Socializing

IS there any good venues in Taipei where forigners hang out and socialize? ideally places that isnt too far a MRT stop

You can get a Guinness and some conversation at Carnagies

I have no clue what or where carnagies is…

Bobwundaye is close to the Liuzhangli MRT station on the Muzha line.

taipeitimes.com/News/feat/ar … 2003091551

Roach’s house is quite good.

not that close to an mrt station though :wink:

Go to an Animals Taiwan event. They are usually at an MRT station. It’d put you in touch with a different sort of crowd…

Aiya why is everyone so unhelpful on this?

My Other Place is close to Zhongshiao Fuxing station. Turn right out of the station and walk down to the lights, its next to the Mitsubishi garage.

Carnegies is on An He Rd close to the Far Eastern hotel. Taxis in Taipei are not expensive and they mostly know carnegies if you soften the G.

The Tavern is very close to 101 at the junction of Xinyi and Keelung (pronounce Jeelung for Taxi drivers) opposite Citibank.

Hope you find some fun nights out.

rahimiii, are you being serious here? I’m asking because it’s a bit unlikely that someone who’s been here in Taiwan for a while and browsed Forumosa for a while hasn’t picked up on a lot of this information already.

If you are being serious, please be more specific on what you’re looking for as far as socializing and I’m sure a lot of people will give you more information. Places Edgar A mentioned are good, but there’s so much more, too much to list unless you are more clear on what you want.

Maybe because it’s like the stupidest question EVER.
Seriously.

[quote=“tash”]rahimiii, are you being serious here? I’m asking because it’s a bit unlikely that someone who’s been here in Taiwan for a while and browsed Forumosa for a while hasn’t picked up on a lot of this information already.

If you are being serious, please be more specific on what you’re looking for as far as socializing and I’m sure a lot of people will give you more information. Places Edgar A mentioned are good, but there’s so much more, too much to list unless you are more clear on what you want.[/quote]

I dont know why are you guys being mean for asking a simple question. No I havent been able to find that kind of information on forumosa because I dont really know where to look. I am looking for a place like a coffee bar or something, where people just go there to socialize and not just eat and leave. I am not into going into restraunts where you are expected to spend at least 300 NT on a tiny meal just to be there, because I dont make 60,000 NT a month like most of you guys, I work a minimum wage job and while 300 is not much but it does stack up if you do it too often. I mean I guess you could meet people at MRT trains or whatever but that’s not really the best place to socialize, but a venue where people go there just for that would be nice. Kinda like The Rock Coffee Bar in Danshui (you know the one thats run by a church) but not church related stuff…

If you guys think this is a stupid question then ask yourself, what if you didnt know something that somehow everyone else should know, and you dont?? I do not believe there are such a thing as stupid question, just that people dont ask enough questions then start making conclusions without facts. If you find any grammar mistakes please keep them… this is not English 306 at the University of Texas nor is this an english class at any school in Taiwan.

Ahem.

With the budget you’ve got, you’ll want to avoid the Tavern, Carnegies, and My Other Place. They are wonderful establishments offering excellent value for the money, but you’ll need to be properly bankrolled in order to enjoy them, and they ain’t cheap. Wait until you’re making the big dollars.

For lower budget but nicely atmosphered fun, I recommend the Odeon I and Odeon II cafes. You’ll find them via a search here (they may have changed names recently). The food is good and priced at $175 for a set menu. Lots of Westerners there, generally on their best behavior.

Alleycats (Lishui Jie or Neihu) is also an excellent option. If you go with a friend and share a pizza, you’ll be within budget.

Those are a few places to get you started.

Seriously.[/quote]

Hey Josefus, I’ve lived in 5 countries and worked in 12 from a regional role. Taipei is universally recognised as a hard place to find your feet and most professional expats will only come for a day or two as a result. It took me about 6 weeks to even start to find my way around in a competent manner…so HOW is this the stupidest question ever?

[quote]
Seriously.[/quote]

[quote]
Hey Josefus, I’ve lived in 5 countries and worked in 12 from a regional role. Taipei is universally recognised as a hard place to find your feet and most professional expats will only come for a day or two as a result. It took me about 6 weeks to even start to find my way around in a competent manner…so HOW is this the stupidest question ever?[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

Yeah, ya big unhelpful poopyhead. :raspberry:

:laughing:

I’ll tell you how. You’ve been here a little over a month.
By what is sure to be a sheer coincidence, rahimiiii joined EXACTLY to the day, one year before that.
I find it hard to believe someone couldn’t figure out where to find foreigners after spending 1 hour on this treasure trove, let alone over a year.
No hard feelings, eh. :sunglasses:

Hmm interesting logic. I don’t know Rahimiiii but I have been in Taiwan for almost a year, so is it possible Rahimiiii joined Forumosa a year ago but has only recently arrived?

Anyways, there may be other newbies who struggle and will read the thread and go, “like yeah thats useful, thanks”.

Oh & of course no hard feelings :slight_smile:

rahimiii:

[quote]I don’t know why are you guys being mean for asking a simple question.

If you guys think this is a stupid question.[/quote]
It’s not being mean, just cautious, because a lot of posters play the “Where can I find sour cream in Taipei” spoof, myself included, so it wouldn’t be far fetched to think you were doing that.

Of course it’s not a stupid question and now that you’ve explained better what you are looking for, it’s a lot easier to give you advice.

On the budget that you’ve mentioned, I don’t know many places, though. Tomas mentioned some… perhaps you could gravitate towards the student area of ShiDa / Guting / Gongguan. That seems to be on the reasonable side, generally. Does anyone know any specific hangouts there?

Why don’t you go to the HH at the Tavern on Saturday? I can’t recommend it from personal experience, but I hear the food is good and they seem to have reasonable prices for HHs. Plus, most importantly, you’ll get to meet a lot of Forumosans at one time.

I think you still need a budget and that’s tough for rahimiiii. Maybe the best bet is to hook up with some of the Forumosan “clubs” like Mucha Man’s hiking thing, there’s some hoop guys (check my .sig and you gotta like to play hoops), Animal “club” (lots of Forumosan’s involved there) and you can get to meet up with cool “foreign” folks here for fun and relatively cheap.

Me, I’d like to get a tea club going. Food club just takes up too much time (which I don’t have) and can’t be done spontaneously enough unfortunately :frowning:.

The other option is as recommended is to hit up local Happy Hour clubs… that was a bit a social life saver for me at the beginning when I was new and I had friends and family here already.

If I lived in Tapei, I would join the Forumosa hiking club. From what I read, they do a lot of really fun stuff, the kind of thing I used to do all the time when I lived in the Rockys. Nothing like sitting on top of a mountain with a handful of good friends.

I would also join Animals Taiwan. They have events regularly and they also get together for all kind of fun projects like building things and baking. Leave out the baking for me but building and restoring things that’s totally my alley and I know I would get to meet Forumosans and all kinds of other people both foreign and locals. I love animals too, it’s always nice to have friendly pooches around.

You asked for “venues.” I think the above are just that. As far as businesses frequented by foreigners, I can’t help you much aside from the popular places others have already mentioned because I only go from what I read on Forumosa. I live in Kaohsiung.

bobepine