Social life...:(

I find that I could not socialize at all in Taiwan because I don’t know where people go to hang out here. I go to this YWAM based coffee bar in danshui that has a regular group of foreigners but they move on all the time, staying from 2 weeks to about a few months. It’d be nice if I can find myself a long term foreigner to be friends with. I feel I got nothing in common with the locals here so I don’t even know how to make friends with them. Maybe if you are interested in making friends feel free to pm me, cause I am always looking for a friend…

I am Taiwanese (actually I am chinese because my family originated from China) but I spent so much time in Texas I might as well be a Texan.

Hey battery9, I feel your sadness. I was away from my friends for 2.5 years but I spent a month every summer back home. The thing I felt when I first moved back home was how everyone’s life went on. Without me! The horror! Everyone had things to talk about. There was no uncomfortable silence where I filled in about my wonderful Asian adventures. My peers of half my lifetime knew I was in Taiwan for 2.5 years and that was it. They were interested in my life here for a week or so but that was about it.

And I was prepped for that kind of reaction, too. I didn’t receive a hero’s welcome. I mentioned oysters, wine, driving in one sentence and that’s all we did for the first few months.

I think what I’m trying to say is don’t think things are that grand and dandy back home because most likely they’re not. People back home could care less about your aventures en asie. And be prepped for that reaction…

But true, speaking English when ordering bubble tea was fun. It was dealing with the non-English speaking folks at Chinese-owned establishments that pissed me off initially. In YVR!

JohnDoe and I are very unsocial lately too. He’s into his Taichi, I am into Yoga and there is not much time left beside work. We’re tired on the weekends and mostly just want to rest. What a life…

This is quite the upbeat thread.

I suppose I’m lucky/unlucky to be located in Hualien where foreigners tend to stick around for three to four years on average. Some much longer. Furthermore, there are only so many places in town so everyone kinds knows everyone. This can be nice because your friend base remains pretty solid but it’s also crappy because when your friends do decide to leave it hurts that much more.

Cheer up. Taiwan is also chaulk full of non-foreigners who aren’t going anywhere. It’s natural that as we get older making friends becomes more difficult. But with a little effort your can generate a quality social life.

It’s probably the rain.

Ecaps

it is the rain…
I’m just irritated because in 6 years I havent found one single close female friend that like things that I do. I’m a girl and I play X-box, drool over Magic 125s and little robots. I listen to Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit and would spray paint everything if I could. And put stickers on it…and modify stuff.

I’ve seen a couple of locals like that but they all giggle and have their own set of rules when it comes to most things. I just find most interaction here soooo superficial. I studied psychology and do NOT want to hear ‘dont think too much’ when I talk bout my feelings.

Im just a BIG GRUMPY mama bear right now:(

Yes, it is the rain.

They say it’s ending Wednesday. They say.

I dont know why but no one in Taiwan ever talks about their feelings. Its almost like relationship is more military like, in a sense that its all about rules and discipline, but not feelings. For example in social functions theres a lot of these type of things and people will make any ranks they see fit, as in who is older or whatever.

Rahimiii I know exactly what you’re talking about. I call it emotional constipation. See it a lot in the British. Do you really WANT to break through those walls sometimes ? IF it’s really worth it it can be done.

[quote=“Battery9”]it is the rain…
I’m just irritated because in 6 years I havent found one single close female friend that like things that I do. I’m a girl and I play X-box, [/quote]

Hang out with Miltownkid, he’s nice to girls who like X-box. :smiley:

I get what you’re saying, you have a bit more intrest in other things in life. You aren’t going to meet many foreign women who are into what you are. TWese women, I don’t know, but considering that quite a few do like Cosplay,I’m certain that you’d be able to find some that do enjoy video games, and other creative adventures.

Good luck and don’t give up.

[quote=“Battery9”] And even the friends that I do have, I don’t have that much in common with…

I miss having close relationships with people…I feel like I spend most of my time with 5 yr olds…and that it’s robbing my IQ…

WHen I do meet interesting people it’s on the weekend and I’m so tired that I struggle to even speak English![/quote]

Hey Battery9…
I know EXACTLY what you are feeling! I was in that space myself during my last year in TW. A pel used to say teaching kindie in TW for so long DUMS ONE DOWN! And he was also there for 7 years like me, before leaving. After teaching kindie from 9am to 7.30pm for 5 days a week as well as Sat. mornings, all I wanted to do was sleep for the remainder of the weekend, only to start the hellish cycle all over again on Monday. It was not fair to my family and it was not fair to my emotional and physical health. My last year in Taiwan saw the latter going downhill rapidly. I was also in an emotional place that I do not wish my worst enemy to be in. And the “friends” I thought I had, were none the wiser to my plight.

Everything changed when we finally left TW for HK! I don’t teach (somebody said) “ankle-biters” anymore (though I do miss most of them dearly!) and I have much more time for my wife and kids, a great living environment and plenty of time to re-gain the lost brain-cells (remember the “dumming-down”?) I virtually live in the library, on the athletic track and on the beach. And quess what: We’re also earning a crap load more than in TW while working fewer hours! :bravo:

Methinks you have to think about changing your environment too? :unamused:

Change is good…

Best wishes,
Mike

Though I don’t think you should consider returning to SA just yet. Did you see the snow in Plettenberg Bay?!!
Here:
flickr.com/photos/the-yellow … 238490809/