So sleepy... nap time

I don’t know any other country or any time in my life where I get so sleepy midday. The most likely answer is because of the hear, but dang when it becomes midday, like around 12:00-3:00, especially right after I finished eating, I am so so sleepy.

So the way of solving this problem is by taking naps! Although I wish I didn’t have to rely on naps so much. Sometimes I go swimming instead, but then afterwards I’m super exhausted.

Anyone else take naps during the day? I feel like I have such a hard life when in reality it’s not a hard life at all…

Maybe I need to just go rejuvinate in the wang ka for a couple of hours instead of sleeping.

Anyhow, going to take a nap now. Hope i don’t snore, I’m in the library after all

I believe nap taking is an essential survival skill here. I love the nap culture. Naps should be promoted more widely in the West. At one of the schools where I’ve worked I used to take a 1.5 to 2 hour nap between my morning and afternoon classes. At another school, a two hour nap in the afternoon was essential for surviving the hectic summer schedule, when I would walk into the school building at 8am and not walk out until just after 10pm.

The siesta urge is in the genes.

If you’re sleepy right after eating, it might be because of what you ate. Too many carbs will make you sleepy. Try to eat less rice or bread at lunch, and more protein. You could also just go native and take a nap. I lived in Asian for 10 years, but was never able to force myself to sleep during the day.

Mexico has the answer. A 4 hour lunch with lots of carbs, a few tequila and a 2 hour nap under a palm next to the beach. A quick swim and back to work. Damn, I miss the place

If I sleep at a desk with my head turned to the side when I wake up I am unable to turn my head back for hours. It looks odd and so I avoid mid-day sleeping unless a I am at home.

I got this hi-low-tech chair, where you rest your weight on your knees and core muscles, rather than on your derriere. It can be adjusted to an almost horizontal position, so you can lay quite flat. Ah! It is great for napping. No more snoring, no more neck crinks, no more drooling on the desk. Problem now is waking up…

You should buy one of those pillows that looks like a donut. You can lie face flat and still breath

Regarding napping, supposedly a good idea from a couple of articles I picked up on:

Where did you buy that?

Oh, one coworker had a similar model. Then one day another coworker found the newest model, and when they came to deliver, several of us bought it from the maker. Let me look for the number…

Mind you, they are not for everyone. If you are too tall, it takes quite a toll on your knees. However, if you type a lot, it practically eliminates the awful neck cramps and shoulder pain.

I like to take naps on my scooter on the side of the road.

Well I hope you all know I did take a nap today in the library. I just hope I wasn’t snoring. Also, someone gave me call and that’s what woke me up. Bummer

[quote=“Rabidpie”]Well I hope you all know I did take a nap today in the library. I just hope I wasn’t snoring. Also, someone gave me call and that’s what woke me up. Bummer[/quote]…which is what every student does at the library. When I was a student, too, it was so annoying to try to find a place to seat and do research/study/etc. because all you could find were tables occupied by sleeping beauties…:taz:

Sigh

I always ended up sitting between rows of books while checking them out. then people would get annoyed at me for obstructing their way. :fume:

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“Rabidpie”]Well I hope you all know I did take a nap today in the library. I just hope I wasn’t snoring. Also, someone gave me call and that’s what woke me up. Bummer[/quote]…which is what every student does at the library. When I was a student, too, it was so annoying to try to find a place to seat and do research/study/etc. because all you could find were tables occupied by sleeping beauties…:taz:

Sigh

I always ended up sitting between rows of books while checking them out. then people would get annoyed at me for obstructing their way. :fume:[/quote]

Lol, I know that feeling. I hate it too when I’m looking for a spot, and I see what I think is a computer avaliable. But in actuallity, there is a little person sleeping there. And then everyone is sleeping instead of doing work and research.

However, right now is Summer time and there is not a single soul around here except for the cleaning lady that for some reason likes to always hide out in the men’s bathroom.

There is so much space right now that even if I took a nap, I don’t think anyone would notice.

This is also a sign of a testosterone deficiency. Might want to get it checked out.

Always thought it is a natural tendency for animals to sleep after eating

Saw an experiment on TV once. One guy ate a salad with loads lean meat for lunch, other guy ate pasta.
Following lunch they had to do some puzzles, answer some questions for a memory test.

The salad guy won.
Next day guys switched and the salad guy won again.
Both occasions the pasta subject looked and acted drowsy and lethargic

Conclusion carbs make you sleepy

This is a very timely post for me, being that I moved back to Vancouver a month ago and have almost given up napping entirely. In Taiwan I was a regular napper, even on weekends and even when I was with my girlfriend. We would both take a nap together in the afternoon and it was lovely.

I took a nap because I was tired, of course. But I found in Taiwan that I needed the nap to ease into evening from afternoon, and provide a division between the two. Sounds stupid when written but that was my thinking. Teaching takes a lot out of you and napping for 30 minutes or so gave me the energy required for most of my evening pursuits. I would even lay down for a nap when I wasn’t particularly tired just from force of habit.

Here in Vancouver I just can’t get into it (napping I mean). I don’t know what the difference is, other than the fact that I’m not teaching. I just don’t feel the need and it’s too bad because sometimes my afternoon naps would give me the wildest, inexplicable dreams I’ve ever had. In addition, I would almost always wake up and do something constructive almost immediately. :loco:

If I nap at lunchtime, I have problems falling asleep at night. Well, not really problems, I just need to stay up an hour or two longer - which I don’t really like. I’d rather go to bed early and get up early.

[quote=“Rabidpie”]I don’t know any other country or any time in my life where I get so sleepy midday. The most likely answer is because of the hear, but dang when it becomes midday, like around 12:00-3:00, especially right after I finished eating, I am so so sleepy.

So the way of solving this problem is by taking naps! Although I wish I didn’t have to rely on naps so much. Sometimes I go swimming instead, but then afterwards I’m super exhausted.

Anyone else take naps during the day? I feel like I have such a hard life when in reality it’s not a hard life at all…

Maybe I need to just go rejuvinate in the wang ka for a couple of hours instead of sleeping.

Anyhow, going to take a nap now. Hope I don’t snore, I’m in the library after all[/quote]

I’d say:

• Check what you eat (have cereals for breakfast and a proper lunch with enough proteins)
  • Drink juice (100% one) or some fresh fruits from time to time
  • Drink some coffee
  • Make some regular sport (i.e. swimming)

works for me! Never had to take naps in 3 years. I hate office naps. They make me even more tired.

I used to have problems with low blood sugar. I usually never eat breakfast, never have. (I know, mom–or dad, I know.) But durring that time, I really had to kind of graze all day. If I just ate a meal–breakfast included, but especially lunch, I’d become extremely tired and would be asleep within 10 minutes. I remember taking my mom out to eat one day and having to get our stuff boxed up after just a few bites because I was affraid I’d not be able to drive back home–less than a 10 minute drive. And I’d sleep for an hour or more and wake up feeling wasted.

Still nap in the afternoons–it’s good for you and makes you a safer driver–but if the urge to sleep is too strong, maybe try not eating a “meal” for a couple weeks–just have healthy snacks every couple of hours. You’ll find that you eat less and are almost never hungry–to the point that having to eat that next snack in another hour–no matter how yummy–is very unappealing and feels like a chore because you’re eating so often. Just in general, this is a very healthy lifestyle.