SoCal's burning

[quote=“Tomas”]
I have cousins and close friends in San Diego. Just got the news that one of my friends and his kids had to evacuate yesterday. He isn’t sure if his home burned or survived. Obviously, he and his kids are badly shaken up. He said either there was no evacuation order or he didn’t hear the order. He woke up to find his entire street on fire, got his kids dressed and out the door in five minutes, drove straight into the fire, turned around and went the other way until he found a safe pathway. He’s in a hotel now, checking the lists of burned and saved homes.

The others are okay for now, but prepared for evacuation.[/quote]

My cousins/friends got some kind of automated evac order over the phone in RP, Mira Mesa and Escondido. Where in SD is your family located?

MT, where are you getting those pics?

I’d like to see more, but they are a PITA to see on this site.

[quote=“Truant”]MT, where are you getting those pics?

I’d like to see more, but they are a PITA to see on this site.[/quote]

His Photos come courtesy of the LA Times. But these pics aren’t from SD. The shot with the ocean is for sure the Malibu fire.

Amazing that such a tragedy could be so beautiful.

Not surprisingly, as is usually the case with large wildfires, arson is partly to blame. Surprising, though how many arsonists there are and how many have been arrested.

[quote]One of the larger fires in Southern California was deliberately started by someone with apparent knowledge of arson, a fire official said Thursday.

The Santiago Fire in Orange County was started in two places along a little-traveled road, according to Chief Chip Prather of the county’s fire authority. . .

The reward for information leading to an arrest has increased to $150,000 – $50,000 each from the governor’s office, the U.S. agency of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, and the FBI, Prather said. . .

Meanwhile, Los Angeles Fire Department investigators are looking into whether a man who was arrested on suspicion of arson in the San Fernando Valley may have had a role in any of the ongoing blazes, an L.A. police spokeswoman said.

Catalino Pineda, 41, was arrested Wednesday, Officer Kate Lopez told CNN. Witnesses told police they saw him lighting a fire on a hillside in the West Hills area of San Fernando. . .

In San Bernardino County, John Alfred Rund, 48, was arrested Tuesday evening and charged with setting a small fire along a rural roadside near Victorville. . .

The county’s district attorney’s office on Thursday also filed arson charges against Anthony Riperti, 47, of Redlands. . . .

The San Diego County Sheriff’s Department also arrested an adult and a juvenile accused by an anonymous tipster of starting a fire in Vista . . .[/quote]
cnn.com/2007/US/10/25/fire.arson/index.html

Aside from those dangerous, criminal nutcases (who are often firefighters themselves), and without diminishing the tragedy of this for so many people, I was thinking this morning how such fires are a perfectly normal and ordinary part of the environment. Southern Cal is so hot and dry and the hills are covered with manzanita and other dry vegetation that catches fire with only the slightest spark and burns long and hot; coupled with the warm Santa Ana winds, it would be amazing if such fires didn’t occur. I remember when I studied Botany at Palomar College, in the dry hills of Northern San Diego county, right next to where the largest of the fires is now burning, my botany teacher explained that So Cal has many very beautiful wildflowers and other species whose seeds have a thick, hard shell, so they can’t germinate and grow except after a fire. In other words the local vegetation has evolved based on the expectation that there will be regular fires.

And I’m reminded of the huge fire at Yellowstone Park, about 1980, that burned a huge portion of the park and the controversial decision that was made then to let it keep burning naturally, rather than try to extinguish it, because throughout the eons (not just the very short time man has been around and tried to tame the environment) wildfires have always been an important part of the life of many ecosystems.

And I’m reminded of the futile efforts man makes to control shifting shorelines, when the tides regularly scour all the sand from beaches where it is wanted and deposit it in bays and shipping channels where it isn’t, and men are forced to constantly dredge, build piers, rebuild beaches and constantly battle the forces. Or all the people who build expensive houses on bluffs with phenomenal views of the ocean, only to have their yards and sometimes their houses erode over the edge.

These fires are terrible, but they’re also terribly predictable and (aside from the arsonists) natural.

