So you were drunk. That's no excuse. (just an observation)

So many times I hear people say “I was dunk so I said this or I wrote that.” Other people say “forgive him, he was drunk so he said this or he wrote that.”

That’s no excuse. When I’m drunk (which is very rare), I just let go. The things I say are the things I think. The things I write are the things I think. I just lack restraint when I’m drunk, that’s all. Since it works that way for me, I tend to not give a drunk a break for what he says or write while drunk.

Perhaps some of you say or write things while drunk that you would not actually endorse when sober. Not the case with me. So while you may give a break to a drunken person/ poster because he/she is/was drunk, I don’t. Maybe I’ve never been “that” drunk. Mind you, I’ve been as dunk as drunk gets so far as my knowledge of being drunk goes. I’m talking greenish drunk.

Anyways… This to say that I never buy the excuse “I was drunk.”

You sound like a novice drinker. Yes, many times grog can be a truth drug; people who are very drunk will say things that they have long had on their mind. However, they also often spout meaningless crap that defies any interpretation. Seeing as it is very hard to distinguish the former from the latter, everything said by drunk folks should be ignored or taken with a large grain of salt.
How seriously would you take dreams that you have?

[quote=“almas john”]Yes, many times grog can be a truth drug; people who are very drunk will say things that they have long had on their mind.[/quote]That’s what I’m saying. Not that I’m drunk at the moment. [quote] However, they also often spout meaningless crap that defies any interpretation.[/quote]To my knowledge, this never happened to me.

[quote]How seriously would you take dreams that you have?[/quote]I’ve never been drunk enough to compare a drunken night with a dream. It’s very difficult to answer you question with relevance to the topic at hand for me. I puke and pass out when I’m too drunk, but I’ll admit that I have seen some people get a lot more drunk than I ever have before reaching the puking and passing out point.

[quote]You sound like a novice drinker.[/quote] Oh shut it already. :wink:

If one is prone to drunken ranting and raving, the key is to drink with fellow drunkards. They are a very tolerant and forgiving group of people. :blush: :slight_smile:
Personally, I’m pretty well lubricated by midnight most nights, and people shouldn’t pay too much heed to my posts. Likewise, if you are reading a Monster post that was made at 3 am, then some leeway should be given.

I agree that intoxication does not absolve someone of responsibility for his words and actions. However, I don’t think that drunk people “letting go” are necessarily revealing their complete beliefs. For instance, let’s say that Ms. Black, who is a black lady, and Ms. White, who is a white lady, have been close friends for twenty years. Ms. Black’s husband, who shares her race, leaves her for a white woman (not Ms. White). Ms. Black is angry and depressed. Her friend Ms. White visits to try and cheer her up. She finds Ms. Black with a half-empty bottle of scotch, completely wasted. Ms. Black says, “You damn white girls, always stealing the good black men! Get out of here you honky!”

So how should Ms. White interpret Ms. Black’s behavior? It is probably true that Ms. Black really does feel some degree of anger or jealousy that several of the available, successful black men she knows have chosen to marry white women. And she’s obviously angry at her ex-husband for doing the same. Yet when she is sober, while her anger and jealously are still present, those feelings dwarf in comparison to her generally good feelings towards white women, particularly her close friend Ms. White. And when she thinks about the whole thing rationally (and sober), she really is not that angry or jealous anyways. What was a very minor belief became magnified by her recent experience and her drunken state of mind. She apologizes to Ms. White.

Of course, this does not mean that Ms. White is under any obligation to accept Ms. Black’s apology. Ms. Black is not automatically excused for her behavior just because she was drunk. However, I personally believe her intoxication should be considered. Ms. Black is not a racist and never has been. She had some residual feelings that compose a very small part of her beliefs, and those feelings became amplified when she was drunk.

I was once propositioned by a lovely young lady in a tiny red dress. But I was drunk. I’m sure that if I wasn’t drunk I would have been a night I would of forgetten. But I was drunk…

Suppose I get drunk and kill somebody–say, by running over them with a car. Does it make any difference if I killed them because I always secretly wanted to, and the alcohol released my inhibitions against doing so; or if it was just a sad accident?

Would it make any difference if my drunken state was not entirely my choice? Perhaps I didn’t realize just how potent the punch was. Perhaps I didn’t realize how drunk I was (being drunk at the time) when I got behind the wheel of the car?

[quote]
Suppose I get drunk and kill somebody–say, by running over them with a car. Does it make any difference if I killed them because I always secretly wanted to, and the alcohol released my inhibitions against doing so; or if it was just a sad accident? [/quote]

From a legal standpoint it might. Traditionally drunkenness is a defense to specific intent crimes (1st degree murder) but not to general intent crimes (ordinary murder).

