Sofa bed

Any idea where to find sofa beds other than IKEA and factory outlets (e.g. 德新家具). We need one for our guest room in our new house, and my wife is being misled by numerous accounts from countless taiwanese blogs saying that sofa beds are poor, “in Taiwan we don’t use sofa beds” etc etc. It’s for a guest room and will be used for real a few times a year at most, so it doesn’t matter if it’s not top flite comfort…

I’m in Taoyuan, but could consider sourcing it from TPE if needed.

Thanks!

shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=stor … _NO=CCAA0F
search.ruten.com.tw/search/s000. … %A7%C9&c=0

I know you say “other than IKEA”, but we bought a great sofa-bed from the Swedish masters of bland a couple of years ago - very comfortable both sitting and sleeping, and sturdy with it. Ran us about NT$15k, I seem to remember.

I also bought a sofa-bed in Tainan years ago from a local manufacturer, which was much less impressive. Uncomfortable for more than a quick kip, and it fell apart after a couple of years. “In Taiwan we don’t use sofa beds” seems a bit strange, as there are always a few in each of those big furniture stores in Wugu (which you might also consider trying, though it’s a bit of a trek from Taoyuan).

We bought our sofa bed from IKEA in Taoyuan, and it’s a godsend!
It’s sturdy (we’ve had a couple who together weigh 250kg+ sleep on it for 2 weeks!), well-made, and the mattress is really comfy. It folds up and out easily, has a durable cover, scatter cushions, and it looks good, too! The wife likes to curl up on it when she reads.

We’ve searched all over - mom and pop furniture shops, big local furniture shops, B&Q, Homebox, the works, but nothing came close to the one we bought at IKEA. I’m not a true fan of DIY furniture, but assembly was quite manageable, and I didn’t pinch my fingers or strip a nut. :slight_smile:

Maybe you could check it out (the tag is a little worn, sorry): Lycksele Sofa bed 900.326.81
and 18557. For something made in China, it’s been doing a great job the past 3 years!

Ps. Some of these beds that were made BEFORE 2005 were recalled because they had missing plastic covers for the folding mechanisms. Ours was made after that date, and we don’t have that problem.

Good luck with your search!

Thanks guys,

I do like IKEA’s stuff a lot, but my wife seems to have a problem with the models we’ve seen there. We planned to go to Wugu, but I assume it will be very similar to what we saw at De Xin Jia Ju, a local manufacturer. There’s always some boutique shops in Taipei which may carry some obscure, refined stuff (read very expensive), but I’d stay away from them.

Buying online could offer more choice, but it’s hard to get a feel for the thing.

I think I’ll continue massaging Ikea’s ones into my wife’s head, she may change her mind. Her “we don’t use it in Taiwan” was mostly aimed at justifying buying a full sized bed, which would not leave enough space to sit at the desk…

Cheers,

is it this one?

I looked at it and liked it, but I wasnt sure of the mechanism

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/1757/42265376ne1.jpg

Its my main concern since I also had a local made sofa-bed and the hinge fell apart after about 1 year so before I drop 10k on a sofa bed, I wanted ot make sure it lasted more than 12 months - I have visitors coming next month so I need a second sleeping place

I really like the Lovas, but am more worried by this hinge - any experiences would be great

I guess if it’s sitting against the wall in sofa configuration, the hinge should not take too much load. I’d be affraid for that kind of hing to take up the load on its own in the long run…

Our one like the one with the cover was two years old, we picked it up for 2,000twd on yahoo auction. We’ve had it several months and is working fine. You can get some really nice second-hand Ikea furniture on auction sites cheap if you have the time to wait. We got our favorite 2-seater Ikea sofa for 500twd. It has feather-filled cushions and a good wooden frame.

You can also get high-quality inflatable mattresses (e.g. at Costco). Just another option to consider. It will cost much less and take up much less space.

Dragonbones: That could also be an option indeed. I don’t recall seeing them in Costco. I think they must be in the center aisles, but I hang out mostly in the wine and meat section ;-).

Do you remember seeign a model with an integrated blower/compressor? I few years ago these were selling like hotcakes in Canada.

[quote=“BladeRunner”]Dragonbones: That could also be an option indeed. I don’t recall seeing them in Costco. I think they must be in the center aisles, but I hang out mostly in the wine and meat section ;-).

Do you remember seeign a model with an integrated blower/compressor? I few years ago these were selling like hotcakes in Canada.[/quote]

We got one at Costco 5 months ago, in Neihu Costco it was on the top floor right next to the people-mover that takes you down to the first floor bakery area. It was about US$60 as I recall, it was all integrated, and it expanded fast and was HUGE and was decent quality - one of the top 5 deals I’ve had in Taiwan I should think (after the Japanese toilet seat anyway).

Costco in Taibei’s Neihu branch had a mattress as of yesterday, near the folding tables and chairs. (EDIT – right where TwoTongues said) :idunno: It was (very) roughly $3000. I didn’t look at the details, but there should be portable compressors available, as well as bicycle pumps, and human mouths. I’m sure you could order similar things online too, at Ruten.

[quote=“itakitez”]

is it this one?

I looked at it and liked it, but I wasn’t sure of the mechanism[/quote]

It looks like it, sure.
We had the IKEA people take off the mattress so that we could check out the “innards”!
They grumbled, but we got the service, and opened and closed it a few more times than necessary just to be difficult. You have a choice of two mattresses; we got the most expensive one and chose the denim cover. We have yet to regret buying it; not a smidgen of rust or any other problems. WE LIKE OUR SOFA BED! :bravo:

Costco? Do they offer high-quality products there?

Hi SleepyDude, welcome to Forumosa! :slight_smile:

Dunno about sofa beds, but if you’re asking the question about Costco’s products in general please post the question in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=86075