So some parent complained that I chew gum in my class

Not even interested in my origin story. A simple lad, descended from turnip munchers, stung by a bee, unleashing the awesome power of Johnny SlumpFace. Half man, half squirrel, half bull frog, half biscuit. All action!

1 Like

There is a sign on the door to my language lab, put there by the school, that says No Gum Chewing above another that says No Food or Drink.

Students routinely ignore both, mostly the food and drink one, resulting in my directing them out to the hall to finish their bien dang. I place a small table at the front of the room and tell them all food and drink must be placed there and to enjoy them on break time. I can’t stand it when students bring food into the class. Aside from the often disgusting smell, it is a distraction to the lessons.

Imagine what the bottoms of the chairs and inside the desks would look like if gum was allowed. Gum chewing, to me, creates an air of informality I don’t like in students, never mind in a teacher. Chomping away while trying to demonstrate proper pronunciation doesn’t work in my mind. And I’m not a stuffed shirt, quite the opposite.

How would you feel if your investment advisor was chewing gum during a meeting with you, or your doctor, etc.? Unprofessional in my view. Ever seen someone chewing gum during a TED Talk?

9 Likes

I am dumbfounded by the number of commenters here who don’t seem to think chewing gum is unprofessional while giving a presentation at work in front of a large group.

Wasn’t that covered on the first day in Business 101?

Ok, I guess teachers don’t have to take Business 101. But still, common sense. Even your students know it’s unprofessional. Why do you think they told their parents?

If you’re doing it to quit smoking, then do it during your smoke break when you would otherwise be smoking.

6 Likes

I dislike chewing gum. It hurts my jaw. However, I stick a piece in my mouth and chew vigorously on it for about 90 seconds when the students are doing writing or mingle exercises. Then I spit it into a tissue. I’d never chew gum when I’m talking. It makes talking difficult.
I do it in a vain attempt to make my breath smell fresher, but mostly to moisten my mouth and throat when I’ve been lecturing for a long time. It’s better than sipping water, which I find as repulsive as cilantro, sweet potatoes and rotten tofu.
Man, I fuckin’ hate water.
I don’t see it as some kind of moral issue, though. People who speak with food in their mouths, pick their noses on the MRT, don’t wash their hands properly, fart and burp loudly in public, watch soap operas on their phones at full volume, chomp on binlang, push ahead of you in queues and scream and shout on scenic views, should rethink their double standards.
Glass houses.

Definitely not a moral issue. It’s a professionalism issue. I would say it’s fine to do it quickly to freshen your breath if nobody notices.

1 Like

Some sort of trumped-up morality made it a professionalism issue. Chewing gum is seen by some as unprofessional. Where did that come from? Out of thin air?

Chewing binlang is also considered unprofessional. Where did that come from?

Well, it stinks, is carcinogenic, and rots your mouth. The same reason that you don’t smoke cigarettes in a boardroom meeting or a classroom.
Hardly a moral issue. It’s practical and scientific.
Gum does none of those things.

It’s only relatively recently been found to be carcinogenic, but I’ll buy your other points.

I consider chewing anything in class to be unprofessional. Apparently unreasonably, but I do and so do many others. Perhaps we’re being unfair on teachers who like to chew while teaching.

4 Likes

I have a sandwich during my break, in the office. Students are not allowed to eat in the classroom, so I wouldn’t want to set a bad, hypocritical example.

I think gum is okay. It keeps the saliva flowing.

Everything arrives out of thin air when it comes to acceptable and unacceptable behaviour.

Kayla Lemieux… Is their behaviour professionally/morally acceptable in a classroom?

What is the role of a teacher beyond the subject content? Are they role models? Should they convey the hidden curriculum, and if so, who sets that? For me, in the classroom chewing gum falls into the same category as potty mouth, using your phone in class, sitting on the edge of a table, over familiarity with students, dress code, respect for others, punctuality etc.

3 Likes

Sounds a bit like wokeist quackery, my friend. Surely Spock didn’t die for nothing?

[quote=“jimipresley, post:126, topic:197738, full:true”].
I don’t see it as some kind of moral issue, though. People who speak with food in their mouths, pick their noses on the MRT, don’t wash their hands properly, fart and burp loudly in public, watch soap operas on their phones at full volume, chomp on binlang, push ahead of you in queues and scream and shout on scenic views, should rethink their double standards.
Glass houses.
[/quote]

everyone has those rights. as does the customer and boss have the right to let you go. Farting, burping, eating etc on the regular in class during lessons…I would fire them too after 2 warnings. Probably even write it into the contract. It is a professional issue, not really a moral one. Ethics related in a business sense. Just one of those things. people can do it, just also think about the standards when getting shit canned :slight_smile: Glass houses for sure. I could go into a temple or church and start acting like a loud pig too. it is legal, just not respectful.

Students often eat their lunch in the classroom in Taiwan. probably nearly all schools. just not during class time. same with teachers. seems logical. also teaches them about cleaning up their spot and being responsible for their own space. Teachers get another room, already less excuses to eat in the classroom. unless they are diabetic or something that requires it, man up and wait the hour till next break.

I wasn’t referring to little kiddies.

“Water? That stuff is for your garden!”
Frank Sinatra - famous Jack Daniel’s imbiber.

My solution is a small bottle of mouthwash and an old coffee cup. Sip, swish and spit. Refreshed in a second. Everybody has their own solutions.

i chew nicotine gum occasionally while teaching and know other teachers that do as well. i quit smoking, mainly because of the bad smell ( iot not work-related ). something has got to give. just my :2cents:

1 Like

I think that’s reasonable as an explanation.

1 Like

Good for you! That’s the best thing you’ll do for yourself in many a year. :clap:

1 Like

You don’t need to be professional in a buxiban when your own boss doesn’t even consider you a professional. If you’re gonna pay me $600 to clown around with kids then you better believe I’ll chew gum and not care.

In a professional setting like a university where you are presenting like a professional and getting paid like one than yes sure. But the buxiban scene is treated like the joke it is, which is why there is the old joke about foreigners rocking up an hour late with a hangover.

2 Likes