The Australian bush has the same issues, they suspect because hunter gatherers slowly shaped it that way by throwing a torch in as they moved off, thus creating advantages to plants that benefitrd from fire.The eucalypt or gm tree, which are now prolific in California is just sucjh an example, They drop an oil-laden bark at their base so that when a fire occcurs it flashes up the tree effectively sealing it from further harm.

They are now using aboriginal burning techniques in some areas of Australia to allow for periodic small burns rather than catastrophic but rarer big fires.

HG

I was back home in late March and was amazed by both how green LA was and how thick the scrub was…I’d never seen the vegetation so thick. This fire was long overdue.

We’d never go for more than two seasons without a major brush fire in our area. It’s the nature of things in Southern California, and the local flora depends on it for propagation. Arson or not, if you live in the foothills of Southern Ca, this is something you will just have to put up with every few years to live in Paradise.

Still have a friend unaccounted for in Poway. Worrisome. All the rest of my relatives/friends are accounted for as they begin to move in and survey the damage. So far, only a Patio cover burnt by flying embers, smoke damage and some melted lawn furniture.

I hope all the rest of you have found your precious ones safe.

Oops, sorry. His parents will have their work cut out for them fighting off the angry hordes (and the lawsuits). I wouldn’t want to be in their shoes, or his.

[quote]A juvenile playing with matches started a Southern California wildfire that wound up scorching more than 38,000 acres and destroying 63 structures, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department said Tuesday. . .

“After talking with the suspect, he admitted playing with matches and starting the fire,” the report said.

The boy, whose name and age were not given, was released to the custody of his parents, police said. The case will be presented to the Los Angeles County district attorney for possible charges.

According to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, the Buckweed Fire burned 38,526 acres.

Sixty-three structures, 21 of them homes, were destroyed, and three civilians and two firefighters were injured.

The sheriff’s department said the fire forced the evacuation of about 15,000 people from their homes. . .[/quote]
cnn.com/2007/US/10/31/fire.c … pstoryview

Sad, sad case. The above arsonist was just 10 years old.

As noted in the linked article, playing with fire is a perfectly normal, ordinary (but dangerous) part of growing up for most boys. I recall when I was a kid a neighbor’s house that burned down due to their young boy playing with fire. And I admit, I went through that phase. I guess I was lucky, and this kid and his parents and everyone else weren’t. Shit, this kid burned down 21 houses; how do you go through life with that on your record/conscience.

Still undecided if criminal charges will be filed against him (the article notes a 10 year old prosecuted for murder in another completely unrelated case.)

Aside from the Santa Ana winds, the main culprit in the fires – not arson but downed power lines.

[quote]When the firestorms of October were finally extinguished and hundreds of thousands of Southern Californians returned to their homes, officials set out to understand how 21 fires erupted in the span of just three days. . .

The leading cause of ignition appeared to be power lines. As many as eight fires were blamed on sparks from lines blown down by the high, hot Santa Ana winds that sweep across Southern California each autumn. The Witch fire, which burned 200,000 acres and killed two people, was ignited by a power line, as was the smaller Guejito blaze with which it merged.

The findings have renewed calls for improving the safety of the power lines, either by reinforcing poles and line fasteners or, in some cases, placing cables underground in rural areas that experience the worst winds.

spokeswoman for San Diego Gas & Electric. She noted that 60 percent of the utility’s lines are already underground, twice the national average.

The problem is expense. Burying power lines can cost $1 million a mile. It also makes any repair a matter of digging.

“People don’t understand the consequences of it,” said James A. Kelly, vice president for engineering and technical services at Southern California Edison, which is less eager to bury the lines. “It’s like using a 20-pound sledgehammer to kill an ant.”

Edison is experimenting with less costly options, including poles made from composite materials designed to withstand winds that “are sufficient in some instances to snap wooden poles,” Kelly said.

Indeed, the Santa Ana winds remain the primary reason for October’s fires. The gusty, dry gales exceeded 100 mph, and blew steadily for so long that they drove fires over terrain that had been thoroughly burned four years earlier. . . .[/quote]
link