So long Taiwan

[quote=“AWOL”]How do I know all this - I was one.

Rant over.[/quote]

I was told that by an assistant to Joe Clark. He said many left after four or five years for positions with international development organizations or to deal with development issues for multinationals, consulting firms etc.

Just out of curiosity, why did you leave? Was it DFAIT you worked for?

Most people I started with in Taiwan did more than four years some without a break. The more sensible ones took several moths out then returned (sensible?, who knows). I’ve done the same a few times now.

Good luck mate. Just make sure you buckle up when the yo-yo string tightens. (The one attached to all foreigners who leave Taiwan).

Good riddance.

I’m kidding! Have a safe trip back and good luck in your studies.

Peace.

[quote=“Chewycorns”][quote=“AWOL”]How do I know all this - I was one.

Rant over.[/quote]

I was told that by an assistant to Joe Clark. He said many left after four or five years for positions with international development organizations or to deal with development issues for multinationals, consulting firms etc.

Just out of curiosity, why did you leave? Was it DFAIT you worked for?[/quote]

[color=green]Not Dave Hoff, was it?

Good luck Grasshopper. I guess you finally snatched the pebble from his hand.[/color]

worked for another country’s foreign affairs agency.

if i were you i would go back and study and intern with an MNC and try and hook a job that way. foreign affairs service kills people… i found my time in foreign affairs horrible, esp. in taiwan and working for a home govt that drove one china policy throughout the organisation and its staff. pro-taiwan people are not tolerated and have careers ruined if ‘outed’ as anything other than pro-china.

its a nasty little world. full of conflict and hypocrisy.

Grasshopper,

You should take this bloke’s advice…stay away from DFAIT

Grasshopper,

We have always shared something in common- our handles. When I first posted on forumosa (in the days of oriented) I posted as grasshopper, but owing to a glitch in the system I could never log on under that name again.

Good luck back home. Getting out while you still can is always a good move, but staying out is the hard part.

Fare thee well, Grasshopper.

Best Wishes!!! Going home is always a good thing, don’t ya think?!!

You can always come back to Taiwan, of course!!!

Come back and post!

[quote=“plasmatron”]I always vowed that on my last day in Taiwan, I’d buy the cheapest trashed out old car a small a small amount of money could buy and drive all the way to the airport smashing into assholes that edge their car’s nose out into traffic, people doing stupid U-turns, people triple parked etc. etc. then just park it in the airport parking lot, get on the plane and forget about it… :smiley: you may want to consider this option…

all the best![/quote]

thats a perfect plan, followed by your airplane crashing and your family back home wiped out by a few serial murderer or two. Hopefully hateful dipshits like you and your family can be wiped out from the face of the Earth. The sooner the better.

[quote=“YJaeger”][quote=“plasmatron”]I always vowed that on my last day in Taiwan, I’d buy the cheapest trashed out old car a small a small amount of money could buy and drive all the way to the airport smashing into assholes that edge their car’s nose out into traffic, people doing stupid U-turns, people triple parked etc. etc. then just park it in the airport parking lot, get on the plane and forget about it… :smiley: you may want to consider this option…

all the best![/quote]

thats a perfect plan, followed by your airplane crashing and your family back home wiped out by a few serial murderer or two. Hopefully hateful dipshits like you and your family can be wiped out from the face of the Earth. The sooner the better.[/quote]

Sheesh, YJaegar you need to get a sense of humour. I thought Plasmatrons
idea was a good one sort of like bumper cars to the airport.

[quote=“panda”][quote=“YJaeger”][quote=“plasmatron”]I always vowed that on my last day in Taiwan, I’d buy the cheapest trashed out old car a small a small amount of money could buy and drive all the way to the airport smashing into assholes that edge their car’s nose out into traffic, people doing stupid U-turns, people triple parked etc. etc. then just park it in the airport parking lot, get on the plane and forget about it… :smiley: you may want to consider this option…

all the best![/quote]

thats a perfect plan, followed by your airplane crashing and your family back home wiped out by a few serial murderer or two. Hopefully hateful dipshits like you and your family can be wiped out from the face of the Earth. The sooner the better.[/quote]

Sheesh, YJaegar you need to get a sense of humour. I thought Plasmatrons
idea was a good one sort of like bumper cars to the airport.[/quote]
Agree with Panda. Thinking it and doing it are two separate things. I laughed at the witty tongue-in-cheek comments. Anyone who’s driven here for any length of time can either identify at least a bit with Plasmatron’s departure scenario or else must be a direct descendant of the Buddha himself. Best of luck Grasshopper.

“Peircing wind, freezing river of Yi. The hero fords, and he never returns!”

So long.

Before you go, find that guy who was obnoxiously hitting on your girlfriend in a club, kick him in the balls and throw sand in his face and punch his lights out in the confusion, and then run all the way to the airport before he can recover.