serious replies/posts. I’m interested in hearing about other life expriences. Thanks

Namahottie

I was always going to be a lawyer, until I got lazy in highschool and didn;t get the grades. Then I was going to work in the money markets until i spent a day in one of them and was told by one and all that my personality was not suitable. I did a degree in Accountancy because dad bought me a car as a bribe (very cheap car before anyone gets upset by this) and ended up going into banking, which was my father’s career for 20 odd years.

Through various twists of fate and fortune I now work in Life Insurance, in a seles management role, which is about as far from my ambition and training could take me as I could reasonably expect. I suspect that I am not yet done as I am in the process of trying to set up a food franchise amongst other projects and strongly hope to develop my entrepreneurial leanings.

I guess the message I am trying to impart is that you do not always know where life s leading you, but if you live every opportunity to the full you will have an interesting and hopefully enjoyable life…I know I am.

I always wanted to be a lumberjack.

Maybe I’ll find happiness in food service one day… even a fruit vendor somewhere selling pomelos, jackfruit, lychees and sugar cane juice… But before getting to this end game…

Got my taste of what’d it be like to be a corporate slut out of college. Thought I’d want to whore my way up the ladder to be a C-level exec one day. Then realized my “I speak the truth” tendencies will not only set me free but also set my corporate career back to the dark ages. Left it, took a wrong turn being the devil’s advocate, then got saved and got back to the corporate world and discovered what I really enjoy doing. Been doing it ever since. Then took another zag and back onto the corporate whoring life but within the confines of what I like to do. In a way, I’ve gotten to where I wanted to be after college but not exactly the way I imagined nor necessarily desired to be 100% at this point in time. A lot of bumps, some real highs, some real lows. All’s well that ends well. Life’s funny that way, it all works itself out.

I think I may need to head over to Richardm’s Sunday confession room :rainbow:

This shouldn’t be in the temp forum, but who am I to question the will of the gods? Or did Nama put it here 'cos she thought it wasn’t important? Wrong, babe, way wrong. There really isn’t much more important in the world than what we do with our lives.

Three questions:

1. Is the career you believe you want acutally what you think it is?
  2. Have you really got what it takes to do it, or are you just in fantasy land?
  3. If you have what it takes then what’s stopping you?

Speaking personally, I have to admit that I spent my high-school years believing that my career was pretty much mapped out. Not only was I wrong about whether I was up to the job, I also came to realise that I actually knew very little about what was expected of me in the job (which may be why I wasn’t prepared for the challenges). Looking back, I’m happy that things didn’t work out as planned. It wasn’t what I really wanted.

Since then, especially whenever the subject of ‘self-improvement’ comes up I have found myself questioning the belief that we can all be whatever we can dream. There’s a huge industry built around encouraging people to believe they can do better than they can in reality. It’s good to be positive about yourself, because nobody else will if you don’t, but in examining what’s holding you back it’s important to acknowledge limitations that may be insurmountable.

I don’t know what Nama’s dream job is and can’t comment on her suitability for it, this is just a general observation.

Prince Charles got into trouble a while back for airing similar views.

[quote]Remarks by the heir to the throne were published during an employment tribunal involving former staff member Elaine Day.

Miss Day had complained to the Prince about prospects for her promotion.

The Prince responded with a handwritten note saying: "What is wrong with everybody nowadays?

“What is it that makes everyone seem to think they are qualified to do things far beyond their technical capabilities?”

He goes on to blame the “learning culture in schools” and a “child-centred system which admits no failure” and tells people they can achieve greatness without “putting in the necessary effort or having the natural abilities”. [/quote]

He clarified his comments later in a speech.

[quote]“For the last 30 years, I have done all I can to give young people who have limited opportunities, usually through no fault of their own, a chance to succeed.”

“Often all that is needed is the right help at the right time for them to make the most of [their God-given ability],” he said.

“What these young people have in common is not just a natural talent, but the determination to succeed through hard work. That is the combination that breaks down the barriers to success.”

"Not everyone has the same talents or abilities, but everyone, with the right nurturing, can make a real difference to their communities and to the country.

"Ambition is a good thing and should never be constrained by a person’s starting point in life and people must be encouraged to fulfil their aspirations in ways that recognise their different abilities and talents." [/quote]

I’d also like to add, that imagining the end game can help one get there, even if one doesn’t know how much zigging and zagging you’re going to do. But it’s imperative that imaging that end game is crucial to getting there, wherever and whatever there is.

