Socialization and homeschooling

Define struggling socially. I don’t understand what this means. That they can’t talk with people?

This whole, “They are so mature for their age” is most definitely not my son. I am not worried about that at all.

People around your age (in their 30s ) who don’t know how to interact? Sad to say, that is much of your generation. Cell phones as a whole have destroyed many younger people’s ability to interact with each other; I don’t see homeschooling having much to do with it.

I think you were very lucky to have had the opportunities that you had with your friends as a child. Things have changed for kids. The running around barefoot in the woods is not something that is possible here - he would step on meth needles. And we do try to allow as much social interaction as he desires, including with kids his age- he is the guide of that.

I was also a teacher for almost a decade, and I just don’t buy it. There is an inculcation that is a large part of the underlying methodology of school that is creating good 9-5 workers. The “socialization” that you speak of at school,

is what I fundamentally have problems with. My experience both as a teacher, and even moreso, watching my son at school here in Canada, is that school teaches largely negative social skills. How to bully, how to escape bullying, how to create cliques, and how to emotionally manipulate groups (the followers) to a very small groups (the leaders or even teachers) advantage. And that is just the students. The teachers are often even worse, and largely have drank the Kool aid thinking that they know better and are somehow teaching invaluable life skills- when the opposite is often the case; authoritarianism has no place in actual education.

On a side note, I appreciate the concern, and I didn’t take your post personally in any way. Like I said before, this is a bit of a push button topic for me, for many reasons.

And all this being said, we do try to get our son to spend as much time as he can with people in general, including kids his age. When we are travelling, we will stop at most locations for around a month ago or so, so we will see what we can find for him to do away from us, and with other people/kids, both for our sanity and for him.

Apologies for the epic post. Rant over.

5 Likes