So why are you still in Taiwan?

From lurking in the forum I read negative post after negative post, about how the local culture stinks to how the weather blows. I don’t know, maybe us westerners just thinks we’re somehow better than people here who does so-and so. I know it’s been said before but I’ll say it again: I know Taiwan blows in many area but so does many other places, America included. Lets face it, Taiwan does have its positives, for one it’s so cheap to live here and you can live your whole life here without ever knowing how to drive, can you do that in the States? (unless it’s Manhattan) The lack of English entertainment might be somewhat depressing, but then you got the internet. Besides, internet is so much more advanced here compared to the States anyways, many places you still can’t get low speed ADSL and only have dialup, not only that, the line noise is so bad that you can’t get more than 14.4 k if you live out in the boonies.

Yea people drives like nutters here but has anyone been to Vietnam or other less advanced developing countries? you’d think they’re trying to kill you!

For me it sucks that I can’t get the kind of lumber I want (with no lead as to where to get them either) without ordering on the internet (read: huge shipping cost) but I don’t know… will have to look and see and work with what I got… they’re probably dirt cheap if I do manage to find them unlike most finished guitars here that has ungodly jacked up prices for something made in China… Hell, I found some tolex (well its equivalent) at di wha street for less than 200 nt a yard… try getting that price anywhere in the USA (even the most generic ones goes for three times that, if you want specific Marshall or Fender style… oh boy!)…

It is crowded here and yea the concrete boxes we live in kinda sucks for winter and stuff, but I think that is a million times better than having your house fall apart because of a major storm… houses here could practically survive a nuclear attack…

Well I could go on and on, but from the attitudes presented by many people here it almost seems like there’s a general disrespect for the local culture here. I mean yea they’re superstitious and all but it’s their right to believe that even though it sounds stupid. How would you like it if some guy from India tells you that it’s inhumane for you to eat steak because you’re eating their god, or your culture is stupid and all that?

The food is great here in my opinion by the way, its cheap and doesn’t taste bad, maybe it takes getting used to for westerners but then if you got the bucks for real western food, go for it… but not all of us makes big bucks to be eating 600nt meals everyday, and if I did I’d eat the 60nt meal and spend the rest on something better…

So honestly, if Taiwan is so bad, food is bad (like chang wha meatballs? it’s one of my favorite food here) culture is stupid, why are you still here? if it’s women you’re after there’s plenty back home (and they speak English too and doesn’t have the “stupid” culture that you’d have to deal with here)

I’ll just end by saying one thing that people back in the States used to say to people who hated America… “If you don’t like it here, leave”

ooh so negative of the people who like to be negative.

A lot of what you say is pretty true, but there is some nonsense. Houses have only been pretty good in the last ten years or so.

Plus you are basing all your conveniences on a foreigner who lives in Taipei City/County. I understand public transport in Taichung is particularly shit for example.

No. At least not in my case. Hey. The weather doesn’t blow. Ok, it kinda does now, but it’s nothing compared to Vancouver, where I come from.

Lack of entertainment? Bah! Loads of English movies here and, as you said, there’s the net. Then you get the other language stuff. I recently watched se4jie4 色戒 with my gf. It was kind of a first for me in that I watched a Chinese language movie for the first time without English subtitles (none available on local dvd) and understood enough to get it. Cool.

I’ll admit the driving gets me down here. It sucks. Nuff said.

So live somewhere uncrowded.

I think the majority of what an expat complains about is the same stuff a local complains about. I guess it’s because we’re not local that some take offense to what we write here. Some people have attitudes, true, but this is a harmless place to vent. On the whole, I wouldn’t take this internet site as at all indicative or representative of the “foreigner” point of view, if there even is one. As for myself, I like it here. However, love is not blind. I see TW’s faults and vocalize them. I think others should be able to as well. I hate the “love it or leave it” attitude that comes out sometimes in some people here.

The food is a huge plus for me. I love how interesting and delicious a meal that costs 2 USD can be here. I love the diversity of what’s available. I think most expats would agree.

Dude, most people don’t hold the views you attribute to us. A lot of people, in fact, like it here. I guess you missed the threads wherein expats who left are missing this place? Again, love isn’t blind. People can love it here and still complain about the place’s shortcomings-- and there are plenty of those, you’ve got to have noticed.

Wish you hadn’t. It’s so worn out, unoriginal and trite.

:banned: :mickey: :taz: :beer: :flog: :howyoudoin: :heart: :no-no:

its a human right to complain :slight_smile:

and you know everyone does bout something sometimes and most things most times and where-ever you are you wish you were somewhere else and its always too cold or too hot and someone elses wife is always prettier and etc etc etc

its a human condition to complain. most of it is just harmless carrying ons

lets face it … ITS FUN TO COMPLAIN

:smiling_imp:

[quote=“rahimiiii”]So honestly, if Taiwan is so bad, food is bad (like chang wha meatballs? it’s one of my favorite food here) culture is stupid, why are you still here? if it’s women you’re after there’s plenty back home (and they speak English too and doesn’t have the “stupid” culture that you’d have to deal with here)

I’ll just end by saying one thing that people back in the States used to say to people who hated America… “If you don’t like it here, leave”[/quote]

Dude, you are often one of the loudest Taiwan-bashers on the board and keep saying you want to leave so what gives? :s

Places like Forumosa are a lifesaver for the odd time when we get that wave of culture shock and need to vent. I would need that whether I was in Taiwan, China, Vietnam, America, Canada, wherever. I guess it’s offensive from a Taiwanese point of view but it’s just a release valve, nothing more.

There is some stuff that winds me up that a local/ABC wouldn’t understand because they wouldn’t get automatic refusal of credit etc., but apart from that I think life is pretty sweet.

So I’ve gotta say… I like it here, if you don’t, tough shit :laughing:

Let me rephrase this for you: ¨you can live your whole life here without ever knowing how to drive and still drive a scooter, car or blue truck. :wink:

Careful here, if everyone who doesn’t like every aspect of Taiwan leaves then… well, on the bright side this place won’t be so crowded anymore, on the other hand you’d be left with a bunch of complacent morons who’d eventually chase you off the island because you don’t like the way they drive.

If I’m really bored later I’ll post why I think this place is great. :slight_smile:

Beer and pussy.

Sorry, just being a smart-ass with an irresistable cheap shot. Plus, answering the question for 55% of the male expats that I know.

This half-PC version of Quentin I don’t like.
The old Quentin would have just posted the first post and gone offline to have another drink. No apologies.

He was a unique gem. What have we done to him!

It’s a good question I suppose…

The first 3 months - I stayed because I thought I could become a better teacher, and then things would be ok.

Then I met my girlfriend and that was the sole reason I stayed here. By this stage I had seen that the job I am in is shit, but I didn’t care anymore because I had someone here that needed me, and I loved having her around.

Last November she went home, and the reason I have stayed till now is because my contract is so close to being finished.

As soon as that contract is up - sayonara Taiwan!

But, I’m 99% sure I’ll be back. Next time I will try living in a city area, and be more selective about where I work.

I like the cost of living, I like the weird and wonderful expats that seem to thrive here, and I like the food and culture.

Now - just have to get through the next 3 weeks without going postal :slight_smile:

[quote=“pubba”]It’s a good question I suppose…

The first 3 months - I stayed because I thought I could become a better teacher, and then things would be ok.

Then I met my girlfriend and that was the sole reason I stayed here. By this stage I had seen that the job I am in is shit, but I didn’t care anymore because I had someone here that needed me, and I loved having her around.

Last November she went home, and the reason I have stayed till now is because my contract is so close to being finished.

As soon as that contract is up - sayonara Taiwan!

But, I’m 99% sure I’ll be back. Next time I will try living in a city area, and be more selective about where I work.

I like the cost of living, I like the weird and wonderful expats that seem to thrive here, and I like the food and culture.

Now - just have to get through the next 3 weeks without going postal :slight_smile:[/quote]

No wonder you didn’t call on me in Muzha.

Why? Because [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/ella-chen-from-s-h-e/43012/1 want to meet Ella Chen[/url]. And the longer I’m here, the better my chances of running into her.

(1) In order to eat, live indoors, and have other essentials.

(2) Because I owe, I owe, so it’s off to work I go.

[quote=“rahimiiii”]

Well I could go on and on, but from the attitudes presented by many people here it almost seems like there’s a general disrespect for the local culture here. [/quote]

I can only speak for myself.

When I complain about something, it is because I’m either making a humerous observation or I genuinely hate that part of life here. Job stuff – hate with a passion. Crazy annoying blue truck - might hate, but can deal with it and making a humerous observation about it.

Living in a concrete box - hate. Cheap rent - thank God!

Complaining about certain things does not mean we hate the culture. It means we hate that thing. A person might hate their boss, but that doesn’t mean they hate Taiwanese people.

I’d say, “Ok. Pass me a burger then.”

That’s fine. However, until one realizes that one way people find enjoyment out of things is to make jokes about it, it’s going to be a difficult life.

Even if I thought a chicken foot was the best tasting thing in the world, I would still chuckle about it every time I see one being served. It’s like seeing someone eating an egg. Eating a chicken foot seems so much more logical to me than eating an egg.
(First guy who did it - “I’m going to eat the next thing that comes out of that chicken’s butt.”)

To each his own.

[quote]culture is stupid, why are you still here? if it’s women you’re after there’s plenty back home (and they speak English too and doesn’t have the “stupid” culture that you’d have to deal with here)

I’ll just end by saying one thing that people back in the States used to say to people who hated America… “If you don’t like it here, leave”[/quote]

Not sure who that’s really addressed to. Most people I know here on the boards like it here.

