So my contract is weird

There is someone currently in the process of taking legal action against our lovely school but they are fluent in the Chinese so it’s easier for them.

The whole ‘must be there 10 minutes before work’ bit is essentially illegal because it’s unpaid and if it was taken to court, they would have to pay out for every 10 minutes.

I hated working 1:30 until being there until damn near 10pm with grading and paperwork but only being paid for teaching. And at bare minimum rate compared to other schools.

I am back in the US but I plan to come back once I can find a better job opportunity in Kaohsiung and my health doesn’t limit me so much.

Short answer: no.

They can arrange mediation, which means if both parties reach an agreement at the end of the session, that settles the case, and the agreement is enforceable the same way as if it were a court decision. If the parties don’t reach an agreement, nothing happens.

This should not be confused with arbitration, which is a kind of outsourced court process.

As for handing over documents, it’s good manners, but a mediator won’t force them to do it.