So what are you supposed to say?

Hi guys,

I’ve read a lot of comments about people being “grilled” at the taiwanese consulates (HK, Macau, okinawa, etc) when they have applied for a visitor visa (for their visa runs).

I would like to get a 60 day visitor visa, cos I don’t think my work permit will be processed before my current visitor visa runs out.

Are they really going to “interrogate” you if you just tick Tourism in the visa application form, and tell the officers that your sightseeing. I read one post from a Canadian back in 2006 I think, who said that he had the director at the Macau consulate screaming at him, calling him a “dirty American” when he maintained he was “sightseeing”. Some replies to this said he should have just been honest and told them he had a job lined up in Taiwan, and shown them the work contract.

So what is the best thing to say?
Where is the “hassle free” place to go for a visa run?

Cheers

[quote=“uracil”]Hi guys, I’ve read a lot of comments about people being “grilled” at the taiwanese consulates (HK, Macau, okinawa, etc) when they have applied for a visitor visa (for their visa runs). I would like to get a 60 day visitor visa, cos I don’t think my work permit will be processed before my current visitor visa runs out.

Cheers[/quote]

If your work permit is lready in processing then you should not need to do a visa run, and you current visa perhaps may be extended. if it is not a landing visa.

I am currently on a 60 day non-extendable visitor visa.

I actually thought that once you get your work permit, you just apply for the resident visa at BOCA with your passport. If my visitor visa runs out during the processing of the resident visa, then that’s not a problem because BOCA has my passport and they know I have a work permit.

I’m just concerned about BEFORE I get the work permit - that is while it is currently being processed. This can take a number of weeks?

Appreciate the feedback

Canadians are always being mistaken for and catching crap as a result of being ‘Americans’.
Truthfully, they are Americans…North Americans.
Just pin some Tim Hortons coffee cups to your toque and give it a go, eh?..:canadian:

[quote=“uracil”]I am currently on a 60 day non-extendable visitor visa.

I actually thought that once you get your work permit, you just apply for the resident visa at BOCA with your passport. If my visitor visa runs out during the processing of the resident visa, then that’s not a problem because BOCA has my passport and they know I have a work permit.

I’m just concerned about BEFORE I get the work permit - that is while it is currently being processed. This can take a number of weeks?

Appreciate the feedback[/quote]

ASk the NIA office processing your work permit.

So, can a resident visa be applied for while in TW on a landing visa?

I’ve got a job lined up with the paperwork about to be handed in this week, but apparently its still too late and i’ve gotta make a visa run. Can I just fly to HK, return on a landing visa, and continue on with my visa application? I need to leave the country by may 7, but my employer says if i give them all the documents, they can send them in for processing right away, in which case 30 days should be sufficient to get it done.

Anyone know solid information about this?