Matt

You are confusing periodic venting with deeply felt conviction. I don’t know anyone who has lived in Taiwan for a long time who doesn’t vent from time to time. Frustration goes hand in hand with living overseas–it doesn’t matter where you live. As someone pointed out, the things that bother many long-term foreign residents also bother natives.

There are those who profess to truly hate Taiwan. Usually, this is some form of compensation for an individual’s inability to adapt and fit in. That is fine, but understand it for what it is.

[quote=“Tomas”]You are confusing periodic venting with deeply felt conviction. I don’t know anyone who has lived in Taiwan for a long time who doesn’t vent from time to time. Frustration goes hand in hand with living overseas–it doesn’t matter where you live. As someone pointed out, the things that bother many long-term foreign residents also bother natives.

There are those who profess to truly hate Taiwan. Usually, this is some form of compensation for an individual’s inability to adapt and fit in. That is fine, but understand it for what it is.[/quote]

I don’t think I’ve ever met someone from Forumosa or any foreigner in Taiwan for that matter who has professed to hate all things Taiwanese. Most long-term people I’ve met here love certain things about the country and dislike other things. The people that sometimes annoy me the most are the ones who don’t criticize anything, or the locals that get angry and/or patriotic when you mention areas that the island could improve on (after listing the positive points of course). I think this love is totally unnatural, and I wonder if they are hiding their true feelings, or if they just arrived off the boat, or if they have limited travel experience. There are bound to be things that expats dislike about their host country. I don’t mind Taiwan’s food, but I think Singaporean and Japanese food is better. I like Taiwan’s mountains and chaos better than the flatland disneyland “orderliness” of Singapore. But what country’s government treats expats/foreigners better? Singapore is a heartbeat. Taiwanese women–best all-round package in Asia for sure. No complaints on that subject. What country has given me the best opportunities? Taiwan, again, for sure. Like living in any country for a long period, it’s a mixed bag. That is normal IMHO.

Many good points made, but that “like it or leave it” crap that you slipped in at the end invalidates all the logic.

Is there anything you don’t like about Taiwan? If so, why don’t YOU leave it? Answer: Because obviously to anyone other than the inbred trailer park rednecks populating parts of rural America, it’s not that simple.

Those of us who are here for the long term are here because we love Taiwan, or love someone Taiwanese, or hopefully both. Love isn’t blind. Taiwan is extremely far from perfect but it’s still what I choose to call my home because the pros outweigh the cons. If everyone ignored Taiwan’s faults, there would never be any chance at improving the country and the society that we care about.

wel said well said. A lot of my TAiwanese friends are the worst complainers of all things TAiwanese by the way. And some of them even voted with their feet and left.

I think constructive criticism is very good . And we all must recognize that it aint perfect. Thats for sure.

Well… This may sound a little awful, but one reason I have loved living in Taiwan is that it’s a quick flight to other fantastic places in Asia. Over the years, I’ve visited every country in East and Southeast Asia, from Mongolia to Indonesia, the Philippines over to India–many places multiple times. If I have more than three days in a row off, I buy me a ticket somewhere.

What’s nice about Taiwan is that I don’t really work more than 6 hours a day (teachers generally don’t) and I make enough money to sustain a pretty good lifestyle–and afford those kinds of trips!

Of course, I enjoy being part of the expat community. There’s quite a fun bunch of people here, and there’s nothing better than going to see the Muddy Basin Ramblers and running into half of them!

So what about Taiwan? Well, I traveled all over here when I first arrived 15 years ago, but I haven’t cared too much about re-visiting too many places.

[quote=“Buzzardo”]Well… This may sound a little awful, but one reason I have loved living in Taiwan is that it’s a quick flight to other fantastic places in Asia. Over the years, I’ve visited every country in East and Southeast Asia, from Mongolia to Indonesia, the Philippines over to India–many places multiple times. If I have more than three days in a row off, I buy me a ticket somewhere.

What’s nice about Taiwan is that I don’t really work more than 6 hours a day (teachers generally don’t) and I make enough money to sustain a pretty good lifestyle–and afford those kinds of trips!

Of course, I enjoy being part of the expat community. There’s quite a fun bunch of people here, and there’s nothing better than going to see the Muddy Basin Ramblers and running into half of them!

So what about Taiwan? Well, I traveled all over here when I first arrived 15 years ago, but I haven’t cared too much about re-visiting too many places.[/quote]

Hey the important thing is that it works out great for you. Work is ok, living is ok in Taiwan and you get your jollies in nearby countries that would be a trek from further away. I dont see anything wrong with that picture :slight_smile:

Although you MIGHT be short changing yourself Taiwan-wise by not doing more on the island. But thats your legitimate choice.