So you got past the asking

This is why girls/women should allow and or encourage their boy friends/husbands to go drinking and why the girls/women should join them… inebriation has the effect of making other people look better.

Why bother getting dolled up (you probably don’t need it anyway and are doing it merely out of vanity) when you can get your boy/man drunk and he’ll think you’re gorgeous (even more gorgeous than you already no doubt are).

Think of the valuable, precious time wasted by women. Pity, IMO.

TigerSage wrote [quote]This is why girls/women should allow and or encourage their boy friends/husbands to go drinking and why the girls/women should join them… inebriation has the effect of making other people look better.[/quote]

Good advice. Booze can also be a useful truth serum which allows you to see normally hidden parts of a person’s character.

I hear you there, me too.

My first Taiwanese girlfriend was always late. Always.

I broke up with her because of the last time she was late. “Hi, are you almost here yet?” - her: “Oh, sorry, I decided to go to Taipei this morning”. That was the end. :fume:

Hey Tom,

If she wants to go shoe shopping without me I don’t care. :laughing:

[quote=“Sweetie”]I don’t like to be late and do my best not to be late, but sometimes I can’t help it. Usually it’s a 5 - 15 mins.
But then I’ve also been stood up before and sometimes the guy shows up like 20 minutes late. What’s up with that then? :noway:
So seriously it’s not only the girls that are usually late.[/quote]

Exactly the same here, and usually not because I’m getting dolled up. But because I underestimate the time it takes to actually leave the office/ home and get across town to where I’m meeting friends :blush: :blush: I never used to be late back in Germany. Here, it just happens :blush: :blush:

But then, I also have been stood up before. Or was to meet (male) friends (close ones, not dates!) who kept calling that they’d be half an hour late a couple of times before never showing up. These friends I usually tell to pick me up at my place, so at least I can do something useful while waiting.

If you ask me, I think about 15 minutes should be acceptible, especially in a city like Taipei.

Iris

:astonished:

How come “15” minutes is always brought up by the ladies. :smiling_imp: :wink:

I’m usually very early or about 5 minutes late.
I remember once I was terribly angry with my boyfriend because he was late. It was our 3rd date or so and by the time he arrived I had been waiting for 30 minutes already. It was quite embarrassing when I realised he had been only 4 minutes late. :blush:

Then if you know it’s going to take longer to prepare, why not just start earlier? It’s hardly rocket science. Actually, I think that if you know that it’s going to take that long in advance and you’re still late, it shows remarkable disrespect. If you can’t be arsed making the effort to be on time, why should he?

Believe me, I’ve tried that. I try that every time. It just doesn’t work out most of the time, I’ll still be between 5 and 15 minutes late. That’s why I prefer to meet people in places where waiting isn’t too much of a pain because they can talk to their favorite waitress. Or why I prefer to call them as soon as I’m in a taxi and can tell for sure when I’ll get there. It’s definitely not disrespect.

But then, people who can not put up with that usually don’t become friends of mine, anyway.

Iris

We follow the plan that we set but sometimes it just takes a bit longer than that with make up, or hair messing up and sometimes we underestimate travel time. That’s hardly disrespectful. And seriously, don’t make it sound like guys are never late… :noway:

As someone who is scrupulously punctual and micromanages his time down to the minutes and seconds, I tend to get awfully irked when anyone turns up late for a meeting with me. She’d have to be very special indeed for me to put up with it as anything other than an exceptional occurrence (though I’d be willing to wait hours every time for assignations with the Faye Wangs and A-meis of this world).

The Taiwanese girls I dated in my bachelor days quickly got to understand this, almost always managed to turn up on time, and rushed up full of apologies on the very rare occasions when they were late.

Nowadays, of course, we all have cellphones, and though these are wonderful tools for facilitating smooth and stress-free rendezvous, I believe they have had a detrimental effect on standards of punctuality, as a lot of people seem to think that it doesn’t really matter too much if they are tardy in setting out since they can always call and let the other person or persons know the situation. It certainly makes the waiting less painful when you can readily obtain a clear report on where someone is and how late they are likely to be, but it still does not excuse their failing to make the effort needed to ensure arriving on time.

Funny, as I’m reading this my phone is ringing. The person I am supposed to meet for a business conversation will not be here in 15 minutes as planned. She is unlikely to be leaving her current location in 15 minutes. She will, probably, call me later to let me know that she’s on the way.

And this is someone with a financial interest in getting here. :unamused:

Well, five to 15’s not bad, not in the least. Especially if you call ahead and let them know what’s going on. It’s more when it’s 15+ mins, caused by something largely controllable (ie not traffic, etc.), and there’s no update that it’s bad.