I tend to ignore posts made on here after 12 midnight. They mostly look stupid.
(I full well understand that some posters are in a very different time-zone)

Of course the same argument might be, and has on occasion, made about my posts.

So drink up…enjoy life and take the stick out of your a**…you’re not really impressing anyone anyway.

(posted to no one in particular - just a morning rant)

[quote=“almas john”]
However, they also often spout meaningless crap that defies any interpretation.[/quote]

Must … resist … :laughing:

Truth be told, I (not that I’m a shining example of much of anything, except perhaps cranky curmudgeonism) rarely post on this site while sober. If I did, I would break every rule in about 2.67 posts.
Don’t inquire about what, if anything, I may or may not do while sober. There are some things that are sacrosanct. Like fine pilsener, for example.

For some alcohol is an excuse, for others, used in moderation, it’s a prop.
Some can handle it well, and others can’t. It’s all about knowing one’s limits, drawing a few lines in the sand, and making sure that basic common sense is not over-ruled by instant inane impulses.
As usual, it’s caveat emptor.
I always tell amateur drunks: Are you drinking that? Or is it knocking you back a few?

I apologize to any temperance windbags that may take offence at my frankness.
I’m exceptionally sober right now, and that’s not right!
I won’t let it happen again.
:grandpa:

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“almas john”]
However, they also often spout meaningless crap that defies any interpretation.[/quote]

Must … resist … :laughing:[/quote]

I guess spewing meaningless crap while sober might be even more inexcusable. Maybe. :raspberry: But I still think that being drunk is no excuse. If anything, one only shows who he/she really is when drunk enough.

Bobepine wrote: [quote]If anything, one only shows who he/she really is when drunk enough.[/quote]

Like I said before, I think this is a bit simplistic. A person might be upset by something (let’s say getting jerked around at work) but when drunk this anger might get channeled into ranting about other things.

" I just lack restraint when I’m drunk, that’s all. Since it works that way for me,
I tend to not give a drunk a break for what he says or write(sic) while drunk."
-since I’m not you how can you guess how 'it" works for me?

“Perhaps some of you say or write things while drunk that you would not
actually endorse(?) when sober. Not the case with me. So while you may
give a break to a drunken person/ poster because he/she is/was drunk,
I don’t. Maybe I’ve never been ‘that’ drunk. Mind you, I’ve been as dunk
as drunk gets so far as my knowledge of being drunk goes. I’m talking
greenish drunk(?).”
-this itself sounds like drunken drivel - to me.

“Anyways… This (sic) to say that I never buy the excuse ‘I was drunk.’”
-what do you pay for “The dog ate my homework.”?

Too drunk to focus properly on the wee laptop. Will comment tomottow.

Lucky bastard, you. You can just tell folks you’re Irish and nobody will blame you for being a drunkard!

[quote=“old canuck”]" I just lack restraint when I’m drunk, that’s all. Since it works that way for me,
I tend to not give a drunk a break for what he says or write(sic) while drunk."
-since I’m not you how can you guess how 'it" works for me?[/quote]Well, it’s just a guess.

[quote]-this itself sounds like drunken drivel - to me. [/quote]If it’s drivel, it certainly isn’t “drunken” drivel. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]-what do you pay for “The dog ate my homework.”?[/quote]I have not had drunk students come to class yet.

[quote=“aj”]Like I said before, I think this is a bit simplistic.[/quote]Maybe it is, yes. Not everyone acts the same when intoxicated.

That’s crap. Why not say the real me is the me when I drive a car in bad traffic? Or the real me is the me when I’m taking a walk and step in dog (I hope) shit.

I remember watching a Western in which the Town Drunk says, “You get really drunk once and from then on you’re known as the Town Drunk. It’s not fair.”

Is being a repeat offender worse when one is an online drunk, or when one is an online troll?

personally i think BP is spot-on

he doesn’t only refer to online posting AFAIK,

i would extend this to extreme emotions too,
once,when my mum passed away,my brother let out numerous unfair and unfounded accusations to one of my aunt,i’ll never forgive him for that.

how about the rest of us who have to work twice as hard because some drunk twat can’t pull his weight,
one unfortunate stigma in this society is that the drunk who show up late/hangovered and often smelly will generate sympathy and amusement from the coworkers
“had a big 'un ha! that’s my boy!” that kind of crap,while the rest of the professional ones have to cover for his shit.
i used to get annoyed while i was a mere employee,now i just sack the inconsiderate wankers

[quote=“jdsmith”]
Is being a repeat offender worse when one is an online drunk, or when one is an online troll?[/quote]

So when are you two getting married? :wink: