So Ma Yingjiu supports simplified characters for Taiwan?

Apple Daily page A9…

「馬英九要台灣人漸漸變中國人!」

tw.nextmedia.com/applenews/artic … D/20090610

Has this man completely lost his marbles???

I mean, we already have a street name romanisation system that no-one understands, now we have to use simplified characters?

I suppose the next step is IC ID cards and handing over the whole database to the PSB.

And how can it be possible that I find myself agreeing with someone from the DPP!!!

What is going on???

It all became very clear the other day when Taiwan withdrew it’s UN bid, and China and the US got exactly what they had planned. Something that started with CSB being thrown in jail.

Remember this came from the same source as the millionaire scam of naming the streets Avenue 1, Street 2, Alley 4… Remember that one?

“也就是要認識正體字,但書寫可以寫簡體字,印刷體盡量用正體字,這樣才能與中華文化的古籍接軌”

His idea seems to be using simplified characters in writing only–something that is more or less already done anyway. Looks like sneaking official status for the simplified characters in the back door?

I hardly ever write characters any more, it’s all typing these days.

I think we should all use them when talking, but not writing.

Sinicisation by the back door is, unfortunately, just the same as Sinicisation by the front.

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]“也就是要認識正體字,但書寫可以寫簡體字,印刷體盡量用正體字,這樣才能與中華文化的古籍接軌”

His idea seems to be using simplified characters in writing only–something that is more or less already done anyway. Looks like sneaking official status for the simplified characters in the back door?[/quote]

Can you use simplified in speaking?

I think he means handwriting as opposed to printed matter.

[quote=“Belgian Pie”][quote=“Tempo Gain”]“也就是要認識正體字,但書寫可以寫簡體字,印刷體盡量用正體字,這樣才能與中華文化的古籍接軌”

His idea seems to be using simplified characters in writing only–something that is more or less already done anyway. Looks like sneaking official status for the simplified characters in the back door?[/quote]

Can you use simplified in speaking?[/quote]

sure just change /uh/ sounds to /ar/ sounds

or maybe I’ve just preempted the next step :sunglasses:

I guess with the new “reciprocality” the mainlanders will also add bopmofo to otheir kids books to increase supply in the “domestic market” or something?

Yes thanks, that quote I posted above says that the traditional characters would still be used in printing, with the simplified available for handwriting.

Maybe he wants to learn it himself … needed when he gets this fantastic government job after uniting … maybe he’s going to run for President of the United China … he qualifies, being born in HK or China … :roflmao:

He’s been shafted by the media and opposition opportunists. What he meant (very obviously) is that the peasants in China should be learning traditional Chinese in addition to simplified.
His meaning was twisted by the “reporters” – think about it. Why the hell would he say such a thing? There’s no logic to it – most people in Taiwan can already fairly easily decipher simplified, while there are huge numbers in China who can’t fathom traditional.

The farce continues. TVBS this morning broadcasting footage of teenage state-school students being taught simplified characters. Presumably their Chinese and English are at such a high level that they can spend class time farting around with simplified characters?

It takes about two hours for someone familiar with traditional characters to “learn” simplified. What’s the big deal? Cursive script has been around since writing in Chinese began, so talk of “handwriting” is irrelevant. The media would have us believe there are millions of Tai Shang running around China in various states of helplessness because they “can’t read simplified characters”.

What exactly is Ma on? This is like Gerry Adams coming out and saying the IRA are going to abandon the Irish language and take up Morris Dancing.

What’s the back story? Did the PLA arrive on Tuesday without telling anyone? Should I get out my red flag and start singing Dong Fang Hong? This all coming years after China abandoning the advertising restrictions on traditional characters and long-form becoming more popular in China. What’s next? China reverts to long-form and Taiwan uses short-form characters?

(Notice the fuckers still don’t want to use Hanyu Pinyin!!! Who bets Dai Uann will invent its own, special, Taiwanese simplified characters that nobody in the world can read?)

So is it left to Hong Kong, that bastion of culture, the home of 誰對我好就靠誰主義,to man the barricades against the juggernaut that is the CCP’s National Language Unification Policy? God help us.

[quote=“sandman”]He’s been shafted by the media and opposition opportunists. What he meant (very obviously) is that the peasants in China should be learning traditional Chinese in addition to simplified.
His meaning was twisted by the “reporters” – think about it. Why the hell would he say such a thing? There’s no logic to it – most people in Taiwan can already fairly easily decipher simplified, while there are huge numbers in China who can’t fathom traditional.[/quote]

As we say in Spanish, para hablar y comer pescado, hay que tener mucho cuidado. (meanining you have to be very careful with what you say)

It is not the first time he’s being misquoted or his words twisted, but then he goes into forbidden terrain eyes wide closed. There are certain topics that must be explored with outmost caution, and he’s fallen in one of the pits.

Almost like the DPP councilwoman, who was foaming at the mouth about the simplified characters on the Presidentail website… until it was discovered it’s been like that since 2000. Big diolien.

But there is certain rhetoric that has become SOP from the KMT side (and yes, the DPP too) that stuff like “oh, let’s use simplified characters”, though met with opposition, and causing outrage, does not seem out of character.

What’s that catch phrase? Ah yes: “simplified characters for simple people”.

It has made for excellent TV, with the usual DPP suspects shouting their heads off and swearing like troopers. I wonder what today’s important issue will be? Yesterday it was whether judges should have tattoos. Qiu Yi was leading the charge on that one. Perhaps today it will be “should legislators wear wigs?”

It’s certainly interesting – and not without irony – that traditional Chinese characters seem to be on their way to being claimed as a symbol for Taiwanese independence.

Indeed, I don’t remember when I’ve seen DPP legislators going on so long about how precious Chinese culture is. Then again, I never thought I’d see them wrapping themselves in the ROC flag before the Chen Yunlin visit, so anything’s possible.

Indeed, I don’t remember when I’ve seen DPP legislators going on so long about how precious Chinese culture is. Then again, I never thought I’d see them wrapping themselves in the ROC flag before the Chen Yunlin visit, so anything’s possible.[/quote]

At this rate of going, they’ll be pushing for Dutch to be adopted as the official national language.

Indeed, I don’t remember when I’ve seen DPP legislators going on so long about how precious Chinese culture is. Then again, I never thought I’d see them wrapping themselves in the ROC flag before the Chen Yunlin visit, so anything’s possible.[/quote]

DPP legislators and people like me don’t care about Chinese culture. We don’t want to use simplified Chinese because we don’t want to be forced to use what the Chinese are using.

You might think that it’s about protecting Chinese culture, but it’s not. We care about our culture, not Chinese culture. The Chinese can do whatever they want to do in China, but not in Taiwan.