Namahottie I can’t help you on the larger question but could I perhaps suggest, er, grammar lessons. :blush: I am assuming you are thinking about studying to be an English teacher right?

What fear?

You despised doing? How could you have despised doing it if you never did it?

Why put a comma between “neither one” and “impressed”?

Why is this two sentences?

Please don’t come back and say that those mistakes happened only because you were not being careful. Half drunk, three quarters asleep and typing with my dick while picking the snot out of my ears I wouldn’t write like that.

Sorry but…

My parents wanted me to become a lawyer or anything that had a good salary and health benefits.

I wanted to be a shrink…but I wasn’t one of the 6 people (out of 340) that were chosen to study my honors degree.

So I became a bargirl, and manager of a 24 hour coffeeshop…which I LOVED.

So I moved to Taiwan to save money to open my own 24 hour coffeeshop…

Found out that I’m a brilliant teacher…

now…6 years later…I’m still a teacher, but dying to be a locksmith.

what does it all mean…

I hope this doesn’t offend but as a non-believer in god I do not believe in ‘his will’ either. To me it’s just an attempt to explain if not excuse things, regardless if it’s a failure on your part (generally speaking) or because of external factors over which we have no control (maybe other reasons).
In any case if you really want to do whatever it is you want to do then it’s up to you, not to god’s will nor anyone’s else opinion. Like Loretta said, if you think you have what it takes - go for it and pursue your dreams. Just meditating or contemplating about it won’t change it and may eventually prevent you from making your dream come true.

I would take an English teacher who emphasized substance over style any day. (Except Sunday.)
Good luck Namahottie. If you decide to be a lion tamer, ease into it. Through banking maybe.

bob is a barking git and should be fucking castrated. Sorry namahottie. :blush:

I wanted to be… a lumberjack!

Leaping from tree to tree, as they float down the mighty rivers of British Columbia. The Giant Redwood. The Larch. The Fir! The mighty Scots Pine! The lofty flowering Cherry! The plucky little Apsen! The limping Roo tree of Nigeria. The towering Wattle of Aldershot! The Maidenhead Weeping Water Plant! The naughty Leicestershire Flashing Oak! The flatulent Elm of West Ruislip! The Quercus Maximus Bamber Gascoigni! The Epigillus! The Barter Hughius Greenus!

With my best buddy by my side, we’d sing! Sing! Sing!

I’m a lumberjack, and I’m okay.
I sleep all night and I work all day.

He’s a lumberjack, and he’s okay.
He sleeps all night and he works all day.

I cut down trees. I eat my lunch.
I go to the lavatory.
On Wednesdays I go shoppin’
And have buttered scones for tea.

He cuts down trees. He eats his lunch.
He goes to the lavatory.
On Wednesdays he goes shopping
And has buttered scones for tea.

I cut down trees. I skip and jump.
I like to press wild flowers.
I put on women’s clothing
And hang around in bars.

He cuts down trees. He skips and jumps.
He likes to press wild flowers.
He puts on women’s clothing
And hangs around in bars?!

I cut down trees. I wear high heels,
Suspendies, and a bra.
I wish I’d been a girlie,
Just like my dear Papa.

He cuts down trees. He wears high heels,
Suspendies, and a bra?!

What’s this? Wants to be a girlie?! Oh, My!
And I thought you were so rugged! Poofter!..

He’s a lumberjack, and he’s okaaaaay.

Good grief, wait till you have a few kids.

Don’t get me wrong, kids are great, but they sure can be a spanner in the works of a single-person’s mindest. An endless series of variables to consider in every decision that one makes about one’s life.

Carry on, soljerz!
Keep on keeping on, it’s all about the gettin there… :grandpa:

My dream was to become an archaeologist, until I realized after uni just how poor I would be working in the field unless I went on to do a PhD and publish a zillion books (should have listened to Mom and Dad, they always know better than a naive 21 year old! :laughing:) …

The beauty of teaching is that I can enjoy going on volunteer summer digs during my holidays. I can have the best of both worlds, even though it has become a hobby rather than a career.

I plan on doing lots of international volunteer stuff during my holidays in years to come, and am really looking forward to it!

Your not alone Nama.
I want to be free, to do what I love. I want to enjoy my work. But…I still havent figured what that work is. I career councilled people for a while ( I had minimal training and it was volunteer work) but the whole time, oddly enough, I was able to help a lot of people but not myself. I just dont know what would make me most happy. :idunno:
And how can I use it to financially contribute to my family with it.
No money in art…at least not at my level. Not much in opinions either. :frowning: :idunno:

From the age of 4, I knew I was going to be a lawyer. Not my dream, not my goal. Just fact. I planned and worked towards that (self study in middle and high school) my whole childhood-youth with out question. It is the only thing I have ever wanted to do, and knew I was meant for it. The year I went to university (I still do not know why or what happened) my confidence shattered, I lost all direction, I was no longer sure. Yes it was really the only thing that REALLY appealed to me, but I didn’t KNOW anymore. I’ve been lost ever since. It’s still the only thing that really calls to me and I have considered going back to school for it… but … :idunno: obviously not enough…

Thanks Bob for the apology. As you should know by now my grammar and speeling(joke) is horrible. I will never ever be able to take Imaniou’s esteemed position. :notworthy:

So, you must settle for my writing style that is ‘off the cuff’ and just more conversational. :unamused: :raspberry: :smiley: :wink:

Anyway, I put this in the temp forum. Why I don’t know. I just did. Now, I see it’s in the open forum as some God like Mod thought it was worthy of being there. Thanks.

Loretta, that end quote from Prince Charles was absolutely brilliant. I plan on printing that out and placing that somewhere I can see it. Thanks for sharing that.

I am loving all the post here, as they are all very good. Very good. I’m gonna just keep reading then when inspired I will give more comments. Rascal, good comment on God.

Thanks Guys.

The longer I think about the whole question of what I am supposed to be “doing with my life” the more I come to the conclusion that it doesn’t matter that much. It is like Carlos Castenada said “All paths lead to the same place. Nowhere.” Just chose a general direction that seems to have a good heart and then relax and let yourself be carried up in the stream of things. You are here, you have a basic fluency in Chinese, a background in film studies. You have a job. Things will happen if you just stay aware of the possibilities.

I’ve always wanted to work in a hotel, or do something where there are more interaction for my job. Yet, I study accounting in college and ended up working in the field. I don’t really get to travel or work with other much since there isnt much interaction for accountant, unless you work in a public firm.

But now maybe its a good time for me to make a change and/or pursuit my dream…

It is never too late to do anything you wanted to do or what your hearts tell you to do. We are still young and I think life is too short to work as a profession where you are not going to enjoy it ,right?! :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Namahottie”]I’ve been meditating on this for quite some time. I’ve always deeply desired to have one particular career, but it seems like that fear has kept me from doing it. As I attempted to figure out what direction/plans to make to make it happen, I couldn’t “see” how to do it.

Enter the plan to go to grad school and become a teacher. Becoming an offical teacher was something I desiped doing, and ‘felt’ was beneath me. Perhaps, it was a bit of rebellion on my part since both of my parents were in the profession. Neither one, impressed upon me that I had to become one. Yet neither one supported my ideal career. So be it. Now it’s clear to me that this is perhaps what was intended for my life. As things are opening up for me as I look in this direction.

I’m a tad disappointed. Since I’m a believer in God’s will, and doing His will, I’m a bit pissed off with him also :wink: (childish rant). Also, afraid that I am settling for something or will never have a chance to see my “real” dreams come true.

Anyone else have this situation? How did it turn out for you?
Serious replies/posts. I’m interested in hearing about other life expriences. Thanks[/quote]

I’m curious… why the dissapointment? Teaching it would seem to me is a much more ‘valuable’ and worthwhile profession than say, selling more cornflakes, or making wealthy people wealthier.

What is your “real” dream? Your post got me to thinking…Sometimes it takes a circular route to get where we want to be. Sometimes it takes those experiences to know where we want to be. Some people know exactly what they want to do from day one and do it. At times I envy these people for their certainty. But, I also can’t help but feel that they somehow missed some stage of self-examination - how do they know for sure since they’ve tried nothing else? Is your ‘fear’ the understanding that maybe your ideal career is not so ideal for you?

I’m a big believer that planning is more important than the plan itself. As long as you are moving forward, don’t worry.