And I’m not trying to make it sound like guys are never late - but the OP did ask from the male, dating perspective, and being a straight male I can’t say I have much experience handling guys being late :laughing:. That, and I’m usually early, if anything, for most appointments, simply because I’m always worried I’ll be late.

[quote=“Loretta”]Funny, as I’m reading this my phone is ringing. The person I am supposed to meet for a business conversation will not be here in 15 minutes as planned. She is unlikely to be leaving her current location in 15 minutes. She will, probably, call me later to let me know that she’s on the way.

And this is someone with a financial interest in getting here. :unamused:[/quote]
Don’t you think this is totally unprofessional?? I mean its different when you are late w/ a date or meeting w/ friends, but business meeting?? I always make sure I am early for interviews and business meeting…

so what happened??

kellohitty wrote:
But it’s because girls take much longer to prepare for dates. I mean, there’s 7 different moisurizers to put on the different parts of your face. … Besides it’s for your benefit that girls do all that primping to smell nice and look pretty.

This is why girls/women should allow and or encourage their boy friends/husbands to go drinking and why the girls/women should join them… inebriation has the effect of making other people look better.

Why bother getting dolled up (you probably don’t need it anyway and are doing it merely out of vanity) when you can get your boy/man drunk and he’ll think you’re gorgeous (even more gorgeous than you already no doubt are).

Think of the valuable, precious time wasted by women. Pity, IMO.

Ok, that is certainly a better solution. The problem is: What will those poor fashion/cosmetic/plastic surgeons do? Those poor suckers will be out of business. But they could probably get jobs at the local beer manufacturer.

Oh, come on, when someone posts about “someone with a financial interest in getting here” in the Dating forum, you just have to make the obvious joke. No reason to delete my post.

If I make a date with you, I’ll be there and show up on time. If I know I’ll be late, I’ll send you an SMS telling you how long it will take me to get there. Of course, I expect the same behavior from men; I especially hate it when they’re late and don’t contact you. This is disrespectful.

If I know I can’t make it, I’ll let you know waaaay ahead of time, and not when you’re already there and waiting. If I have no intention of ever meeting up with you, I’ll hee and haw, but never agree to set a date.

Nevertheless, I have heard that Taiwanese ladies are notorious for being very late, and cancelling on the last minute. Whatsupwiththat?! :noway:

Sigh, but then again, I’m not Taiwanese… Maybe it’s a culture thing, but women who do these things give the rest of the women here a bad name. :astonished:

[quote=“raventina”]If I make a date with you, I’ll be there and show up on time. If I know I’ll be late, I’ll send you an SMS telling you how long it will take me to get there. Of course, I expect the same behavior from men; I especially hate it when they’re late and don’t contact you. This is disrespectful.

If I know I can’t make it, I’ll let you know waaaay ahead of time, and not when you’re already there and waiting. If I have no intention of ever meeting up with you, I’ll hee and haw, but never agree to set a date.

Nevertheless, I have heard that Taiwanese ladies are notorious for being very late, and cancelling on the last minute. Whatsupwiththat?! :noway:

Sigh, but then again, I’m not Taiwanese… Maybe it’s a culture thing, but women who do these things give the rest of the women here a bad name. :astonished:[/quote]

Some pretty sweeping generalizations in this post. I can’t speak for all the Tw ladies, but if you make an appointment with my g/f, she writes it into her book of all things. If you cancel, not matter how much notice you give, she will be choked and let you know just how choked.

I’ve learned to say, “No honey, I have absolutely no desire to go to that wedding.” This way I don’t have to fake being sick come day of.

If a date was running late (back in my dating days), then, in most cases, I would get a call. It would be then up to me if I wanted to wait or not. I’ve done both: Waited and ditched. Depends on each and every situation as they are all different.

I’ve been five minutes late and called ahead. I still got the silent treatment for an hour. “Because it shows you have no respect for me if you are late…”

“But I called.”

“It doesn’t matter.”

Yeah well okay then fine. :loco:

I hate it when people are anal about time. What’s 5 minutes? Even 1 hour late is no big deal to me.

It’s when guys say “call you tomorrow” and then they don’t call until a week later that irks me. I never know how to react. If I seem bothered about it, it gives the impression that I care too much. If I don’t mention it, then I feel like I’m allowing the guy to disrespect me.

What’s the answer? Why do guys never call when they say they will? And how do you guys expect the girl to act when you finally do get around to it?