Social opportunities for 'foreigners' older than 40

Are you tired of dealing with precocious 38-year-olds?
Fed up with 20 and 30-somethings who think they know it all? If your answer is yes, yes, yes, we have the cure you need: The Taipei Over-40s Group!

The Taipei Over-40s Group is just that - a group of older people who have at least that much in common: being born before 1965.

This is intended as a social group that will meet at least once a month for lunch or dinner, and occasionally for walks (not too gruelling), special outings to arts and cultural events etc. There are no hard and fast rules - let’s talk about what we’d like the group to be, and what we would like to do.

This group is modelled on a similar group in Seoul, South Korea, which is very successful.

The first meeting is set for Sunday November 14, at 11am. We’ll brunch at a pleasant outdoor patio overlooking a small lake at Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall park. The cafe has an indoor section if the weather is not good.

We’ll follow that with a short walk up Tiger Mountain Trail, which is a little way east of the Taipei 101 Building. The view of 101 and the city from the top is worth the grind up the short hill.

The patio-cafe is called Big Tom, and is at the west entrance to Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall park. If coming by MRT, take Exit 3 of the SYS Memorial Hall MRT station, turn left onto Guangfu South Road and walk down (heading south) about 150 metres until you reach the vehicle entrance. The entrance into Big Tom Cafe is a short distance further.

All 40s and over welcome - Taiwanese and foreigners of all nationalities.

Please email davidbeattie2001@yahoo.com or call 0930-054-779 for more information. Please, no youngsters.

Could you post that in a bigger font please, young lad ?

Is the walk suitable for Zimmer frames ?

(I initially posted this on the Sports, Fun and Games forum, but that forum gets very little action, so I am taking the liberty of putting it here too. Moderators, this is very much about “Living in Taiwan,” so please let it stay. Foreigners 40ish and older have few places and opportunities to meet others in the same boat, and with whom they might want to socialize.

Welcome to the launch of the Taipei Over-40s Group!
The Taipei Over-40s Group is just that - a group of older people who have at least that much in common: being born before 1965.

This is intended as a social group that will meet at least once a month for lunch or dinner, and occasionally for walks (not too gruelling), special outings to arts and cultural events etc. There are no hard and fast rules - let’s talk about what we’d like the group to be, and what we would like to do.

This group is modelled on a similar group in Seoul, South Korea, which is very successful.

The first meeting is set for Sunday November 14, at 11am. We’ll brunch at a pleasant outdoor patio overlooking a small lake at Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall park. The cafe has an indoor section if the weather is not good.

We’ll follow that with a short walk up Tiger Mountain Trail, which is a little way east of the Taipei 101 Building. The view of 101 and the city from the top is worth the grind up the short hill.

The patio-cafe is called Big Tom, and is at the west entrance to Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall park. If coming by MRT, take Exit 3 of the SYS Memorial Hall MRT station, turn left onto Guangfu South Road and walk down (heading south) about 150 metres until you reach the vehicle entrance. The entrance into Big Tom Cafe is a short distance further.

All 40s and over welcome - Taiwanese and foreigners of all nationalities.

Please email davidbeattie2001@yahoo.com or call 0930-054-779 for more information.

Sound’s like just what I need. But I’m only 39. Will I really have to wait until next year? :frowning:

No, you don’t have to wait - you can come too. Just stay really cool and act mature. Don’t start rapping or, like, saying ‘like’ or ‘totally’ a lot, or wear hip-hop gear - LOL. You should fit right in.

Can I bring my dog for the walk?

Yes, you are welcome to bring your dog. I think it’s a good idea to have it on a leash, of course.

Shouldn’t the dog be over 6 in people years?

The first meeting of the Over 40s group went well, with six of us turning out in perfect weather for brunch and a walk. Actually there were seven of us, if you count Frankie the labrador, who is 10 in people years and was therefore the most senior soul at the meeting.

We decided to meet every two weeks, on weekends, for cultural events, day and maybe even weekend trips, and walks and hikes.

The next event is set for Sunday November 28. We intend to meet for brunch at the Grand Hotel, on the ground floor, at 11am. More specific directions to follow. At 1pm, weather permitting, we’ll do a mild hike from Shilin to Neihu. It’s a 10km legstretcher, in trees most of the way. Should take three to four hours.

If you’d like to join for the walk only, meet at the main entrance to the Grand Hotel at 1pm. The nearest MRT station is Jiantan (Red line). Exiting from either Exit 1 or 2, cross Zhongshan North Road that runs parallel to the MRT guideway at this point, and head south - toward the city. About five to 10 minutes later you’ll see a path to the hotel on your left.

Please wear sensible footwear and bring raingear and bottled water.

Can I attend only the brunch without upsetting the other old-timers? Unfortunately I work on Sundays and won’t be able to do the walk, although I’d love to as I dig hiking.
By the way, WTF is sensible footwear? Slippers? :smiley:

Information for the Over 40s meeting on SUNDAY NOVEMBER 28:

• WHERE:
    Meet at Jiantan MRT Station, Exit Two. (That’s Exit 2). On the Red Line.

• TIME:
    11am

• WHAT:

1. Brunch at the Kiss Cafe, a 3-minute walk from the MRT station.
    This is a great place, the value for money is unbeatable, and they have a pensioners’ special!

$250 includes main course (pasta or chicken and rice etc), corn soup (refillable), french bread and crab sauce (refillable), dessert and drink.
Sorry, the Grand Hotel is out.

1. Walk in the Woods: Either a 5km or 10km route, from Shilin to Neihu. The route starts near the Grand Hotel, climbs to the top of a ridge, in trees all the way, and goes more or less straight east. Great views over northern suburbs and Taipei city.

At the halfway point it is easy to drop down to a busy road and take a bus back to the MRT line. The 10km route also ends near bus stops.

Please wear good walking shoes and bring water and snacks for the hike.
Email hikerboy001@yahoo.ca for more info.

Is this a gay thing or is this a geezer singles blind date sort of social club?
Isn’t this a Dating and Relationships thing?

No, it’s not a “gay thing” or a “dating thing” and yes, it is a “relationships thing” - people meeting other people and having a “relationship” or what used to be called a friendship.

If people meet other people and decide to have a romantic relationship that is up to them, but that is not the specific intention of this group. It is like a hiking group or a soccer team or a games club or an orchestra - people meet for a specific purpose and maybe some of them take it further and maybe none of them do.

It is a social and activities group for people 40 and older, of all nationalities, who speak at least a little English. The specific purpose is social interaction, I would have thought that was self-evident.

No, it’s not a “gay thing” or a “dating thing” and yes, it is a “relationships thing” - people meeting other people and having a “relationship” or what used to be called a friendship.

If people meet other people and decide to have a romantic relationship that is up to them, but that is not the specific intention of this group. It is like a hiking group or a soccer team or a games club or an orchestra - people meet for a specific purpose and maybe some of them take it further and maybe none of them do.

It is a social and activities group for people 40 and older, of all nationalities, who speak at least a little English. The specific purpose is social interaction, I would have thought that was self-evident.

The third event for the group is set for Sunday, December 12.

WHERE:
We meet at Chiang Kai Shek MRT Station, Exit FIVE (5).

WHAT TIME:

• Meet at 10:30am please.

WHAT:
Three parts - brunch, a short walk, and a visit to a museum. People ask if they can come on one or the other. OF COURSE - you are not in the army now!

ONE: THE BRUNCH: 10:30am
The brunch this week is at Oma Ursel’s Restaurant-Cafe, a Sino-German restaurant! Just kidding, it is authentic German cuisine prepared by a Taiwanese woman who spent many years in Germany. Lunch prices run about $250 to $300.

It is about a 10 minute walk from the MRT station to Yongkang Street.

1. THE WALK: 12:30pm
    The walk this week is very mild indeed - a 15-minute walk from Yongkang Street to the Botanical Gardens, or a short cab ride if we so choose.
    The Botanical Gardens are pleasant, featuring a renowned Lotus Pond. The gardens are not particularly large, and a stroll around should take about a half hour to an hour.

If not coming to the brunch, meet us at the Botanic Gardens. Call me on 0912-909-116 and I will come and find you.

1. THE MUSEUM: 1:30pm (about)
    The National History Museum is right next to the Botanical Gardens.

Call me or email with any questions. Over 40s with spouses or partners under 40 can bring them, if they behave!